Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby MySaladDays » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:

Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.
MySaladDays

Postby Starine » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:

Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.

I suspect he will receive a ban like Al Zarooni.

In happier news:

Injured Rider St. Julien Continues Recovery, Walking With Assistance
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... ssistance/
Starine

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks, Starine. It's really good to hear the news about Marlon St. Julien, especially this from the linked DRF article:
...St. Julien, who had surgery the day after his accident, was able to walk with assistance to the ambulance, according to Robyn Dean, the wife of St. Julien’s agent, Bobby Dean. Robyn Dean has served as a medical liaison for St. Julien since he was first transported to the hospital.

St. Julien, 46, was slow to regain feeling in his arms, had to overcome pneumonia after his surgery, and was intubated and confined to the intensive-care unit at Mercy. But his breathing tube was removed several days ago, St. Julien is communicating comfortably, and on Tuesday, Dean said, he sat up on his own for more than 90 minutes.

“Marlon doesn’t think he’ll be permanently disabled,” Dean said.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
19m19 minutes ago
Trainer Peter Eurton has been fined $500 by the Santa Anita stewards for "failure to properly report the gelding" of Indian Gulch for a race May 13. Indian Gulch was scratched prior to the race.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"

More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228066/emerald-downs-cards-race-for-nonagenarian-trainers?utm_source=BHTW&utm_medium=social#disqus_thread
Sparrow Castle

Postby WarBiscuit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"

More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228066/emerald-downs-cards-race-for-nonagenarian-trainers?utm_source=BHTW&utm_medium=social#disqus_thread

That's pretty awesome. I'll bet those guys have some stories to tell! Good for Emerald Downs - a nice way to acknowledge these gentlemen for their dedication to the sport.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby SSilence86 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09
SSilence86

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 pm

That looks flat-out disgusting and is painful to watch. I'm curious what that meeting yields.

I sincerely hope that does not go viral. Ugh.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I know that it's impossible to tell anything without context but how is a meeting on Saturday? If I messed up at work in ANY capacity a meeting would be scheduled the same day.

It is tough to defend this game sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09

Oh poor Accolade. Looks like the assistant starter is in the wrong job if he wont control himself with a fractious baby. Yes, it should be dealt with immediately.
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing