2018 Two-year-olds

Starine

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:44 pm
The Aurelia Factor got her win after going to the front, but she was almost caught near the wire by the fast-closing Claudelle. If both fillies stretch out in their next, I think I might choose Claudelle over TAF, who might prefer to stay sprinting.
Re: Claudelle -- I feel that way after watching the Adirondack. New York-bred Sue's Fortune won, but narrowly so over Virginia Eloise. The latter is by Curlin and out of an A.P. Indy mare (who is also a half-sister to Liam's Map).
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Claudelle is a Moss-owned filly. It would be nice if they have a good young distaffer in their stable.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Just watched the Violence filly, Feedback, run off and win the 6th at Saratoga, a 6 1/2-furlong MSW on the dirt. Trained by Chad Brown, who apparently can train them for the brown stuff as well as the green. :lol:
IMHO, Violence may be the best young sire for getting precocious runners.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 pm

The G2 Saratoga Special was won by Call Paul, another Violence offspring, in 1:16.55.. The violence filly, Feedback, won her 6 1/2-furlong MSW in 1:16.33.
It has been a bit depressing to see so many stakes races today with such small fields. The $180,000 G2 Saratoga Special ended up with a field of four. The $200,000 G3 Waya Stakes also had only four runners, although that stakes was decimated by being postponed a week, and today they still had to take it off the turf.
The $100,000 G3 Ranch Bernardo for F&M at Del Mar also had just four runners.
:(
ThreeMustangs

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Call Paul is by Friesan Fire.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for the correction. I swear that DRF's Results had Call Paul by Violence when I posted the above.
Maybe I misread; maybe DRF had a typo that they corrected. ;) :P
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Looks like Chad Brown has another nice turf horse in his barn. Fog of War (War Front x Say/Galileo) just won the 4th at Saratoga, a 5 1/2-furlong MSW on the grass. He ran down the leader, All About It, near the wire with a very nice turn of foot on the The Spa's softening turf course.
ElPrado2

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Chad seems to be walking around behind Todd and bopping him with a baseball bat every time Todd runs a youngster in a race.
Mylute

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am

Ward Trio Could Dominate Bolton Landing

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... on-landing

~ Shang Shang Shang returns to the U.S. after her Royal Ascot victory. Hope she wins here and on to the BCJFT.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Starine

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Ward's arsenal there looks robust. But I'm also excited to see the Animal Kingdom filly Elsa.
Horsebagger

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Maybe I missed the discussion around the downtime of the site, but isn't it time we start to talk about Todd and the drop in performance coinciding with out of competition testing and beginning of testing for human growth hormones in NY??

Just because.....I don't know.....watch? They don't run the same anymore. They don't break consistently, and they don't finish. They used to be first out, first home, twice a day at Saratoga. How many 2yo winners so far this meet?

Let's start a poll on how long before Repole sends a high priced 2yo to Chad, because I feel like he's starting to get crushed financially. The spending hasn't seemed to slow, but the winning has. He may not be on the edge just yet, but he's creeping towards it, and the crack is forming under Wile E. Coyote on that ledge. Hopefully, hes been smarter than the Zayat clan and he can withstand the slump, because if/when the Repole empire crumbles, it's going to be a bad day for all of us. Beep Beep.
Mylute

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Starine wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm
Ward's arsenal there looks robust. But I'm also excited to see the Animal Kingdom filly Elsa.
Well, Shang Shang Shang was scratched for some reason, along with Questionoftheday. Ward still ran 1-2 with Stillwater Cove (Quality Road) and Chelsea Cloisters (First Samurai). Elsa finished third.
Mylute

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Maybe I missed the discussion around the downtime of the site, but isn't it time we start to talk about Todd and the drop in performance coinciding with out of competition testing and beginning of testing for human growth hormones in NY??

Just because.....I don't know.....watch? They don't run the same anymore. They don't break consistently, and they don't finish. They used to be first out, first home, twice a day at Saratoga. How many 2yo winners so far this meet?

Let's start a poll on how long before Repole sends a high priced 2yo to Chad, because I feel like he's starting to get crushed financially. The spending hasn't seemed to slow, but the winning has. He may not be on the edge just yet, but he's creeping towards it, and the crack is forming under Wile E. Coyote on that ledge. Hopefully, hes been smarter than the Zayat clan and he can withstand the slump, because if/when the Repole empire crumbles, it's going to be a bad day for all of us. Beep Beep.
As of today, Pletcher is #2 behind Brown on the Saratoga standings, with a current record of 77: 14-15-10 and an 18% win clip (51% top three). Asmussen is third.

I don't know a lot about what you're talking about in regards to the Zayat and Repole empires crumbling and testing but there's that.
Horsebagger

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 pm
Horsebagger wrote:

As of today, Pletcher is #2 behind Brown on the Saratoga standings, with a current record of 77: 14-15-10 and an 18% win clip (51% top three). Asmussen is third.

I don't know a lot about what you're talking about in regards to the Zayat and Repole empires crumbling and testing but there's that.
So you think the Pletcher horses are running like they always have? Okay. Maybe I'm wrong and Todd's always been winning at 18% up here.

But I'm not. Pay better attention to how the horses are running and not the trainer standings. Or ask someone who actually IS paying attention.
peeptoad

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am

Horsebagger wrote:
I can't anything of value to the conversation (should it occur), but I'd be very interesting in reading a discussion about this... since I did notice a "drop off" of sorts from that barn recently. Didn't give it much thought at the time but it seems there is more to it?
Tessablue

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I was there last Friday to Sunday for something like ten 2yo races, and it's just insane how cold Pletcher is right now. On the board and in terms of performance. A horse will be 5/2 ML, go off at 7-1, break poorly from the gate and make no impact. By Sunday I was tossing Pletchers while giving Lukas 2yos a second look, which is insane. I believe the majority of Pletcher's wins at the meet have also come from dropping horses. We've seen major slumps at Saratoga before so there's a good chance it's temporary, but 2yo races in particular have a very different feel from recent years. Very interested to see if this holds up for the rest of the meet.

I hadn't realized there were new tests in place this year- will look into it, but I'd be grateful for any links.

Meanwhile, Browns's 2yo win percentage wasn't great to start the meet but his 2yos are running. Feedback was brilliant, Network Effect looks pretty good and Teachable Moment would have won had he attempted to run straight. I loathe the increasing consolidation of the sport, but if Brown gets as good with 2yos and dirt classic horses as he is on turf... why would the richest owners pick anyone else? Even before considering his performances, his horses just look incredible every time. Saw a horse schooling in the paddock on Friday, beautifully dappled out and on his toes, figured he had to be a stakes horse... but no, he was a claimer running in the first race on Saturday. And he won, naturally.
ElPrado2

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:54 pm

I always thought that he had to be doing something.Too many excellent trainers doing nothing with 2 year olds that were bred to be even with Todd's or better were getting their heads handed to them
ElPrado2

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Just looked at the Spa.
Juddmonte has a first time starter out of Sightseek in the 6th MSW. With Chad.
Named Chamber, by Tapit. Ok, she's 3. I've misplaced the 3 yr old newcomers somewhere.
Mylute

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:29 pm

22-1 Chattel Upsets Skidmore Stakes

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ore-stakes

~ Stakes winner for the late Giant Oak
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Impressive win by Endorsed (MdO x Dance Card/Tapit) in the 4th at Saratoga, a 6-furlong MSW full of nicely-bred youngsters. He ran down the very fast favorite, Ahead of Plan (Big Drama) with a nice turn-of-foot nearing the wire.
The Godolphin colt clearly isn't bred to be a sprinter, but he obviously had the talent to catch one.