Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 am

ATV's don't seem to be the safest form of transportation. :roll:
And I find it appalling when I read of minor children being injured (or worse :() while operating an ATV.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm

I think TBC was down when a bad spill occurred at Del Mar. Apprentice Assael Espinoza cut off Irish Spring, causing him to clip heels and fall, and another horse fell across Irish Spring. Two riders went to the hospital, with Cory Nakatani suffering injuries that require surgery and will keep him out for months.
Irish Spring died.
Assael made the rounds to apologize to the riders and the trainer of Irish Spring. Then he proceeded to appeal the ten-day suspension the stewards gave him for reckless riding. :roll:
I found this article on my Yahoo News page today.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sd-sp-de ... story.html#
The incident was bad enough in itself (a horse killed and a rider out for months with serious injury), but Assael's tone-deaf decision to appeal his suspension has apparently pushed it into national news coverage.
Irish Spring's owner is outraged. IMHO, the young rider is giving the impression that all his apologies were meaningless.
But....trainers are still giving him mounts; five yesterday, IIRC. :oops: :(
luvsgeldings

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm

baroque, thank you for posting that article - I had been wondering about the owners of poor innocent Irish Spring - I have been furious about this incident since it happened - and I share the outrage that the owner of Irish Spring expressed in that article.

I also just read that a judge has granted a stay to the jocks 10 day suspension.

I am heartbroken for that poor horse. heartbroken for the people who loved him.

that horse should have walked back to his barn after that race, to the people who care about him. he didn't get to do that.

it makes me absolutely sick - all of it.
stark

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I remember being on track at SA back in 2003 the day Pincay was interfered with by an apprentice jock coming down the hill. Not only did it end his career as the Dr's feared for his life, but lawsuits took several years to settle with the track and ambulance company for at least several million dollars. To this day, I have trouble watching the horses as they cross the dirt at the top of the stretch from the downhill course.

As for CNak.....Two separate issues here
1) the unfortunate accident by a rookie jockey that cost a horse his life and endangered the life of another jockey, there's plenty there to be mad/sad about.

2) the agent and the courts ruling for a stay, that they will hear the case at a later date, and both you and I know he'd rather miss LosAl than DelMar.

That said, there isn't a court in America, for any kind of infraction up to and including murder where delays aren't asked for a granted on a regular basis. Its pretty much standard operating procedure, business as usual.

Right now, in my opinion, I think the only thing to do is say a prayer for CNak and hope he returns to riding someday or at the very least is able to walk around healthy next year.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 am

I understand that this delay is standard procedure and legally available to Assael. What bothers me is that he appealed the suspension at all.
The tour he made to visit both injured riders and the trainer of Irish Spring, so he could apologize and express remorse, now feels kind of fake.
He's taken steps that will allow him to ride at the prestigious Del Mar, in races with hefty purses. In the meantime, CNak gets to sit at home, trying to recover from serious injuries, unable to ride for those hefty purses. :roll:
Remorse? What remorse?
Espinoza wanted to be called Assael instead of Asa. I think I'm going to change his name again, from Assael to Ass(hole). :evil:
luvsgeldings

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 am

baroque.... I hear you on that!!

and stark.... I know what you mean about the turf/dirt crossover at santa anita - my husband and I were there that day also - since then, I look away most times as horses approach that surface change too.