Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 am

Los Alamitos Racing‏Verified account @losalracing
Los Alamitos has cancelled its daytime TB program on Friday afternoon. Simulcasting will be available and night racing will still be conducted. More to follow. @TVG @DRFInsidePost @DRFAndersen @BH_JBalan @BloodHorse @TwinSpires @ToddTVG @icecoldexacta @NYRABets @qheddie
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 am

Totally agree...the backstretch workers are amazing people and what I saw on video of people trying to save those horses was incredible bravery. Not just horses...one guy saved a large white goat. All of us who know backstretch life are aware of many barn buddy animals.

At of 11:11pm EST, they are still awaiting the news conference from the are of that Lilac fire. Also new live report from the CBS8 reporter at Del Mar. People keep rolling in with trailers carrying rescued horses. Not all of the horses are from SLR. Lots of people in northern San Diego County have horses and many are being evacuated to Del Mar. There was a shot of dozens of volunteers trying to calm horses that were put in stalls at Del Mar. Wonderful response from the community.
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:http://www.pe.com/2017/12/07/lilac-fire-in-san-diego-county-destroys-2-buildings-burns-350-acres/

I'm disappointed that none of the racing news sites has a mention of this. :(

I'm monitoring these fires 24/7 given some clients that live in/around the area. The way these things spread is insane.. it's hard to keep up. I doubt I would if I didn't have companies updating me and even then they're slow.. it's not like racing is 24/7 news.

My heart breaks over these things. I so hope for happy endings. I can't imagine..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 am

Ridan, Are you watching this channel? I sure hope that wasn't his own horse. What a horror!

I saw on FB that Cliff Sise said on CBS 8 said that he watched one of his horses burn to death while he tried to save her...he estimates around 15 horses have passed away so far...
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
6m6 minutes ago
Dunham said he doesn't know the status of a lot of his horses.

"We don't know. Nobody knows where a lot of them ended up. It's going to be a while before everyone finds their horses. There were 20 vans in there with us and we were just grabbing horses and putting them in."
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 am

Sparrow Castle

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Ridan, Are you watching this channel? I sure hope that wasn't his own horse. What a horror!

I saw on FB that Cliff Sise said on CBS 8 said that he watched one of his horses burn to death while he tried to save her...he estimates around 15 horses have passed away so far...

I'm streaming CBS 8 tv news in San Diego. I also saw that about Cliff Sise trying to save his mare, but she died in front of him. Just horrible.

Right now that news conference is happening. The fire captain said there are a lot of resources to help evacuate large animals, but the fire moved to fast to get those resources to SLR. Fire is moving toward Oceanside and Camp Pendleton, and the captain said the fire might go all the way through Oceanside to the coast. So far no human lives lost, and four injuries to people. The captain had no information about the horses at SLR.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 am

Ugh.
Amazing what's going on at Del Mar. Volunteers and horses are still arriving.

zoecadman‏ @zoecadman
9m9 minutes ago
Arrived @DelMarRacing - an amazing turnout of people to help - probably at least a 100 non racetrack people here

Jason Jocher‏ @PHRJason
From my brother @mjocher77 helping @DelMarRacing . Very very busy. Hats off to those that dropped everything to be there to help.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:52 am

This is good to hear. I assume they are also looking for smoke inhalation signs.

Del Mar's George Bradvica, who is coordinating the volunteer effort there, says there will be a need for volunteers around 2 a.m. at Del Mar. At that time, they'll be assigning people to shedrows to watch horses for signs of colic, and to make sure they all have water.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Still a lot to sort out.

Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff
3m3 minutes ago
If any rescuers from SLR have found this small plain bay filly please let me know.

1m1 minute ago
Trainer Dan Dunham reports some horses were discovered dead on the track at San Luis Rey, while they were trying to round up loose horses. He thinks they probably died from smoke inhalation. He's not sure how many.

It's so sad to see the pleas from folks hoping to find their horses safe and sound. This is Sean's 3rd or 4th tweet about his filly and Brian still knows nothing about the majority of his horses. My heart breaks for them. I'd be so worried if mine had been stabled there.

Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff
Missing from San Luis Rey: International Diva (IRE) she is NOT tattooed but her microchip number is 985101045248102 she is no taller than 15.2

Brian Trump‏ @realBrianTrump
Retweeted zoecadman
Zoe, if you see any of our horses please share.
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing