Santa Anita 2019

peeptoad

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:42 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 pm
I looked to see if this was posted already, and didn't see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

https://thehorse.com/175555/
Excellent read, 'lurkey. Thanks for posting it...
MySaladDays

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 am

Kurenai wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 am

None of the trainers I worked for ever used water withdrawal. If a horse bleeds, they are rested for a few weeks. If they bleed again, they're retired. That's more humane than pumping them full with Lasix and other drugs. ;)

The climate we have here (Germany, France, England, Italy) isn't really different from Kentucky btw. :lol:
That brings to mind an interview they did with John Nerud, I had many years ago copied it out and saved it:

"Legendary trainer John Nerud, 98, said he only had one chronic bleeder in his long career. He said one out of 10 times he would spot a little blood on the grass where a horse grazed after racing. To these horses he would give iron, Vitamin B12, and ascorbic acid, which is a form of Vitamin C.
And rest.
On the count of the rest, Nerud had the right idea. It can take burst capillaries two to three weeks to repair themselves, and horses shouldn’t undergo strenuous exercise during that time."

I think horsemen here just don't want to give up their PEDs. But what is more worrying to me, aside from just getting a shot, is that we are breeding future "bleeders" because there is no doubt that it is a trait like any other that is passed on. By not retiring them from racing and allowing bleeders to continue to be part of the race track gene pool (they should not be bred for the racetrack, but for other sports and careers instead)
, I think I am not the only one in the world who thinks this is something that has long lasting effects, i.e. not just "on the day" we're giving the shots. We are perpetuating a weakness.
stark

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 am

For Breeders Cup weekend they are importing 20 (that's twenty) VETS to look things over prior to post time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 pm

While trainer Jerry Hollendorfer is being ruled off Calif. tracks....
What about owner Jerry Hollendorfer, is he too not allowed Belinda?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.