Hong Kong Racing

Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:27 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm
I'm glad Mirage Dancer's afib is resolving. Wonder what this means for his racing future though.
I was wondering the same... Given it's cardiac in nature and he was "quite distressed"... I'm not a vet or a steward but I would imagine he's done. It sounds like the afib was a lot more than just palpitations, you know? And I'm not sure how they would manage it, if there are equivalent medications to normalize the heartbeat like in people. I don't think there's ever been a horse fitted for a pacemaker...?? And even then, the meds might be considered illegal substance, etc.

IMO it shouldn't even be a question, he should be retired. God forbid he had a full cardiac arrest in the middle of training or a race and went down, that's unacceptable risk for everyone involved. :(

I hope it does resolve itself and it's something they will be able to manage for him in retirement.
I don't know anything about afib in horses but I wondered about a pacemaker too, lol. He's a beautiful Juddmonte colt, by Frankel x Heat Haze by Green Desert. It will be interesting to see what they do with him.
katmandu

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Beauty Generation? More like Beastly Generation. . . hope he travels well and they take his show on the road.
RugbyGirl

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:46 pm

katmandu wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 pm
Beauty Generation? More like Beastly Generation. . . hope he travels well and they take his show on the road.
Trainer immediately mentioned Dubai afterwards but needs to confirm with owners
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Northport

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 pm
lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:27 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm
I'm glad Mirage Dancer's afib is resolving. Wonder what this means for his racing future though.
I was wondering the same... Given it's cardiac in nature and he was "quite distressed"... I'm not a vet or a steward but I would imagine he's done. It sounds like the afib was a lot more than just palpitations, you know? And I'm not sure how they would manage it, if there are equivalent medications to normalize the heartbeat like in people. I don't think there's ever been a horse fitted for a pacemaker...?? And even then, the meds might be considered illegal substance, etc.

IMO it shouldn't even be a question, he should be retired. God forbid he had a full cardiac arrest in the middle of training or a race and went down, that's unacceptable risk for everyone involved. :(

I hope it does resolve itself and it's something they will be able to manage for him in retirement.
I don't know anything about afib in horses but I wondered about a pacemaker too, lol. He's a beautiful Juddmonte colt, by Frankel x Heat Haze by Green Desert. It will be interesting to see what they do with him.
I wonder if that is similar to what Sprinter Sacre had. He had an irregular heartbeat and was off for months, and he wore a heart monitor in his workouts when he did return to action. He did end up racing again, but not quite at the same, otherworldly, level.
weeeeeeeee
stark

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Any horse required to wear a heart monitor during workouts should run as fast as he can to his forever home and call it quits.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ThreeMustangs

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm
Any horse required to wear a heart monitor during workouts should run as fast as he can to his forever home and call it quits.
This x1000.
Northport

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 pm

I mean, he still won the Queen Mother Champion Chase at Cheltenham and then ultimately retired due to a tendon injury... but I'd leave the decision to whoever knows the horse best.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2016 ... heltenham/
weeeeeeeee