Santa Anita 2019

stark

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Ohh how I remember him, with CJ up winning the Classic paying $40, cha-ching!

Is your announcer any good at handicapping?
The one guy I know that can successfully wear 5 different hats is Eddie Burgart and his retirement is looming on the horizon.

It would not surprise me one bit to see FrankM do a closed circuit TV handicapping show before the days races and he can come with some winners the everyday fans down in the dungeon can look forward to.

Promote gambling, that's the new motto!

Any idea if Michael bet ala Dave Johnson where you could hear it in his calls? Otherwise, I don't think I ever heard anything much from him other than the actual calls, and they were very good.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

I don’t know if he’s much of a handicapper but he did continually call the mare Allaboutthatbass after the fish as opposed to the music signature in a race last June. A huge group in the 5th floor of the grandstand turned towards the speaker and yelled “Bass” (base), in unison. I suppose it can be said he had some treble calling that race.

Promoting gambling is fine. Maybe Frank can roam Frontrunner with Jay Cohen ( when he’s back from his illness) and sing Happy Birthday to patrons in different voices while betting the surrounding tables as to which voice he’s using. If calling races isn’t the highest priority, let’s think out of the box here.
stark

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 pm

From Ed Golden's SA stable notes.....

Agent Tony Matos, adept at developing apprentice riders into Eclipse Award winners, hopes his magic touch continues when he brings in 18-year-old Jean Carlos Diaz Jr. from his native Puerto Rico to join Santa Anita’s ever-competitive jockey colony.

Diaz, who carries a 10-pound weight allowance and tacks 106 pounds, is the son of veteran jockey Juan Carlos Diaz, Puerto Rico’s all-time leader in stakes victories and its champion rider the past 16 years. He began his career in 2000 and has compiled 4,772 victories with purse earnings of more than $40 million.

“I’m really excited to have young Diaz,” said Matos, who expects him to arrive at Santa Anita on Feb. 4 with his father, and to begin riding at The Great Race Place Feb. 7 with publication of the latest condition book.

Diaz is a graduate of Puerto Rico’s Escuela Vocacional Hipica which produced the sensational Ortiz brothers, Irad Jr. and Jose, in addition to fellow Puerto Rican Evin Roman, the 2017 Eclipse Award winner as outstanding apprentice rider, represented by Matos.
Starine

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

Escape Clause Exits La Canada Score ‘Well,’ Targeting Either Buena Vista Or Beholder Mile
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... lder-mile/
stark

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am

Diver52

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am
Happy Birthday #98 John Shear
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... rement_123#
Hear, hear!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.