Waiting for news on ...

barbaro111

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That is an amazing colt. Clearly, whoever raised & trained him did a great job of teaching him to trust humans, but I don't know if even the seemingly-saintly Zenyatta would have stayed put like that. :o
I really hope he completely recovers...and that tons of breeders bring him mares, hoping to get some of that intelligence and good temperament.

As sweet and laid back as American Pharoah is, i dont know if would cooperate to that degree---
The Player is a remarkable horse!!!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Westwood (Bernardini x Ashado) started bearing out badly on the backstretch of the True North at Belmont and it looks like he was pulled up. Did not cross the wire. I hope the beautifully-bred colt will be OK. :(
Katewerk

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Westwood (Bernardini x Ashado) started bearing out badly on the backstretch of the True North at Belmont and it looks like he was pulled up. Did not cross the wire. I hope the beautifully-bred colt will be OK. :(
Vanned off.

@DRFGrening
10m10 minutes ago

Westwood, who was bearing out down the backside, was pulled up by John Velazquez. Vets are looking at his left foreleg.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Glad to hear this:

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
39m39 minutes ago
Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin says Westwood has a pretty bad hoof injury, which was why he was pulled up in the True North. John Velazquez indicated he may have grabbed a quarter.

McLaughlin: “He broke his hoof. He’s going to be OK ... but it’s going to take some time.”
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Ow. But it's much better news than something like fractured sesamoids or shoulder.
sweettalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Just Whistle eased in the final at Belmont, June 9.

any info, please
Flanders

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 pm

sweettalk wrote:Just Whistle eased in the final at Belmont, June 9.

any info, please
Haven't found anything. It may be a few days but NYRA keeps a list at: https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/
sweettalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Flanders wrote:
sweettalk wrote:Just Whistle eased in the final at Belmont, June 9.

any info, please
Haven't found anything. It may be a few days but NYRA keeps a list at: https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/
didn't know that, that's pretty useful. bookmarked it, thank you.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:41 pm

From Facebook:

The Player is with William Buff Bradley at LSU School of Veterinary Medicine.
17 mins · Baton Rouge, LA ·
We all have missed him so much and I have to say he looks happy. He still has some time to go before he will get to come home. Carl And I will meet with the vet tomorrow and hope to let everybody know soon.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 pm

From Facebook...

The Player is at LSU School of Veterinary Medicine.
3 hrs · Baton Rouge, LA ·
Carl and I got to spend the last 3 days with our boy Angus and it was a good visit. Every vet and intern that we talked with just loves Angus and said that he is just a special kind of horse and knows how to take care of himself. Still there are two concerns which are stability and infection. So it is still a time thing as he has not healed enough to take out the plate and screws which could be the source of infection if there is one. If he gets more stable in the the next few weeks then we can leave the implant in. Overall the vets seem positive and feel that in a few weeks we will know more of a timeframe as to when we can get him out of there and back home. Carl and I were glad to see him and feel that he is progressing well while receiving great care by all of the LSU staff.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Equine Breakdown, Death, Injury and Incident Database

Horse: Just Whistle
Incident: RACING INJURY
Racing Type: Thoroughbred
Location/Type: Belmont Park (NYRA), 1/4 pole; Racing
Date: 06/09/2018
Trainer: MICHAEL R. MATZ
Jockey/Driver: JOSE L. ORTIZ
Weather: 75* Clear
Just Whistle-Tr-M. Matz-pulled up at the 1/4 pole- vanned off in the 13th race.
https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/searchb ... p?ID=14528
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 pm

From Facebook...

The Player is at LSU Farm and Large Animal Veterinary Services.
3 hrs · Baton Rouge, LA ·
So it has been just over 90 days since the big injury and surgery. Angus is holding his own and happy for all the care he is getting at LSU. He loves to go for his walks outside and is reluctant to go back to his stall. Still he is fighting infection around the plate and screws. Dr. McCauley is hopeful that we can leave the plate and screws until it is fully stabilized and he is expecting that to be another 30 days at which time he would remove the hardware since this could be a source of the infection. We sure would like to get him home this Summer. Thanks everyone for their prayers and good vibes. Hang in there buddy!
The Doctors Saint

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am

Three months with a persistent infection from the hardware and another month before it can be safely removed is not the best news. I really feel for all who are close to this very special horse. Is that a pressure sore on his hip?
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am

Agree. I also can't help but wonder WHY the infection is so persistent around the metal pieces. Aren't those items supposed to be sterile, surgical steel?
I'd hate to think that some antibiotic-resistant strain has taken hold in Angus's wound. :(
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 am

Chronic infection can be a complication in humans too after knee replacement surgery. They try very hard to cure the infection around and under the metal implants, similar to what they're doing for Angus. The body can handle low-level infection for some time. It's a last resort when they need to take out the metal implants and leave them out until the infection is gone, that's very crippling for humans.

I don't think it's a matter of not being sterile or there'd be an awful lot of lawsuits. And his metal parts don't have to be long-term. The leg just has to be healed enough to support him without the plate and screws.

I noticed what looked like hair loss near his left hip soon after surgery. Not sure what were seeing here. This boy has been through a lot. I'm just happy to see him still looking happy and bright, and I'm sure his wonderful people will do what's best for him. I just hope and pray it doesn't come to making that agonizing decision. Stay strong, Angus!
Psychotic Parakeet

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:55 am

Quant Savant. She was in the 3rd race at Pleasanton yesterday.

He fell down after the start, lost the jockey, got up, then ran for a little bit along the rail, leaped over it - but got caught up in it, and flipped over into the infield. Any word if she survived?
I wanna do bad things with you.
Katewerk

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I checked Twitter for you.

Chris Griffin @Inthegrandstand
19h19 hours ago

Update on incident Race 3: jockey Juan Hernandez was back up and is cleared ok. #2 Quant Savant stumbled at the break and did get loose on the infield. Has been loaded onto the horse ambulance was walking off under own power
Psychotic Parakeet

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Katewerk wrote:I checked Twitter for you.

Chris Griffin @Inthegrandstand
19h19 hours ago

Update on incident Race 3: jockey Juan Hernandez was back up and is cleared ok. #2 Quant Savant stumbled at the break and did get loose on the infield. Has been loaded onto the horse ambulance was walking off under own power
Thank you for that!

I was actually shocked to get a response from O'Neill's FB page about her. She apparently suffered some deep cuts and lacerations, needed stitches, but is thankfully alive and will recoup out there. I never seen anything like that happen in a race. Was shocked she didn't break her legs when hurdling into the railing. Very surprising outcome, and glad that at least Hernandez was able to escape serious injury as well.
I wanna do bad things with you.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Thank god, I was dreading what the outcome might be. Thank heavens the jockey escaped injury and the filly will recover!
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

From Facebook...

The Player
5 hrs ·
Got this picture today from Dr. Colin Mitchell(LSU vet). He and Dr. McCauley are very pleased this week with the progress that Angus is showing. The swelling has really gone down quite a bit. He is walking better and standing more squarely on it. Still more time involved before we can move on but it looks better every day. Come on Player you are doing it! Thanks for all the prayers and good vibes.