Famous Rabbits

Famous Rabbits

Postby stark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Curtis, are you out there?
I need your help, I got a headache.

For the life of me I can't remember one of my all-time favorite races, Charlie Whittingham had two, maybe three, entries in a stakes race and his rabbit stole it wire to wire.

I want to say something like Fitzwillam Place and he paid $20 but that may be similar to a fisherman's tale, I really have no memory. It was probably a long grass race as I've noticed to this day I have an affinity for speed in grass routes with no real explanation.

All I remember is that I had the happy feet waiting in the cashier's line on the other side of the partition, a great day.

Any suggestions from anybody are greatly appreciated, thanks.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Re: Famous Rabbits

Postby Curtis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:54 pm

stark wrote:Curtis, are you out there?
I need your help, I got a headache.

For the life of me I can't remember one of my all-time favorite races, Charlie Whittingham had two, maybe three, entries in a stakes race and his rabbit stole it wire to wire.

I want to say something like Fitzwillam Place and he paid $20 but that may be similar to a fisherman's tale, I really have no memory. It was probably a long grass race as I've noticed to this day I have an affinity for speed in grass routes with no real explanation.

All I remember is that I had the happy feet waiting in the cashier's line on the other side of the partition, a great day.

Any suggestions from anybody are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Here’s what I remember about Fitzwilliam Place. The first time Charlie ran her in this country, she was entered 6.5f down the hill and she refused to break. Later on, that year, she was set to go in a G1 at Hollywood—Gamely?—and McCarron had her scratched in the post parade causing Whittingham’s clean shaven pate to turn a lovely shade of red-violet. It seems next time out, Charlie put Aaron Gryder (the rider) up on her in the Beverly Hills, having vowed to never put Chris up on one of his horses again, and Fitzwilliam Place wired the field paying double digits. Charlie always had several horses in those races and they were only coupled if he owned a piece of one. In 1990, Ruhlman, with Stevens up, won the Big ‘Cap wire to wire for Charlie and the Mosses at 20-1 while Lively One, a more well regarded closer, took to herd tendencies up the track. I also remember Judge Angelucci wiring the 1988 San Antonio for Charlie and Eddie D. while Shoe on odds on defending HOY, Ferdinand went from last to second with Shoe never cocking the whip. I saw that latter stuff job a mile away, mentioned it to no one, and had steak for dinner that night. Ah, the good old days!
Curtis

Postby stark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the memories, and thanks to Aaron Gryder too!

And as I best recall, there were no superfectas or pick4s that we got duped into playing, had to resort to making large win wagers, lucky me!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Sir Barton was the rabbit for Billy Kelly in the KY Derby, wired the field... rest is history.
Damascus had Hedevar.
Citation had Coaltown as a rabbit on one occasion.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Lord Helpus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Let us not forget Commanche (yes--spelled with 2 'm's) for Tabasco Cat [to soften up Holy Bull]. I know that CT ran in the Haskill (?) and Travers in 1994(?) when he had no business being in route races. Connections --- DWT/Overbrook
Lord Helpus

Postby CoronadosQuest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Lets never forget how Better Talk Now needed to have Shake The Bank in his races to be his rabbit. I always felt so bad for Shake :(
CoronadosQuest

Postby lurkey mclurker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Bullet Train for Frankel, obvs.
lurkey mclurker

Postby middleground » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm

In the 1957 Belmont, John Nerud used Bold Nero to put paid to Bold Ruler for the benefit of Gallant Man.
middleground

Postby slewobarney » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Is pacesetter the same as rabbit? If I remember, Mugatea was often the "pacesetter" for Slew O' Gold (my fav).

Here's 3 yr old Slew O' Gold (and Mugatea) vs the older heavy fav Bates Motel (one of my fav names) in the 1983 Woodward Stakes. Check out the animated AC as he crosses the finish line having just beaten the beast from the west.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9LwyWGx ... fullscreen
Last edited by slewobarney on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
slewobarney

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Big Blue Kitten's old rabbit Shining Copper is still racing and has won done quite well in his in his "solo career".
Miss Woodford

Next

Return to Racing