Hard Spun Foals

MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm
HIDDEN SCROLL late scratch. Fractiois in gate. Reared up and threw jockey. Hope both are okay.

thanks for info. Just turned in to watch the race and see there is a delay and he's scratched. I guess they delayed the race after he reared.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 pm

MTO wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm
Happy Endings wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm
HIDDEN SCROLL late scratch. Fractiois in gate. Reared up and threw jockey. Hope both are okay.

thanks for info. Just turned in to watch the race and see there is a delay and he's scratched. I guess they delayed the race after he reared.
Maybe things like that can upset the other horses, so letting them walk around a bit and calm down is good for everyone, I guess. The scratch was almost instantaneous when he reared and threw his jockey. The camera angle was from the rear of the gates and at an angle, so not a good view of his gate, but he reared up to a completely vertical position. It wasn't just a little hop. I have seen horses rear and not get scratched and I have never seen a gate scratch happen that fast, so I figured they saw something and I worried that he hurt himself. So I was just scanning Twitter and someone posted that he pulled a shoe and was scratched because of that, which is minor and relatively good news, if true.
MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 pm

MALPAIS scratched from his comeback stakes race at Fairgrounds today. Don't know why.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Silver State finished second in the Lecomte. He really got boxed in during the stretch run and had to wait for running room, which gave the winner a jump on him. A better trip and he might have won. He also stumbled at the start and didn't get off well, so he was farther back than I expected him to be. So he had a troubled trip. He ran very well, considering the trouble. This was only his 3rd race, so he can surely move forward from this. He had no trouble with the distance and was closing on the winner at the wire.
MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:45 am

Happy Endings wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:53 pm
Silver State finished second in the Lecomte. He really got boxed in during the stretch run and had to wait for running room, which gave the winner a jump on him. A better trip and he might have won. He also stumbled at the start and didn't get off well, so he was farther back than I expected him to be. So he had a troubled trip. He ran very well, considering the trouble. This was only his 3rd race, so he can surely move forward from this. He had no trouble with the distance and was closing on the winner at the wire.
I just watched the replay. You are correct Happy Endings. Silver State ran one heck of a race in the Lecomte. That was a huge field and he had to go around a wall of horses and swung very wide and then got stuck behind horses for a period of time before getting through and surging. He did everything asked of him and was very impressive. Looks like he's got a bright future, as he can thread a needle, get bumped, move wide and still do well and full of run.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Bad news for the SPUN TO RUN team. Ortiz has jumped off in favor of Mucho Gusto. Dang! 😔
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Out For A Spin entered in the Houston Ladies Classic at Sam Houston Park, on Sunday, Jan. 26.

Malpais entered in the Stonerside Sprint Stakes at Sam Houston Park, on Sunday, Jan. 26.

Fortunate Girl is entered in an AOC race #1 at Fairgrounds on Saturday, Jan 25. I don't usually post entries for non-stakes races, but she is one I have particular interest in. She is coming off a long layoff.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Spun To Run looking for a rider for the Pegasus World Cup. Irad Ortiz took off to ride late entry Mucho Gusto for Baffert and just let Guerrero know yesterday. :cry:
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm

This tweet contains a picture of Spun To Run in his breeze last weekend. Notice how off center his tack is across his chest. Even though they said they didn't want him to go too fast, it made me wonder if it affected his performance in his breeze. Looks pretty distracting to me.

https://twitter.com/paulickreport/statu ... 66471?s=20
MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:00 pm

SPUN TO RUN was supposed to workout today for the Pagasus. Wonder if this was delayed due to the jockey switch.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:02 pm

MTO wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:00 pm
SPUN TO RUN was supposed to workout today for the Pagasus. Wonder if this was delayed due to the jockey switch.
He galloped: https://twitter.com/WatchXBTV/status/12 ... 88096?s=20
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am

Why is there not a Hard Spun Stakes? At one of the tracks where he ran and won stakes races?? Delaware Park, Turfway Park, Fairgrounds, Saratoga?
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:09 pm

SPUN TO RUN worked today at Palm Meadows. Bullet 4 furlongs in 47.3. 1/25
MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm

NECKER ISLAND nominated to G3 Swale at Gulfstream on Feb 1. Necker Island beat Silver State by a nose in an allowance. Silver State(by Hard Spun) ran a good 2nd this past weekend in the G3 LeComte.

GREEN LIGHT GO nominate to both G3 Swale and Holly Bull at Gulfstream on Feb 1. More likely for Swale. Hate to see these 2 Hard Spun colts run against each other.
MTO
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm
Spun To Run looking for a rider for the Pegasus World Cup. Irad Ortiz took off to ride late entry Mucho Gusto for Baffert and just let Guerrero know yesterday. :cry:
Castellano has the mount for SPUN TO RUN in the Pegasus per this article. Castellano was previously set to ride Tenfold for Asmussen in the Pegasus. He's off Tenfold .
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... ld_Cup_123

Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile winner Spun to Run, who will have Javier Castellano in the irons Saturday.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... n-pegasus/

Castellano to Ride Spun to Run in Pegasus
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:19 pm

MTO wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm
NECKER ISLAND nominated to G3 Swale at Gulfstream on Feb 1. Necker Island beat Silver State by a nose in an allowance. Silver State(by Hard Spun) ran a good 2nd this past weekend in the G3 LeComte.

GREEN LIGHT GO nominate to both G3 Swale and Holly Bull at Gulfstream on Feb 1. More likely for Swale. Hate to see these 2 Hard Spun colts run against each other.
I agree. Hate it when they go against each other. I want them both to win their races. But it's exciting to think there are potentially 3 Hard Spuns on the derby trail this year.

GLG is in Haskins Derby Dozen this week. And he lists Silver State as one to watch.
Last edited by Happy Endings on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 pm

MTO wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:47 pm
Happy Endings wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm
Spun To Run looking for a rider for the Pegasus World Cup. Irad Ortiz took off to ride late entry Mucho Gusto for Baffert and just let Guerrero know yesterday. :cry:
Castellano has the mount for SPUN TO RUN in the Pegasus per this article. Castellano was previously set to ride Tenfold for Asmussen in the Pegasus. He's off Tenfold .
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... ld_Cup_123

Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile winner Spun to Run, who will have Javier Castellano in the irons Saturday.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... n-pegasus/

Castellano to Ride Spun to Run in Pegasus
Good news!
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 pm

SPUN TO RUN's bullet work this morning.

https://twitter.com/WatchXBTV/status/12 ... 83424?s=09
Happy Endings
Posts: 1644
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Another note about Hard Spun's successful year in 2019

https://twitter.com/DarleyAmerica/statu ... 25793?s=20
Post Reply