New track in Massachusetts?

WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -new-track

As Suffolk Downs dies, its former owners and the Mass. HBPA have announced a partnership to develop a new, full-time thoroughbred track.

All I can think of are the words of Ted Kennedy, "The work begins anew. The hope rises again. And the dream lives on."
Tessablue

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:33 pm

This rumor has floated around a few times, but it feels a lot more concrete and hopeful now. Fingers crossed- I do wonder what sites they are thinking about. Raynham and Brockton are out, right?
Miss Woodford

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:23 am

Why not renovate Suffolk?
Insane Crazy

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 am

Miss Woodford wrote:Why not renovate Suffolk?
Location/area, maybe? Also, isn't it slated for development?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Miss Woodford

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
So they think a track in a less central location will do better? This whole idea sounds dumber than the "make a new track in KY because Kentucky Downs is doing too well" thing.
Insane Crazy

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:57 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:
So they think a track in a less central location will do better? This whole idea sounds dumber than the "make a new track in KY because Kentucky Downs is doing too well" thing.
More that it's not in a great neighborhood as far as I understand. Boutique meet doesn't need quite as much access if it's still within reason...but I don't totally disagree with you. I'm just pointing out why Suffolk isn't an option. The whole "new owners wanna bulldoze it" thing is likely the bigger issue.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am

It is being renovated... into a shopping mall or soccer stadium.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 pm

The site is also being pitched to Amazon for the site of its planned second HQ. The city government is behind that idea 100 percent.

Corporate, retail, hotels, luxury housing ... any of them, unfortunately, promises a greater return on investment than horse racing does for the new owners of the property.