What you would like to see happen in racing before you die.

Somnambulist

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 pm

I want to see a Triple Crown. Badly. This year or at 80, as long as I'm not too addled to know what I'm looking at. I already know it would be the best day of my life. Better than the day I first read Murakami, Kesey, or Saunders, tasted New Orleans bread pudding, or saw BT live for the first time. Cliche, blah blah blah, yes, I know.

For a pipe dream, I'd love to see this sport reach what it did. I feel like it would be awesome to experience racing in a crowd the way Japan does. Must feel like a great concert, if not better.
Life At Zen

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Triple Crown. For sure.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Rick1323

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Another Secretariat............it would fix everything else, if only for a couple of years.
Everyone come home sound.....
Ballerina

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 pm

A sure fire prevention or cure for laminitis.
Sound of Freedom

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Virtual racing, where I can put on a pair of glasses and ride along with the horse I bet.
Matt Converse

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm

I'd like to see a filly win the Derby decisively and go for the Triple Crown.
Northport

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I want to see a Triple Crown. Badly. This year or at 80, as long as I'm not too addled to know what I'm looking at. I already know it would be the best day of my life. Better than the day I first read Murakami, Kesey, or Saunders, tasted New Orleans bread pudding, or saw BT live for the first time. Cliche, blah blah blah, yes, I know.

For a pipe dream, I'd love to see this sport reach what it did. I feel like it would be awesome to experience racing in a crowd the way Japan does. Must feel like a great concert, if not better.
Literally the same exact things you said. I would love to see an American (and maybe even an English) triple crown winner, and to see some involvement by the masses in racing. I have only been following Japanese racing for about two years, but I have seen every graded stakes race in that period. Perhaps it is because they have fewer and more concentrated meets (by numbers and geographically) but the turnout they have for even a GIII is pretty unreal. Maybe it is just good camera angles, but the tracks always look packed and even if I can't understand what they're saying, the chanting is pretty damn cool.
weeeeeeeee
hadrianmarcus

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 pm

1. Hialeah Park rise from the ashes...and to see the running of Grade One Hialeah Turf Cups and Widener Handicaps again.
2. A hostile takeover of Churchill Downs Incorporated by a vindictive billionaire who actually cares about horse racing.
3. A West Virginia bred Kentucky Derby winner (like Giovanni Boldini....)
stark

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 pm

I would like to see all of the class "B" and "C" tracks across the country close.

Well, maybe not close, but limit their exposure to their regional area, ie Evangeline or Beulah Park, there's absolutely no reason for DRF, TVG, HRTV to give them nationwide exposure like they do for the class "A" tracks.

Horseracing, if it is to survive in America, has to be a Class "A" operation, with class "A" horses, jockeys and trainers.

For comparison sake let's take a look at Major League Baseball......does anybody on a National level really care what the Mudville Hens did yesterday. Probably not. Oh sure, there are some folks in Detroit that might care, BUT NOBODY BETS ON THEM and creates pools of money for those involved in the sport to live off of. That's right, horse racing depends on the gambler to support the purses!!!!

Something like Belmont, Gulfstream, Churchill Downs and Santa Anita would be good enough. Pretty much every weekend could focus on the biggest bestest races from just a few major tracks. There is NO WAY that you're ever going to attract new fans by showing them $3,500 NW2L with a jock who looks like his last ride was on a carousel. With only 4 Class A tracks running the pools would be humongous each and every raceday, exoctic payoffs would attract gamblers from other sports, something we really need. If you're an owner/trainer at the top of the game you'll succeed beyond your wildest dreams, if you're not, oh well.

We have to raise the bar if we are to succeed, and yes I know that means some folks will lose their jobs and hobbies, life ain't fair. If you can ever convince me that people care about the NBA's D league and are willing to bet on it, I might change my mind, but for now I emphatically say LESS IS MORE.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
thinair

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Del Mar going back to dirt.
Sham

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Pimlico and environs rising up from being the middle child's armpit of the Triple Crown sequence.
Soto, Suni, Sham, whichever.
Senator L

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 am

I would like to see the Breeders Cup the most watched tv show ever :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Starine

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 am

Triple Crown winner.

No contest.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:20 am

Something impossible, but if I had one racing related wish it would be to see Secretariat race again. I do believe there will be a Triple Crown winner again one day. And this century certainly will have its equivalents of Man o'War and Secretariat, but horses like those two come along only once or possibly twice in a lifetime.

So I'll happily settle for seeing one of the two sons of A.P. Indy with the Kentucky Derby this year.
Plenilune

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 am

thinair wrote:Del Mar going back to dirt.
Oh my gosh, AMEN. Del Mar is my hometown track. Maybe it will happen.

http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/ ... f=3&t=1054

One can only hope for a well kept dirt track. Don't they have plans on widening the turf track as well?

I've been privileged to see three Triple Crown winners, plus two fillies to win the KY Derby. But I'd love to experience another TC winner with my daughter, for her to see it happen.
Dusty

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am

hadrianmarcus wrote:1. Hialeah Park rise from the ashes...and to see the running of Grade One Hialeah Turf Cups and Widener Handicaps again.
2. A hostile takeover of Churchill Downs Incorporated by a vindictive billionaire who actually cares about horse racing.
3. A West Virginia bred Kentucky Derby winner (like Giovanni Boldini....)
ABSOLUTELY an excellent post!
May they run with the WIND
tres borrachos

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 am

Mandatory contribution to a TB retirement fund that starts with a percentage of stud fees, percentage of foal sales, a minimum donation when a horse is registered with the JC, and a minimum percentage on purses. Then I'd like to see the fund administered by good people with purchases of land for retirement purposes.

I'd also like to see the number of newborns reduce by about 50% to start.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:49 am

stark wrote:I would like to see all of the class "B" and "C" tracks across the country close.

Well, maybe not close, but limit their exposure to their regional area, ie Evangeline or Beulah Park, there's absolutely no reason for DRF, TVG, HRTV to give them nationwide exposure like they do for the class "A" tracks.

Horseracing, if it is to survive in America, has to be a Class "A" operation, with class "A" horses, jockeys and trainers.

For comparison sake let's take a look at Major League Baseball......does anybody on a National level really care what the Mudville Hens did yesterday. Probably not. Oh sure, there are some folks in Detroit that might care, BUT NOBODY BETS ON THEM and creates pools of money for those involved in the sport to live off of. That's right, horse racing depends on the gambler to support the purses!!!!

Something like Belmont, Gulfstream, Churchill Downs and Santa Anita would be good enough. Pretty much every weekend could focus on the biggest bestest races from just a few major tracks. There is NO WAY that you're ever going to attract new fans by showing them $3,500 NW2L with a jock who looks like his last ride was on a carousel. With only 4 Class A tracks running the pools would be humongous each and every raceday, exoctic payoffs would attract gamblers from other sports, something we really need. If you're an owner/trainer at the top of the game you'll succeed beyond your wildest dreams, if you're not, oh well.

We have to raise the bar if we are to succeed, and yes I know that means some folks will lose their jobs and hobbies, life ain't fair. If you can ever convince me that people care about the NBA's D league and are willing to bet on it, I might change my mind, but for now I emphatically say LESS IS MORE.
As someone who would never have even given the first thought to going to Saratoga if he hadn't been introduced to racing, handicapping and betting at Suffolk Downs and the Massachusetts fairs, I respectfully disagree. Seeing great racing on TV plants the seed. For some, that's enough. But for me, and I'm sure many, many others, the opportunity to see and bet on live racing close to home, no matter how humble the setting, is the water that makes that seed sprout and grow.

Oh, and the purpose of minor league baseball and NBA D-League teams is to develop players for their parent clubs, not to generate betting interest. There is no betting interest in those leagues because winning is a secondary consideration. A closer parallel to racing would be the divisions of English soccer. The British bet on lower league games enthusiastically, because the Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs are independent entities. Winning is paramount, because the top teams in each division get promoted and the bottom teams get relegated. Players and managers do gain experience down there, but that's not the leagues' justification for existence. The same goes for minor league racetracks. Steve Cauthen rode his first winners in Ohio. Bill Mott trained his first winners in South Dakota. But that's not why the tracks they learned their craft at existed, and they didn't have guaranteed jobs at a specific major league track waiting for them if they succeeded.
Last edited by WaquoitNBroadBrush on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
carole

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 am

3 things, one of which is absolutely bonkers and totally impossible, you decide which ;)

1. A filly to win the US Triple Crown!
2. 2 US Triple Crown winners in one year, that's right dead heats in the Derby, Preakness and Belmont!
3. Sea The Stars to become an even more influential sire than his half bro Galileo!
Matt Converse

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am

carole wrote:3 things, one of which is absolutely bonkers and totally impossible, you decide which ;)

2 US Triple Crown winners in one year, that's right dead heats in the Derby, Preakness and Belmont!
I'm pretty sure that already happened, the stewards that year (1978) were so biased...
--Disgruntled Alydar fan