Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Postby slewobarney » Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am

Well, it looks like this Preakness will be a mudders day.

Wed Rain 90%
Thu Rain 70%
Fri Rain 100%
Sat Rain/Thunderstorms 80%

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJxnTmpJ4lU

Deputed Testamony's 1983 Preakness. He beat a pretty good field.
Sunny's Halo (Derby winner and fav), Desert Wine, Bet Big, Play Fellow, Marfa
,DWL trainer)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKgzbt9T1c
Last edited by slewobarney on Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
slewobarney

Re: Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Postby stark » Tue May 15, 2018 11:39 am

Great post, enjoyed both links, thanks for sharing.

$30 winner, the local horse who hadn't stepped foot on the track all week until Saturday morning broke a number of handicapping tenets that day!

I bet Marfa the hanger in that race at 9/2 for Lukas, oh well.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby MySaladDays » Tue May 15, 2018 4:29 pm

can't wait to play my mud superfectas --- I had oxbox in 2013 in several contests out on the internet. I rememeber choosing him by watching every prep race replay over again and picking out certain qualities I thought would win it.
It was actually the last "big hit" I made during TC season. Haven't done so well since then, I was more dilligent that year. :)
MySaladDays

Postby MySaladDays » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...
MySaladDays

Postby Tessablue » Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm

The 2016 Preakness was a slopfest and it remains the most painful beat of my handicapping career. If only Nyquist had held on another jump for second... and of course 2015 was a driving rainstorm. Much like American Pharoah, I think mud only help's Justify here- but I hadn't seen that 1983 Preakness, thank you for sharing it!
Tessablue

Postby middleground » Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 pm

MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...

I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.
middleground

Postby Charlie » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Maybe I am misremembering but I feel like we've had more muddy Preakness's than dry ones lately.
Charlie

Postby stark » Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Charlie wrote:Maybe I am misremembering but I feel like we've had more muddy Preakness's than dry ones lately.

Seems like the memorable infield stories agree...

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Apollo » Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 pm

middleground wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...

I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.

I remember it well. I was in junior high and my friends and I were so confident in a Riva Ridge victory that we skipped the race and went to the local park to play basketball. Only one of our friends stayed home to watch the race. We delayed the game briefly until he showed up. He jumped the fence and came running with the news that Riva Ridge ran a dismal fourth, and the winner was something called Bee Bee Bee. We made him repeat it because none of us had ever heard of that horse, let alone know he was in the Preakness.

Only later that night did I see the replay, and listen to all the analysis regarding Riva Ridge's distaste for the slop.

I also remember the quest to find that video of the 1983 Preakness. At one point I had nearly 300 videos on a YouTube channel including maybe 40 horse races. My channel was eventually zapped due to copyright complaints from the IOC. Anyway, the uploader named cf1970 was doing a great job finding old classic racing videos but that 1983 Preakness was difficult to locate. Finally one of his sources had it. Now it's basically the same channel but labeled simply Horse Racing.

The other biggie that nobody had been able to find was Spectacular Bid's stopping and starting madhouse win in the 1979 Florida Derby, with multiple gaffes from Ronnie Franklin. The Gulfstream house videos were apparently lost in a fire. But the same uploader located an ABC full review of that race with McKay and Arcaro about 4 years ago.
Apollo

Postby Starine » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am

I feel more confident backing local Goodonehoney in the Black-Eyed Susans.
Starine

Next

Return to Racing