"Bubble" and "Watch" horse thread

"Bubble" and "Watch" horse thread

Postby serenassong » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm

In light of all the discussion of Strapping Groom, and others -thought I would go ahead a start a place for horses that may be on the "Bubble"- horses that are dropping from a former higher level- but not down to the basement and still somewhat competitive. Then, you also have "Watch" horses- horses that no longer running at a previous higher level (or even always at claiming ranks) who may have one hoof on a van to a feed lot. Don't need to put either label on them- just so people know about them and a few brief comments help as well.

Have been meaning to start this for sometime- just a central place for horses that need some more eyes on them to hopefully avoid bad things. We can also add trainers that also seem to have a lot of these horses and run them beyond their abilities as well.

Feel free to submit these horses as need be- in a perfect world, there would be no need- but it is what it is.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Re: "Bubble" and "Watch" horse thread

Postby Le Beau Bai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:51 pm

May or may not be relevant but Unstoppable U is slipping down the AOC and claim ranks over his last few races ($40k to $25k). Some of you may remember he finished 6th in the Belmont in 2012.

Now racing mostly at Churchill and Indiana Grand
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby BlindLucky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:May or may not be relevant but Unstoppable U is slipping down the AOC and claim ranks over his last few races ($40k to $25k). Some of you may remember he finished 6th in the Belmont in 2012.

He had been with Susan Anderson for awhile, and was just claimed from her. I like her, and she trained a filly for us so she's pretty transparent and communicative as far as how she works. I don't know anything about his new trainer, Gerald Bennett, but he was in good hands at least up to that point.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Le Beau Bai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Le Beau Bai wrote:May or may not be relevant but Unstoppable U is slipping down the AOC and claim ranks over his last few races ($40k to $25k). Some of you may remember he finished 6th in the Belmont in 2012.

He had been with Susan Anderson for awhile, and was just claimed from her. I like her, and she trained a filly for us so she's pretty transparent and communicative as far as how she works. I don't know anything about his new trainer, Gerald Bennett, but he was in good hands at least up to that point.

Thanks, that good to know :) He's in VS, so I've been keeping an eye on what he's been doing in regards to works / races.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:51 am

While I like the thought behind this thread, I'm not surprised there are not many posts. This is that ugly underbelly of the sport that we wish would just go away. When tracks aren't even enforcing their own rules against trainers shipping horses to kill-buyers, as a concerned individual, I don't even know where to start. This was posted on Donna Keen's Facebook page.
I pulled the another Bustamante horse out of the Cleburne Sale last night, Got Bliss. He last raced 11/15/14 and was owned and trained by Justo Bustamante. (The first was pulled at Sequin, Winning Advanced, raced 10/25 by trainer J. Ray Bustamante). Go figure. Poor guy went from one hell hole auction where he and his stablemates were being treated like cattle, to being packed in a over crowed trailer full of loose horses, to another hell hole auction, packed in a pen with several other loose horses. Never being lead or touched like a race horse is accustomed to. All the time being chased around by humans who he has been trained to trust with prod, it was a whole new cruel world for him.. Got Bliss has terrible bite marks and a few other small wounds on him. When I approached him at the sale he pinned his ears at me. Can you blame him? I ignored his aggressiveness and started to show him kindness. He changed his eye and let me lift his lip. I saw the tattoo and called Vicki and said we have to get him. She started fundraising on the Remember Me Rescue page. I outbid the killer buyer by $10 and paid about .40 a pound for him. Remember Me Rescue ended up pulling 2 thoroughbreds last night, I will positively ID the other gelding today. It was too dark last night. Here is the deal, Until we hold racetracks with No Tolerance for Slaughter Policies to them we will continue to pull horses from sales. Thank you Misti Broughton and Stacey Webb for providing QT facilities for the Cleburne sale horses. The Sequin horse has already been placed in a new home. Thanks everyone who has supported the efforts of Remember Me Rescue sale barn saves.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203494354655743&set=a.1222327234550.2032065.1120022307&type=1&fref=nf

He even listed himself as the seller, so cocksure of himself. Sounds like any horse trained/owned by Justo Bustamante is a "bubble" horse.
Sparrow Castle

Postby serenassong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 am

SocialSaul, former graded stakes placed (Discovery Handicap G3 2011) is now running in $10K claiming. Won his last race nicely, but worth a mention.
In the same race, multiple stakes placed Star of New York ran 4th- Mr. Servis did claim this one out of the race.

2 more that I personally watch that I feel need a mention-
Mr. Saturdaynight started his early career in Socal- actually beat Setsuko to break his maiden- has been dropping and dropping- now running over at Zia for $5k- and has been regressing in his racing.
King Racer was third in the Laurel Futurity (2013)- has been steadily regressing- should have made more of an impact against $6K claimers at Penn- has been showing really nothing last few out.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Postby TapitsGal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Any horse David Jacobsen trains oughta be in here
TapitsGal

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Any horse David Jacobsen trains oughta be in here

Can't say I was real happy when I learned that he got ahold of Stormin Monarcho this past spring. I'm paying close attention to this
one. Saginaw is still stuck in the back of my head...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby serenassong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Was glad when Grand Rapport and Bad Debt were out of his stable
serenassong

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:03 pm

And I was glad when 9 yo Be Bullish was claimed from Jacobson by Bruce Levine for Repole. He's entered to race again on 12/10/14 for his 84th start.
Sparrow Castle

Next

Return to Racing