In memoriam 2018

lurkey mclurker

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Absolutely heartbreaking. :((((((((
Catalina

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 am

Fly with the angels, little Emmy. My deepest sympathy to her family.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Olin Gentry at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale
Anne M. Eberhardt

Prominent Horseman Olin Gentry Dies at Age 51
The acorn didn't fall far from the tree when it came to Olin B. Gentry and horsemanship.

The son and grandson of two iconic figures in the Thoroughbred industry, Gentry died June 16 at age 51, one day after he collapsed while attending the Ocala Breeders' Sales June 2-year-olds in training sale in Ocala, Fla.

Gentry is survived by his son, Olin Gentry II, and his life partner, Athena Gentry.

Gentry was the son of the Tom Gentry, an innovative horseman who died in October at age 80 and whose sales techniques ushered in a new era into the yearling sales arena with showmanship and entertainment. He was the grandson of Olin Gentry, who managed Darby Dan Farm, King Ranch, and Gainesway Farm.

"He brought horsemanship expertise par excellence to the partnership," said Tom VanMeter, who had been partners with Gentry in various equine ventures, mostly recently VanMeter/Gentry Sales. "We've been partners on and off in horse deals and other entrepreneur projects for at least 25 years. He was always there. He knew how to look a horse, he knew pedigrees, and he knew how to relate with clients. He was an amazing partner and an amazing horseman.

"He was bred into it," VanMeter said, noting that Gentry began working with his father at an early age. "We have a photo of him showing Terlingua to buyers at the yearling sale when he was 8. The important thing about that photo is that at age 8 his eyes are only on Terlingua's eyes. The sign of a true horseman."

Terlingua, sold to trainer D. Wayne Lukas at the Keeneland July sale and purchased her for $275,000 for the partnership of Barry Beal and L.R. French Jr., was a three-time grade 2 winner who made a lasting contribution to the industry as the dam of leading sire Storm Cat.

Gentry was instrumental in the success of the John R. Gaines Bloodstock in partnership with the former Gainesway Farm owner and then with Thomas R. Gaines operated Gaines-Gentry Thoroughbreds.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -at-age-51

The photo with Terlingua: Image
interco

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:30 pm

George Weaver's Freeze The Account broke down midstretch dueling for lead in Belmont 4th 6/17/18. RIP.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 pm

I think I saw that race, and the horse who went wrong tried to keep going, all while struggling to maintain its feet. As it fell, it took down the horse to its inside, throwing that horse into the inside rail.
RIP Freeze the Account, but, with as violent as that two-horse spill was, we are lucky that we didn't lose two horses and/or the two riders who went down hard.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

From Facebook...

Old Friends at Cabin Creek
2 hrs ·
So sorry to have to tell you all that Driven by Success aka Mikey was put to sleep this morning due to complications of stringhalt. It’s a terrible affliction for a horse, so we are thankful he is free of it now and joining our heavenly herd. Till we meet again Mikey...
Run free my friend
Flanders

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Radiant Flower died June 19 at age 31. She had produced G3SW Radiant Megan. Not noted in the brief article, her dam was a full sister to Vaguely Noble.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Graded Stakes Winner Untrapped Euthanized
Graded stakes winner Untrapped, a starter in the 2017 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1), was euthanized June 25 due to the onset of laminitis, owner Michael Langford confirmed the following day.

The winner of last year's Oklahoma Derby (G3), Untrapped most recently finished in a dead-heat for second with One Liner behind Irish War Cry in the May 18 Pimlico Special Stakes (G3). Langford said the 4-year-old son of Trappe Shot was sent to Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital after suffering a bout of colic about 10 days ago, and developed laminitis as a further complication.

"He was at Rood & Riddle for about five days, then he was released from the clinic and went to Becky Maker's farm (equine rehab facility in Versailles, Ky.) and they called me yesterday and said the vet would be calling me that Untrapped was trying to founder," Langford said June 26. "By the time the vet called me, he had gotten in pretty bad shape. They just said with what all had happened to him with the colic and stuff, he would not have a very good success rate of recovering. It would be a painful process. So I told the vet, let's do the right thing.

"It was just kind of a bad deal. I didn't want him to suffer, no one did. I think we absolutely did the right thing, but I hate it for him."

Trained by Hall of Famer Steve Asmussen, Untrapped was one of the more quietly consistent performers in last year's sophomore class. The dark bay colt broke his maiden second time out at Churchill Downs in November 2016, then posted runner-up efforts in both the Lecomte Stakes (G3) and Risen Star Stakes (G2) in his first pair of outings during his 3-year-old season. After running third in the Rebel Stakes (G2) and sixth in the Arkansas Derby (G1), he became the first Kentucky Derby starter for Langford, and finished 12th in the classic.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... euthanized
Izvestia

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm

RIP handsome boy
I’m super bummed out about Untrapped’s passing, he was fun to cheer for.
TapitsGal

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 pm

I read on the bloodhorse comments section that Repent died at Paradise Farms in Trinidad due to a heart condition
ThreeMustangs

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Payntermaniac fractured a knee in the Debutante at CD yesterday and was euthanized. Just a baby—may she rest in peace.
Ballerina

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 am

Sad news to report from Gail Thayer. Gail says that her 15-year-old flat-runner-turned steeplechaser Steppenwolfer has succumbed to colic. Though he ran only three times over hurdles, the gray son of Aptitude finished third in Barbaro's 2006 Kentucky Derby and fourth in the Belmont Stakes, to Jazil. He also placed in the Arkansas Derby.
Dusty

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Ballerina wrote:Sad news to report from Gail Thayer. Gail says that her 15-year-old flat-runner-turned steeplechaser Steppenwolfer has succumbed to colic. Though he ran only three times over hurdles, the gray son of Aptitude finished third in Barbaro's 2006 Kentucky Derby and fourth in the Belmont Stakes, to Jazil. He also placed in the Arkansas Derby.
So very sad to read this...I remember him well...RIP
May they run with the WIND
ThreeMustangs

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:47 am

The Blame filly Senga, last year’s winner of the Prix de Diane. She was in foal to Galileo.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... our/337769
Last edited by ThreeMustangs on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:42 pm

I was very happy for Soi Phet's win in the Bertrando, but neither Paulick nor Bloodhorse mentioned in their articles that eight-year-old Magic Mark was eased in the race and vanned back to his barn. He collapsed there and died. :(
There will be a necropsy, and I hope that someone sees fit to publish the results. His trainer, Ron Ellis, had said on TVG that the Benchmark gelding was doing very well preparing for the Bertrando.
Condolences to Ron and all of MM's connections.
Flanders

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Champion trainer John Dunlop has passed away at the age of 78.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/classic ... -78/338096
Catalina

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:15 am

The Green Monkey, "late this spring", due to complications from laminitis.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... at-age-14/
katmandu

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm

The crazy fast Takaful was euthanized - from DRF:

"Meanwhile, McLaughlin said that Takaful, the winner of last year’s Grade 1 Vosburgh, was euthanized earlier this year due to an injury suffered following routine surgery. McLaughlin said Takaful underwent surgery on a hock, and when he tried to get up in recovery, he took a bad step and suffered a fracture that proved fatal."
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 pm

katmandu wrote:The crazy fast Takaful was euthanized - from DRF:

"Meanwhile, McLaughlin said that Takaful, the winner of last year’s Grade 1 Vosburgh, was euthanized earlier this year due to an injury suffered following routine surgery. McLaughlin said Takaful underwent surgery on a hock, and when he tried to get up in recovery, he took a bad step and suffered a fracture that proved fatal."
Sad to hear this. His debut win really impressed me. "Crazy fast" is right. I put him in my VS, and wondered why he hadn't raced since the Toboggan in January. Thanks for posting.
stark

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Sad news again as we mourn the loss of 2001 @nytbreeders Horse of the Year SAY FLORIDA SANDY. 24yo Sandy was hickory, winning $2 million over 98 starts. Much thanks to Hurstland Farm for their loving care. Old Friends Farm photo.
https://twitter.com/Oldfriendsfarm/stat ... 8093853696
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.