Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Re: Is Diamond King this year's Deputed Testamony?

Postby Treve » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

American Pharoah's 2015 Preakness was still one of the most amazing races I've seen just... even after this year's Derby I think it was definitely the wettest race I've seen! The descriptions from the people there and in fact even watching the broadcast there were a few moments you couldn't see anything from the camera lenses being flooded. Victor pouring his boots out into a bucket at the press conference was quite something. I seem to recall they kept trying to delay post time hoping the rain would die down somewhat. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say they ran in a monsoon :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am

That Preakness was pretty amazing; when AP came down the stretch, the stormy sky behind him looked like something out of a James Cameron movie. IIRC, they had to delay the post parade because lightning was too close.
The difference between AP's Preakness and this year's Derby is that the storms on that Preakness afternoon were heavy but fast-moving. The water didn't really have enough time to sink in and ruin the surface, so AP had pretty firm footing under the wetness. At last weeks' race, however, the rain had fallen for a long time, saturating the dirt and creating that sloppy mess.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby CoronadosQuest » Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 am

AP's Preakness was definitely a slopfest. It looked like he was running on a lake.
CoronadosQuest

Postby Starine » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

I think this angle really shows how sloppy the track was that day.

Starine

Postby Treve » Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for that photo Starine, yowza!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby MySaladDays » Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Starine wrote:I think this angle really shows how sloppy the track was that day.

That's a great photo, Starine! I had never seen it. Wow.
MySaladDays

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

:o
Clearly I may have underestimated the "wetness." :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Starine » Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 pm

You're welcome. It's kind of staggering to even look at. Yet he just skipped over it.
Starine

Postby Dusty » Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 am

Apollo wrote:
middleground wrote:
MySaladDays wrote:what were some of the "muddy" Preakness's if they are fresh in anyone's mind? So I don't have to look it up. Last 12 years...

I go back a tad further than 12 years, but Bee Bee Bee kicking Riva Ridge's hindquarters in the slop is the most significant memory I have of a muddy
Pimlico. RR would have been a TC winner with a more placid weather forecast.

I remember it well. I was in junior high and my friends and I were so confident in a Riva Ridge victory that we skipped the race and went to the local park to play basketball. Only one of our friends stayed home to watch the race. We delayed the game briefly until he showed up. He jumped the fence and came running with the news that Riva Ridge ran a dismal fourth, and the winner was something called Bee Bee Bee. We made him repeat it because none of us had ever heard of that horse, let alone know he was in the Preakness.

Only later that night did I see the replay, and listen to all the analysis regarding Riva Ridge's distaste for the slop.

I also remember the quest to find that video of the 1983 Preakness. At one point I had nearly 300 videos on a YouTube channel including maybe 40 horse races. My channel was eventually zapped due to copyright complaints from the IOC. Anyway, the uploader named cf1970 was doing a great job finding old classic racing videos but that 1983 Preakness was difficult to locate. Finally one of his sources had it. Now it's basically the same channel but labeled simply Horse Racing.

The other biggie that nobody had been able to find was Spectacular Bid's stopping and starting madhouse win in the 1979 Florida Derby, with multiple gaffes from Ronnie Franklin. The Gulfstream house videos were apparently lost in a fire. But the same uploader located an ABC full review of that race with McKay and Arcaro about 4 years ago.

I LOVE the old videos - and MISS yours - I am still searching for Grey Memo Dubai win
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Previous

Return to Racing