Page 1 of 20

In memoriam 2017

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:51 am
by TapitsGal
New year sad that we must have this new thread

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:46 pm
by PONYRCR
*following*

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm
by Sparrow Castle
Hate putting a post here on the first day of 2017.

Matt Dinerman ‏@3coltshandicap
Tap It In, a 10 YO who hadn't run in 3 yrs, was just euthanized after taking a bad step. This is heartbreaking to see. Sorry for sad update.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm
by WarBiscuit
Sparrow Castle wrote:Hate putting a post here on the first day of 2017.

Matt Dinerman ‏@3coltshandicap
Tap It In, a 10 YO who hadn't run in 3 yrs, was just euthanized after taking a bad step. This is heartbreaking to see. Sorry for sad update.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB
I just put him in the War Horse database this morning :( . Not a pleasant way to start the new year. A Jay Em Ess horse at one time...

RIP Tap It In.

WarBiscuit

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 pm
by BlindLucky
Sparrow Castle wrote:Hate putting a post here on the first day of 2017.

Matt Dinerman ‏@3coltshandicap
Tap It In, a 10 YO who hadn't run in 3 yrs, was just euthanized after taking a bad step. This is heartbreaking to see. Sorry for sad update.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB
Surprised Golden Gate let him start. A 10 year old who hasn't raced in 3 years with only 3 official works in the last 60 days? I guess that must just meet their bare-bones requirements.

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 am
by Catalina
Sure makes you wonder about the connections. RIP Tap It In, you deserved far, far better.

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 am
by Sparrow Castle
Huge loss...

Country Life Farm Patriarch sic Mary Jo Pons Dies at 87
Mary Jo Pons, matriarch of Maryland's Country Life Farm and a driving force behind the Radio Reading Network of Maryland, died of natural causes on Monday evening, Jan. 1 at Bright View Assisted Living in Bel Air, Md. She was 87.

At her home on the farm, Pons cared for her ailing in-laws, raised five children, and became famous for her gracious Preakness Stakes (G1) parties, held on the Thursday before the Pimlico Race Course classic each year.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... dies-at-87

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:26 am
by TapitsGal
It should be a crime to let owners and trainers enter a horse to race after being off for three or four years.RIP Tap It In

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 pm
by PONYRCR
TapitsGal wrote:It should be a crime to let owners and trainers enter a horse to race after being off for three or four years.RIP Tap It In
Dubai Bob was off from June 2013 until Nov 2016, came back at age 6 (granted it's not age 10) and is unbeaten in his two races since his return. He just won on the 1st at Gulfstream.

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:05 pm
by Catalina
PONYRCR wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:It should be a crime to let owners and trainers enter a horse to race after being off for three or four years.RIP Tap It In
Dubai Bob was off from June 2013 until Nov 2016, came back at age 6 (granted it's not age 10) and is unbeaten in his two races since his return. He just won on the 1st at Gulfstream.
Just because there's one (or maybe even a few more than one), there's a lot more horses that broke down in their first few races after such an ill-advised return. The question that invariably pops up in my brain is whether the connections are just plain greedy, or does it become a toss up between plain greed and grudging the horse the upkeep?

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:06 pm
by genuinerizk
Ruhl Paul broke down today at Mahoning

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Running for Annie broke down in the 1st race at Turf Paradise Jan. 3 and was euthanized. Sounds like neither she nor any of the other horses should have been running on that track. :(

Turf Paradise cancelled after the first race on Tuesday following a spill in the stretch that involved the fatal breakdown of the 3-year-old filly Running for Annie.
Racing had resumed at the Phoenix, Ariz., track after the Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 cards were called off. Equibase listed “track conditions” as the reason for the cancellations. The National Weather Service recorded .20 inches of rain on Jan. 1 in Phoenix.
Running for Annie, an Arizona-bred daughter of Margie's Wildcat, was making her third career start in a $12,500 maiden claiming race to open the day's card and was the 5-2 second choice.
Ridden by Jake Barton, Running for Annie rallied wide into the stretch but had just one horse beaten when she appeared to fracture a foreleg, sending her jockey to the ground heavily. Barton did not suffer any serious injury, according to his agent, Mark Anderson. Running for Annie was euthanized.

Read more: http://www.paulickreport.com/horseplaye ... els-spill/

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:57 pm
by Catalina
It's sad that they aren't better at determining what constitutes unsafe conditions without a horse breaking down first. RIP Running for Annie.

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 am
by Sparrow Castle
Smart French jumps sire Astarabad dies at 22
ASTARABAD, a French sire who was in good form over the festive period, died last month. The son of Alleged was 22.

A mainstay of Haras de la Croix Sonnet for many years, he was in retirement and had not sired any foals since 2014.
http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 2/2223453/

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 am
by WaquoitNBroadBrush
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Turf Paradise cancelled after the first race on Tuesday following a spill in the stretch that involved the fatal breakdown of the 3-year-old filly Running for Annie.
Racing had resumed at the Phoenix, Ariz., track after the Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 cards were called off. Equibase listed “track conditions” as the reason for the cancellations. The National Weather Service recorded .20 inches of rain on Jan. 1 in Phoenix.
That's a whopping one-fifth of an inch. I guess that's enough rain to cause chaos in Arizona, the way an inch of snow can shut down Alabama. Hasn't Turf Paradise switched dirt races to the turf course on occasion over the years when "downpours" like this have put the main track out of commission?

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 am
by Izvestia
South African champion Harry's Son has died. RIP Harry

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:50 am
by Catalina
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Turf Paradise cancelled after the first race on Tuesday following a spill in the stretch that involved the fatal breakdown of the 3-year-old filly Running for Annie.
Racing had resumed at the Phoenix, Ariz., track after the Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 cards were called off. Equibase listed “track conditions” as the reason for the cancellations. The National Weather Service recorded .20 inches of rain on Jan. 1 in Phoenix.
That's a whopping one-fifth of an inch. I guess that's enough rain to cause chaos in Arizona, the way an inch of snow can shut down Alabama. Hasn't Turf Paradise switched dirt races to the turf course on occasion over the years when "downpours" like this have put the main track out of commission?
If it hasn't rained in a good while and then the .20 inch comes down real fast, it can make for problems.

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:29 pm
by sweettalk
Izvestia wrote:South African champion Harry's Son has died. RIP Harry
http://www.laffertyracing.co.za/rip-harrys-son-2/

what a nightmare for everyone involved :cry:

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm
by WarBiscuit
sweettalk wrote:
Izvestia wrote:South African champion Harry's Son has died. RIP Harry
http://www.laffertyracing.co.za/rip-harrys-son-2/

what a nightmare for everyone involved :cry:
What a tough break. To go through all that he did - and then for the heart to give out. RIP Harry's Son.

WarBiscuit

Re: In memoriam 2017

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm
by Catalina
WarBiscuit wrote:
sweettalk wrote:
Izvestia wrote:South African champion Harry's Son has died. RIP Harry
http://www.laffertyracing.co.za/rip-harrys-son-2/

what a nightmare for everyone involved :cry:
What a tough break. To go through all that he did - and then for the heart to give out. RIP Harry's Son.

WarBiscuit
That is so heart-breaking. RIP Harry's Son, RIP.