New Year Hopes 'n Dreams

Re: New Year Hopes 'n Dreams

Postby stark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Okay, how about a change in rules for Hall Of Fame voting?

Jockey breaks into the game in 1986.
Voted best apprentice in 1987.
National riding titles in 1987-1988-1989
Most wins in a season 546 in 1989.
Lots of more wins.
VOTED INTO THE HALL OF FAME IN 2004.

2005-2018 and beyond.
Lots of more wins.
Lots of controversy.

Not saying Kent Desermeaux doesn't belong in the HOF, just think the timing was off.
MLB, NBA, NFL, all seem to have more appropriate rules in place, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Other things: free basic pp's. No other sport requires you to pay for stats.

Most PPs are available if you're willing to wager a minimum of ten cents with the various ADW systems.

And there's sites like http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html that try to provide most of the PPs every week, and it's FREE.

http://www.equibase.com/ provides all the historical data you can think of, race charts, by horse etc.

And I'm certain there are even more, possibly better, resources out there for your viewing pleasure.

Sorry, but this issue didn't crack my top 100.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm also not sure how this is supposed to work without a governing body enforcing EMS and mandating it. Otherwise in my eyes a horse is private property and the owner is fit to do whatever they want.

That is probably the crux of the issue of mandating that medical records follow the horse; a horse is property, with no individual rights of its own.
Trying to enforce a rule stipulating that medical records stay with the horse may have as much chance in the courts as trying to make a car owner keep every mechanic/dealer/car parts receipt and pass them on the next buyer. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 pm

A National Racing Czar

Where would he/she come from if you had your way?
Politics?
Business?
Backstretch?
Bench?
Breeding shed?
Wall Street?
Other?

I haven't a clue.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 am

It's got to be someone knowledgeable about and generally respected by horse racing participants. Barry Irwin made a suggestion recently, but I forgot who it was. I don't think it was an old bugger, but names just don't retrieve from my brain as well as they used to. Could have been a woman?
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:42 am

I think medical records can be linked to horses much more easily as the horse population gets microchipped. That would be quite a change wouldn't it? Imagine knowing what you're buying when you purchase and train a racehorse. Imagine it from the horse's point of view. Imagine it from the point of view of aftercare orgs. No more redundant vaccines, diagnostic tests, fewer poor fits with owners/trainers/second careers. If money is the only issue, I think it'd be cheaper in the long-run for owners to have the medical records. But I doubt that would be the only issue. Yes, in many state statutes, horses are categorized as livestock.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Dusty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Should a medical chart belong to the horse and follow him through the claim to a new barn?

YES. It's ridiculous that a new owner doesn't get all the information about a horse's medical history. :roll:
Drug records, X-rays, bone scans, surgical history...everything should go along with a horse, from foaling to death.

Yes pretty much like a EMR for humans - the technology exists
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Kurenai » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 am

I would love to see something like the Japanese "System" happening in the US, the JRA offers a great product. Plus a % of the purse that goes into the aftercare of horses. Very well aware this will never happen. :(
Kurenai

Previous

Return to Racing