New Year Hopes 'n Dreams

Re: New Year Hopes 'n Dreams

Postby stark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Stark, I agree

Okay if I save that quote and refer to it at some date in the future?

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

Any New Year we still have to deal with Christmas returns, and I have a few, curious if you do too?

1) The prevailing attitude of I want it now, I want it live and I want to have it in HD left a few casualties in its wake. That being the regional nightly recap shows on your local TV station, the most recent being the Sam Spear show in the SF Bay area. Usually low production costs but a good option to Wheel Of Fortune.

2) The cry from a few speaking for the masses, "The technology exists, there's absolutely no reason the industry shouldn't be timing the races in the 100ths. Well, it's been almost 30 years since Belmont introduced it and I've yet to hear somebody yell from the rooftops Thank You Jesus, I'm such a much better handicapper because of the change. In fact, it's much more common to hear people continue to talk in 1/5ths of a second, even most race callers, that is with the exception of NY.

So I'm ready to exchange those two "enhancements" for something else, what about you?

My first easy-fix enhancement that shouldn't have any opposition has to be the finish line camera and the amount of time it takes for the stewards to post the OFFICIAL.
And on a related note.....why can only ONE camera be right on the finish line? Stack 'em on top of each other so NBC, TVG etc. can have the official angle to share with the audiences as well.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 pm

The absolute end to horse slaughter and shipping of horses out of the country for the purpose of slaughter. Serious penalties to tracks that allow kill buyer to come onto property for this purpose and trainers and owners who allow their horses to be taken away in this manner.
Ballerina

Postby stark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 pm

Ballerina wrote:The absolute end to horse slaughter and shipping of horses out of the country for the purpose of slaughter. Serious penalties to tracks that allow kill buyer to come onto property for this purpose and trainers and owners who allow their horses to be taken away in this manner.

stark wrote:Curious to read what your hopes 'n dreams for 2018 are, keep it real, as everyone agrees horse's health is the #1 priority, what's #2,3,4 on your list?
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 pm

stark wrote:
Ballerina wrote:The absolute end to horse slaughter and shipping of horses out of the country for the purpose of slaughter. Serious penalties to tracks that allow kill buyer to come onto property for this purpose and trainers and owners who allow their horses to be taken away in this manner.

stark wrote:Curious to read what your hopes 'n dreams for 2018 are, keep it real, as everyone agrees horse's health is the #1 priority, what's #2,3,4 on your list?

I was keeping it real and SPECIFIC about horse health. Do I really have to comment on #2,3,4?!~
Ballerina

Postby stark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm

How about Electronic Medical Records....

Should a medical chart belong to the horse and follow him through the claim to a new barn?
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Should a medical chart belong to the horse and follow him through the claim to a new barn?

YES. It's ridiculous that a new owner doesn't get all the information about a horse's medical history. :roll:
Drug records, X-rays, bone scans, surgical history...everything should go along with a horse, from foaling to death.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm

That's a costly measure.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Catalina » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Somnambulist wrote:That's a costly measure.

How so? The work is already done, all it takes is making a digital copy to go with the horse.
Catalina

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Who is maintaining that system to make sure everything runs smoothly? I know more than one person who went live with EMS when it rolled out in their office. It was very cumbersome and costly from everything I heard.. although this is anecdotal.

I'm also not sure how this is supposed to work without a governing body enforcing EMS and mandating it. Otherwise in my eyes a horse is private property and the owner is fit to do whatever they want.

Other things: free basic pp's. No other sport requires you to pay for stats.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

PreviousNext

Return to Racing