The VENT Thread

stark

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 pm

From another generation.....I miss the days when stand-up comedy was done by a professional like Bob Hope and the Dean Martin Roasts were actually funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PV1xl6mq98
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 pm

After 108 years, the Boy Scouts program is set to drop the gender from its name and re-emerge as "Scouts BSA," a more "inclusive" group that will also soon welcome girls in its ranks.

Boy Scouts of America, the parent organization of the Boy Scouts program, made the announcement Wednesday. Though the decision to toss "Boy" aside was considered controversial by some, Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh said the new name came about after an "incredibly fun" deliberation.

The Girl Scouts said their organization was blindsided by the move and are planning an aggressive campaign to ramp up recruitment numbers
starrydreamer

Wed May 09, 2018 11:11 am

Worked out yesterday. Feel like I have the flu today. :?
Tessablue

Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 pm

When I was little I broke my ankle jumping over a septic tank. A few years back I blew out my knee while cleaning salamander poop. This morning I broke and dislocated my toe by stepping on a laundry basket.

When it comes to embarrassing-yet-serious injuries, I am a freaking Triple Crown winner.
starrydreamer

Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am

Tessablue wrote:When I was little I broke my ankle jumping over a septic tank. A few years back I blew out my knee while cleaning salamander poop. This morning I broke and dislocated my toe by stepping on a laundry basket.

When it comes to embarrassing-yet-serious injuries, I am a freaking Triple Crown winner.
I shouldn't laugh because I just had a fever for two straight days after one workout, but man, you have bad luck.
stark

Sun May 13, 2018 8:33 pm

So I go into a popular SoCal restaurant, StoneFire, that does quite the take-out business for the their BBQ stuff. Upon checking out, the bill was $84 and I pulled out my trusty AmEx card and lo and behold when given the receipt to sign there was no place to add in a tip. I know that there's plenty of work that goes into getting a to-go order prepared and I certainly don't object to tipping, but I had to explain that since the advent of on-line wagering I simply have little reason to carry any cash. I did notice some large fishbowls on the counter filled with various denominations of currency but quite frankly I was pretty darn embarrassed. My waitress said it was a management decision to program the computers in such a way that no tips be made on credit cards. For the life of me I can't figure out the reason why?

But their food is easy to recommend and don't forget the carrot cake!
https://stonefiregrill.com/menu/
starrydreamer

Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Ugh, I just got over a nasty sore throat and now I seem to have a stomach bug.
stark

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am

What's next???

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Miss America Organization is dropping the swimsuit competition from its nationally televised broadcast, saying it will no longer judge contestants on their appearance.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't know. Maybe women being hired based on their abilities and not on their looks, and paid the same as men in the same job? :P
Tessablue

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm

stark wrote:What's next???

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Miss America Organization is dropping the swimsuit competition from its nationally televised broadcast, saying it will no longer judge contestants on their appearance.
offering you thoughts and prayers in this difficult time
stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

ThreeMustangs

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am

I hate commercial air travel. Seriously considering driving home from Georgia to Tampa instead of flying. At least I’d get to see all the babies in the fields around Ocala...
stark

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:I hate commercial air travel. Seriously considering driving home from Georgia to Tampa instead of flying. At least I’d get to see all the babies in the fields around Ocala...
That's a no-brainer, what's it take maybe 6 hours or so, enjoy it!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

I LOVE The Expanse on SyFy, and it has its two-hour season finale tonight. It's a tremendous series, with an interesting, intricate story, superior acting and great effects.
However, I am really, really upset to read that next season, The Expanse will only be shown on Amazon's streaming service. Frack. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
stark

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 am

Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

Starting July 1, restaurants in the Emerald City are now barred from providing customers plastic straws, cocktail picks or utensils unless someone specifically requests one. Then, a customer should be given a compostable option, according to Seattle Public Utilities.
starrydreamer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 pm

stark wrote:Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

Starting July 1, restaurants in the Emerald City are now barred from providing customers plastic straws, cocktail picks or utensils unless someone specifically requests one. Then, a customer should be given a compostable option, according to Seattle Public Utilities.
What's the vent here? That a city is trying to help the environment?

My vent is that ONE city doing this is going to do basically nothing. It needs to be the whole country. But hey, maybe they'll start a trend.
Catalina

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
stark wrote:Seattle has officially become the first major U.S. city to ban restaurants from giving plastic straws and utensils to customers in an effort to help the environment.

What's the vent here? That a city is trying to help the environment?

My vent is that ONE city doing this is going to do basically nothing. It needs to be the whole country. But hey, maybe they'll start a trend.
There's a few cities in Texas that managed to implement a law curbing the obiquituous free plastic bags your purchases get bagged in, often 1 or 2 items per bag. And, one of these cities even noted a marked decrease of those used miserable bags floating in the Gulf - only for the state to pass a new container law that in essence forbids having to pay for plastic bags at the checkout. Back to square 1....
stark

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Straws aren't the problem.
People are.
Creating laws, putting factories out of work for in-demand products, is not a solution.
It's busy work for politicians.

The UK has a 25 year plan for plastic polution, please wake me with an update in 2042, thanks.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... aste-plan/
starrydreamer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:37 pm

stark wrote:Straws aren't the problem.
People are.
Creating laws, putting factories out of work for in-demand products, is not a solution.
It's busy work for politicians.

The UK has a 25 year plan for plastic polution, please wake me with an update in 2042, thanks.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... aste-plan/
Yeah, people are the problem, but we can't get rid of people (if that we could...).

We CAN, however, get rid of plastic straws. And while that would put factory workers out of work for plastic straws, perhaps those same factories can start making paper straws, which do the same thing as plastic straws but have the added bonus of being biodegradable. There are plenty of plastic items for which there is no good alternative - but straws are definitely not one of them.
stark

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 am

Just count the straws....amazing!