Catalina

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Hoping for news.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm hoping she's okay too... :(
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 pm

It is concerning that she hasn't been able to just check in, even very quickly, to let us know her status after posting that troubling message about getting ready to flee the California wild fires. Still hoping and praying she's okay but distracted by more pressing issues. Pulling for you, BaroqueAgain!
Catalina

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:29 pm

I figured this would be a little more visible in its own folder, in the "Whatever Happened To?" category.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Yeah, but I'm losing hope that anyone here knows more about the status of the evacuees, specifically BaroqueAgain, than we know by reading fire recovery reports. I think when I signed up for TBC many years ago, I gave my email address but don't remember if I gave my full name. I don't know how we can locate her.

If people are PMing her, I think that would generate an email to the address she gave. She might be more likely to monitor her email in a crisis than to think about coming back here, if she could even log in from where she's at. At least she'd know we're thinking about her.

I just tried PMing her and it's just sitting in my Outbox unsent. In any case, I keep trying to convince myself that there is still so much chaos for some of the fire victims it's not surprising she hasn't checked in yet. Hard to believe it's been a month now since she made that post.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:17 pm

She probably doesn't have time to check the internet, but I can send her an email if you guys want, telling her that you asked if she is okay.
ThreeMustangs

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 am

Kurenai wrote:
She probably doesn't have time to check the internet, but I can send her an email if you guys want, telling her that you asked if she is okay.
That would be great--could you please let her know that we're thinking of her and hope everything is okay?
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 am
Kurenai wrote:
That would be great--could you please let her know that we're thinking of her and hope everything is okay?
Oh yes, please do. And if there's anything we can do for her, I'd love to know what. Already donated to the general fire recovery funds but that seems so impersonal. Thanks, Kurenai.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 am

Ditto what Sparrow Castle said. I've also helped with relief agencies - a good friend and her husband are one of the very very few whose houses are still standing (nothing else in their neighborhood survived, the pictures are unfathomable) and I was so happy and relieved for their good fortune but so saddened for everyone else. So if there is any way we can help Baroque directly, please let us know.
Catalina

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 pm
Yeah, but I'm losing hope that anyone here knows more about the status of the evacuees, specifically BaroqueAgain, than we know by reading fire recovery reports. I think when I signed up for TBC many years ago, I gave my email address but don't remember if I gave my full name. I don't know how we can locate her.

If people are PMing her, I think that would generate an email to the address she gave. She might be more likely to monitor her email in a crisis than to think about coming back here, if she could even log in from where she's at. At least she'd know we're thinking about her.

I just tried PMing her and it's just sitting in my Outbox unsent. In any case, I keep trying to convince myself that there is still so much chaos for some of the fire victims it's not surprising she hasn't checked in yet. Hard to believe it's been a month now since she made that post.
Not quite sure how the PM notifications work, but the PMs themselves just sit in the sender's out-basket until the next time the recipient logs in. I PM'ed her a few days after her last email, and it's still in my out-basket - she hasn't been logged in since her message of getting ready to evacuate.
Catalina

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:45 am

Kurenai wrote:
That would be good. And, if her registration info does include a contact telephone number, that might be another option. She would need to have a working phone to stay in touch with the various agencies.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:46 pm

I only have her email addy from registration, nothing more. I sent her an email asking her if she's ok and did let her know that you guys are thinking about her. Maybe she has access to mails and can reply with a short message. Fingers crossed!
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 pm

I'll move this to Horsin Around, think more people might read it there (even if they don't read the Vent thread).
Tessablue

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 am

Thank you for reaching out to her on everyone's behalf, Kurenai. I'm sure she has far more important things to worry about than a horse racing forum, but I hope she knows that many of us are willing to help with whatever she needs.

I did do some sleuthing and I think it's unlikely that she was a victim of the fire. From her last posts it sounded like she was near the Woolsey fire and was alone at the time. Of the three victims of the Woolsey fire, one was a retired man and the other two remain unidentified but were found in the same car. Unfortunately I could not find anyone through the Facebook group who matches her general profile to confirm it, but I'm hopeful that she made it out. Fingers crossed that everything is okay and she's just been too busy to check in.
Catalina

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1, if you are out there somewhere and read this, please drop us at least a quick message that you were able to escape the fires and make it to a place of safety.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm still focused on the Woolsey fire aftermath because I think that's the area where BaroqueAgain lives. When you look at the progress there, it's not surprising she hasn't checked in, especially if her property is in the most impacted parts of the county and she needs temporary housing.

The authorities haven't yet finished the Phase 1 Household Hazardous Waste Assessment and Removal (completed 431 of 1,186 properties). After that, comes debris removal, then decisions about rebuilding.

Road and public infrastructure repair is still ongoing. Rainstorms are complicating recovery efforts.

I imagine the paperwork and dealing with the various agencies involved are all-consuming. The first of two community recovery forums was held yesterday at Gillette Ranch in Calabasas. The second forum will be at Pepperdine Univ. on Sunday. The video is on the LA County recovery webpages, along with the recovery maps, progress, etc.

https://www.lacounty.gov/lacountyrecovers/
https://www.lacounty.gov/lacountyrecove ... very-maps/
Catalina

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am

Most likely Woolsey, or just possibly Hill (she did mention two fires in her last post). And yes, she
'probably has her hands full with more urgent stuff.

Logically speaking, I know that.
ElPrado2

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Last I heard from her, she was packed and ready to go. I believe she had to catch cats. Then she was sleeping on the couch fully clothed and ready.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Catalina wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am
Most likely Woolsey, or just possibly Hill (she did mention two fires in her last post). And yes, she
'probably has her hands full with more urgent stuff.

Logically speaking, I know that.
Yeah, it's possible she lives in Ventura County rather than LA County. There are fewer destroyed properties there. That process and timeline is similar to LA County recovery efforts. 200 of 249 properties affected by the Ventura County Woolsey and Hill fires have had Household Hazardous Waste assessments (Phase 1).

http://venturacountyrecovers.org/
https://maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappview ... fb26b86b96
lurkey mclurker

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm

My friend/colleague whose house is still standing in Paradise *just* got notice that they can return & check things out. Hopefully BA is somewhere safe & warm with her critters & most important possessions and will be able to return to her home soon too - please let it be intact and habitable. *crosses everything*