Honour the Deputy

WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Don't know how many people remember Honour the Deputy, but aside from being a spectacular looking animal (see The Tins Mans picture of him at
PedigreeQuery), he is a graded stakes placed runner who frequented Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Del Mar and Laurel Park. Safe to say that
he has officially hit bottom - entered today (8/24/14) in a $1,200 allowance race at Sandy Downs. Long way from placing in the Tokyo City Cup
at SA to a miniscule purse in Idaho. I wish him the best...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am

He did win- and his prize was $720 http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 14USA5.pdf
He also has the track record for the mile over the surface- I know nothing about this track- hope he has people around him that will care for him. At this level- they are a hoof away from the feed lot and worse. Too bad Hobeau farm wasn't still in operation- they breed him.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2776
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 am

Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Flanders wrote:Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.
From what I've read, it would appear that there are few forms of equine entertainment that do not occur at Sandy Downs throughout the year. TB's (Idaracing.com), Quarter Horses, Mule Races, Rodeos and even Chariot Racing in the winter! All this in addition to concerts, festivals of every type, culinary meets, archery contests, and just plain old passive horse back riding. All inclusive venue. The thoroughbred meet seems to fall in the "this weeks entertainment" category - so yes, a fair circuit track (albeit a rather comprehensive year long fair). All this leads me to wonder just where poor old Honour the Deputy will be shipped off to next. He's inches away from a bush track...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Flanders wrote:Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.
From what I've read, it would appear that there are few forms of equine entertainment that do not occur at Sandy Downs throughout the year. TB's (Idaracing.com), Quarter Horses, Mule Races, Rodeos and even Chariot Racing in the winter! All this in addition to concerts, festivals of every type, culinary meets, archery contests, and just plain old passive horse back riding. All inclusive venue. The thoroughbred meet seems to fall in the "this weeks entertainment" category - so yes, a fair circuit track (albeit a rather comprehensive year long fair). All this leads me to wonder just where poor old Honour the Deputy will be shipped off to next. He's inches away from a bush track...

WarBiscuit
Or being sold for Match racing or tripping south of the border.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Catalina
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 am

Or ditto north of the border, alas.
lovethegreys
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm

I have followed this horse and wondered what became of him. This is not the news I had hoped for. I pray that he can be retired and have a second career. If he was mine, he would just be a horse, enjoying a safe life. Oh I wish it could be......
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Honour the Deputy raced in the T.J. Fackrell - Spa Boy Memorial Stakes ($4250 purse) at Black Foot Race Track (Idaho) this past Saturday (9/6/14),
and finished 3rd taking home $446. Looks like he has settled into county fair circuit and seems to be doing well.


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Catalina
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Won't the county fair meets come to a close for the year pretty soon?
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Catalina wrote:Won't the county fair meets come to a close for the year pretty soon?
They'll go into October then the part of the country he's based in will start to get pretty wet. The people who race on that circuit usually give their horses the winter off and then bring them back in late spring. Some of those guys keep going for years. I'm following a couple of old guys who race in Western Canada, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. If they really get to going good they may get put in at Ferndale (the closest thing California has to offer to the bushier fairs).
Catalina
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Curtis wrote:
Catalina wrote:Won't the county fair meets come to a close for the year pretty soon?
They'll go into October then the part of the country he's based in will start to get pretty wet. The people who race on that circuit usually give their horses the winter off and then bring them back in late spring. Some of those guys keep going for years. I'm following a couple of old guys who race in Western Canada, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. If they really get to going good they may get put in at Ferndale (the closest thing California has to offer to the bushier fairs).
That's encouraging, thanks!
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Well, for those interested, the old boy has shown up again at Les Bois Park in Idaho this spring in low level claimers. Seems to be racing well and is still with the same connections than ran him in 2014. He certainly has been around in his career, and I just hope he stays healthy and sound. If the racing ability is dwindling, he surely
makes up for it in appearance. I'd like to buy him just to stare at him...


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Honour the Deputy finished 1st at Les Bois Park yesterday (7/17/15), stuffing 3K into his pocket for his effort. He was also claimed for $2,500 by trainer,
Ron Stevens.


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Well, Honour the Deputy moved to Turf Paradise for the 2015 Fall meet, and won himself a claiming race on October 17th. He is scheduled to run again on
10/31/15 in Race 3. This guy has raced from coast to coast and border to border in his career, from the biggest venues to some of the smallest and rubbing
elbows with many famous horses along the way. Stay safe, old boy...


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Yesterday (2/21/16) at Turf Paradise - "Honour the Deputy saved ground, moved out into the lane and lacked the needed bid then was vanned off" ...

Hope this was precautionary and that he is OK. Finished the race (6th), with 12yo Strategist right behind him. Any news appreciated.


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
The Doctors Saint
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Googled his name and track down a thread on AlexBrown about him and he's bowed a tendon but is safe and sounds like someone's trying to find him a safe place to go when the 'dreaded virus' will allow horses to come and go from where he is. Poor dear guy; so relieved he's relatively alright for the time being.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:49 pm

The Doctors Saint wrote:Googled his name and track down a thread on AlexBrown about him and he's bowed a tendon but is safe and sounds like someone's trying to find him a safe place to go when the 'dreaded virus' will allow horses to come and go from where he is. Poor dear guy; so relieved he's relatively alright for the time being.
Thanks much for the update! Hope all turns out well for him, and we'll keep an eye on that boy. No pun intended, but he's been around the track a few times, and
deserves a good retirement - with whatever new job he can manage. Thanks again.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
lovethegreys
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 pm

According to a Facebook post, Honour the Deputy has been rescued and is safe in Arizona. Also, more info is posted on the Alex Brown racing board about him. I am so happy for this wonderful warrior who raced his heart out right up to his retirement/rescue. The following link is the group I believe is partly responsible for his new life - http://www.equineencorefoundation.org. As is said in the FB post, it takes a village or a group of dedicated people to help save these wonderful horses.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:35 pm

lovethegreys wrote:According to a Facebook post, Honour the Deputy has been rescued and is safe in Arizona. Also, more info is posted on the Alex Brown racing board about him. I am so happy for this wonderful warrior who raced his heart out right up to his retirement/rescue. The following link is the group I believe is partly responsible for his new life - http://www.equineencorefoundation.org. As is said in the FB post, it takes a village or a group of dedicated people to help save these wonderful horses.
Thanks for this wonderful news! He has certainly had a colorful career, and I hope his retirement is long and happy. Not sure I've ever seen a better looking horse. :)

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
lovethegreys
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 pm

He is definitely a cool looking horse.
Post Reply