PETA Accuses Two Trainers of Cruelty to Horses

Extragear

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am

tres borrachos wrote:
Barnfour wrote:
Admin wrote:
Who do you reckon this girl could've gone to IN racing which would've had the same result?
She was a member of PETA,sent to Asmussen's barn with an agenda.To believe she went to work in Asmussen's barn as a hot walker and then decided to start her investigation is naive~
Let's say you're 100% correct, Barny.

So ignoring any potential truth is the way to handle it? If there is any truth, and any horses have been injured/hurt/killed by any trainer through abuse/neglect/stupidity, that isn't relevant because she was a PETA operative.

Let the horses die, right?

I'd say the suggestions from some of you to just ignore this are exactly what you all claim PETA does. Kills animals.

I've been avoiding this board for days because the posts on here disgust me.
Barnfour and Clocker simply do not know right from wrong.
Extragear

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 am

clocker wrote:What we are witnessing here is the frustration over the fact that not much will be accomplished by the reaction to this video. What was thought to be a game changer turned out to be much less. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.

And it didn't have anything to do with the posters here that didn't fall for the crap. No, it simply was because that the video contained a mishmash of material that mostly is not punishable by powers that be, who are obligated to due process.

Due process has been set up in civilized countries to protect against the easily-excited emotions of the mob. In this case, it is working. Fair people are glad about it, and it is OK to do an endzone dance because they won.
Much has been accomplished.

Blasi FIRED.
Asmussen lost owners.
You were exposed as an awful human being.

And as for the sport, wait until Derby week. The changes are coming. The media is going to make it impossible for the sport not to change, just like they did with baseball and football. The KY Derby is going to be a nightmare this year for the sport. Let's just say the Federal Government might make an appearance at Churchill Downs during Derby week. I will enjoy the televised perp walk. IRS.
Somnambulist

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:59 am

I had no idea how many PhD's in economics and history we had here.

The more you know.
islandgirl45

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 am

Spahny wrote:
clocker wrote:I'm looking for the non sequitur smiley.

Where did I ever connect the insightful observation that painfully mouthy and bossy animal rights activists turn average people off to anything with this particular set of charges?

Back to Comprehension 101 for you.
I simply thought you might have noticed by now how your overbearing approach to this subject was over-shadowing whatever insightful observations you were trying to bring in. And how many people you were turning off in the process. Not to mention the less than insightful assertion that somehow "America" is on your side on this one. PETA knows how to use the media and knows this is the sports big time of year. I strongly suspect that this video is not the only thing they have.They are probably holding on to much worse for the best moment. You know they do have 9 hours of stuff to work with.

Considering how most American's already feel about the sport, are you really going to assert that America won't be just a bit more turned off by what they are seeing in the behaviors in a video like this one than they will be by the people delivering it? Gary Stevens comprehends the situation. You? Not so much.

You're wound up tight enough now. I suggest you take a trip abroad for the next month or two. It's going to be a very bumpy ride. I plan on trying to defend the sport to the vast majority of Americans I know that already believe the game is corrupt. Most of them probably don't like PETA either. If horse racing attempts to defend itself simply by shifting the focus on to the animal rights group they will succeed only in making the sport look even worse.
I was thinking about the above suspicion as well. I wonder if there's more to come about the Asmussen barn, or perhaps even another?
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
clocker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:32 am

Spahny wrote:
clocker wrote:
Spahny wrote: Where is the face plant smiley?
I'm looking for the non sequitur smiley.

Where did I ever connect the insightful observation that painfully mouthy and bossy animal rights activists turn average people off to anything with this particular set of charges?

Back to Comprehension 101 for you.
I simply thought you might have noticed by now how your overbearing approach to this subject was over-shadowing whatever insightful observations you were trying to bring in. And how many people you were turning off in the process. Not to mention the less than insightful assertion that somehow "America" is on your side on this one. PETA knows how to use the media and knows this is the sports big time of year. I strongly suspect that this video is not the only thing they have. They are probably holding on to much worse for the best moment. You know they do have 9 hours of stuff to work with.

Considering how most American's already feel about the sport, are you really going to assert that America won't be just a bit more turned off by what they are seeing in the behaviors in a video like this one than they will be by the people delivering it? Gary Stevens comprehends the situation. You? Not so much.

You're wound up tight enough now. I suggest you take a trip abroad for the next month or two. It's going to be a very bumpy ride. I plan on trying to defend the sport to the vast majority of Americans I know that already believe the game is corrupt. Most of them probably don't like PETA either. If horse racing attempts to defend itself simply by shifting the focus on to the animal rights group they will succeed only in making the sport look even worse.
Where's my non sequitur smiley again?
People who are spiking the ball are not the one's wound tight, they are the ones with grins. Like many others, we are seeing what we wanted happen: punishment limited to specific wrongdoing, and avoidance of kool-aid consumption by the the mass of the bystanders.

Sorry about your frustration. Please hinge your hopes upon unseen video, but also prepare for additional disappointments when sweeping results don't materialize out of this. Be happy with a testing tweak at the Wood M., because hasty-but-minor paperovers are likely the best that you are going to enjoy. A priestly cold shower to cool the passions might be in order.
second_glance

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:43 am

The Jockey Club advised the racing industry today that if the "major racing states" have not implemented the national uniform medication program supported by the The Jockey Club and found at http://www.horseracingreform.org by the time of the next Jockey Club Round Table Aug. 10, that the organization will throw its weight behind federal legislation for the industry.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/in ... ertID=3671

Statement of Ogden Phillips, chair of TJC: "Enough is enough."

http://www.jockeyclub.com/Default.asp?s ... &story=699
clocker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am

second_glance wrote:The Jockey Club advised the racing industry today that if the "major racing states" have not implemented the national uniform medication program supported by the The Jockey Club and found at http://www.horseracingreform.org by the time of the next Jockey Club Round Table Aug. 10, that the organization will throw its weight behind federal legislation for the industry.

Even though I was guaranteed repeatedly by animal rights posters over the last week that federal action wasn't at the root of their push, this exposes the real goal that I maintained from the start. And is the only reason why I am here to begin with. Thank you Mr. Phillips. :lol:

Luckily, it is an election season where nothing gets done. Good luck to the Jockey Club. Their frustration brought out the honesty of the situation, and I am tickled for that. The time for deceitful posing is over.
hadrianmarcus

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 am

clocker wrote:
second_glance wrote:The Jockey Club advised the racing industry today that if the "major racing states" have not implemented the national uniform medication program supported by the The Jockey Club and found at http://www.horseracingreform.org by the time of the next Jockey Club Round Table Aug. 10, that the organization will throw its weight behind federal legislation for the industry.

Even though I was guaranteed repeatedly by animal rights posters over the last week that federal action wasn't at the root of their push, this exposes the real goal that I maintained from the start. And is the only reason why I am here to begin with. Thank you Mr. Phillips. :lol:

Luckily, it is an election season where nothing gets done. Good luck to the Jockey Club. Their frustration brought out the honesty of the situation, and I am tickled for that. The time for deceitful posing is over.
If horse racing does nothing….it supports your position…why allow PETA zealots to control horse racing’s agenda.
If horse racing does very little and stonewalls…it supports your position….the diligent slow wheels of due process.
If horse racing does something…it supports your position…time for deceitful posing to be over.

Masterful, simply masterful…….
clocker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 am

Admin wrote:
clocker wrote:

How you manage to see the above as anything at all supporting your position is beyond me. And I suspect everyone except for you.

This is yet another example of the opposite of your position -- people in the industry are talking and acting, in direct contradiction to your idea that nothing is happening or going to happen.
I cannot know what any of the JC members are thinking. But, reading between the lines, it seems that why the thermonuclear threat to go federal happened is that there wasn't news of mass fainting by state regulatory bodies or most racetracks over the PETA thing. No emergency meetings. No pledges of future interstate cooperation. No news from major tracks that they were forming a league, or other things ill-thought in a panic rush. As a result, they stomped their collective foot.

I appreciate the contributions and efforts of the silver spoon fellas to the sport. It's just that I think that--as I told you upon being asked--that greater federal control is the path to eventual suicide for racing.

I hate politics and ignore them wherever they don't impact me. But I've been told by those of aware of them that this year might be another watershed year marked by great turnover; with the dominating theme being the anti-wisdom of federal overreach, highlighted by the bungling of another well-meant federal "solution." With present office-holders gripped by fear over a loss of power. With the bossiest of them in swing districts/states being in the most jeopardy.

So, in that spirit, I invite Mr. Phipps to name his baby "The Affordable-Drug Testing Act." Let's see how many pols are going to rush to his side.
Somnambulist

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:59 pm

If you can't stand politics why is every single one of your posts about them.

You can sprinkle as much grandiloquent language as you'd like in your musings, but it doesn't make you anything but utterly delusional. This game needs a facelift; to deny it steals away from your credibility. While it does not need to be from the public sphere, because the private one has refused to anything you cannot possible think that it was just going to fall by the wayside. Someone was going to, and since racing has sat with one thumb in it's my mouth and the other up it's ass what else would you possibly think would happen.

Racing not caring about itself would be it's suicide sooner than governmental intervention. One led to the other.
Ballerina

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm

And yet another in the industry weighing. Good one.

Please Stand Up

Updated: 4:40 PM ET (First posted: 1:49 PM ET)
by Dan Liebman

Stand up before you read this column.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever bad-mouthed an owner, please sit down.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever run a horse he didn’t think was 100 percent healthy, please sit down.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever been happy a horse in his barn was claimed, please sit down.

OK, so we are all still standing.

If you think Scott Blasi is representative of all trainers in America, please sit down.

Right, still standing.

If you think Scott Blasi should be ruled off all racetracks for life, please sit down.

Ah, some of you sat down.

So did I.

Yes, we all know PETA doesn’t want reforms in Thoroughbred racing. PETA wants racing shut down.
Immediately. Forever.

We also are all aware that PETA boiled down hours of video recordings taken by an undercover investigator to less than 10 minutes of released footage.

Neither of which matters; the rest of you can sit down now.

If PETA had recorded 100 hours of video and released the same amount of tape, the conclusions would be the same: Thoroughbred racing remains a sport in chaos that can only be fixed, as Arthur Hancock and others have been saying for years, with federal intervention and a central governing body much like a major sport’s commissioner.

The strongly worded and well-written op-ed by Thoroughbred Daily News publisher Barry Weisbord’s was spot on. It is time for the industry to get off its collective ass and make changes to how things are done. Changes that will reform horse racing; that will save horse racing.

Here are some of this writer’s thoughts on the subject after 40 years of observation:

* Blasi should be ruled off. The industry does not need people like Blasi caring for its athletes. Scapegoat: surely. Necessary: definitely.

* Steve Asmussen should be handed a lengthy suspension — years, not months. Trainers are responsible for what happens in their barns. Period.

* Do not allow the horses in Asmussen’s stable to be transferred to one of his assistants. Insist they are moved to other trainers.

* Come up with a list of medications that can be used. No others can be administered. No more of this mantra that if it is not illegal to use, it must be legal to use.

* No race-day medication. None.

* Stop allowing vets to rule the backsides. As Weisbord said, study the Hong Kong method and institute a similar model. The only drugs administered come from a pharmacy owned by the racing association. No other medications are permitted on the grounds. A state vet must be consulted before any treatment is allowed.

* Quit the insanity of year-round racing.

* Scott Blasi may not be a poster child for the industry, but he is not representative of it, either. The vast majority of trainers, assistant trainers, grooms and hotwalkers are decent, hard-working people who have the best interests of the horse at heart.

* Racing is an expensive sport in which to participate. Most horses lose money; thus most owners lose money. There is pressure to race, to win. Owners must share responsibility, letting their trainers know it is OK to say a horse needs time off before racing again.

* People must be willing to give up their fiefdoms of power. Yes, this refers to state racing commissions. The obvious difference between the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., and Thoroughbred racing is those sports have a commissioner with power. Imagine if one state in baseball decided to shorten its base paths, one state in basketball decided its goals would be 11-feet high and one state in football said you get a first down for every nine yards. We would all think it outrageous. Yet we allow it in racing.

* I never thought I would ever think PETA did the industry a service. But it has. We should have undercover agents in every barn on the backside to root out the Scott Blasi’s of the world.

* I also never thought I would hear Wayne Lukas and Gary Stevens talking about the use of buzzers like it was a common occurrence. Shameful.

We can keep on the same misguided path or we can champion change in the industry.

Do enough industry participants have the courage to fight for meaningful change, to make things right?

As this column began you were asked to stand up. Will you stand up for racing?

Let’s ask a morning linemaker to set the odds on that.

Dan Liebman is editor of The State Journal in Frankfort, Ky. He spent 17 years with The Blood-Horse and previously worked for The Racing Times and Daily Racing Form.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sh ... h.facebook
clocker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Somnambulist wrote:If you can't stand politics why is every single one of your posts about them.
As one who never enters the political part of this forum, I can guarantee you that it is true. I have a stack of unused mail-in ballots among the piles of other unopened mail that have been set aside over the years that I could show you.

I despise that a nominal "racing" section of this board contains so many threads that deal with political suggestions or solutions like that of the Jockey Club. And that more neutral members have to wade through a blizzard of them that have nothing to do with entries, scratches, personal picks, or horses actually going around an oval. Their noses are being rubbed in ancilliary matters that deserve to have their own sub-sections, and that's a shame. Contrary to the ridiculous assertions above, I am not in isolation when it comes to federal solutions for small matters. I suspect that other posters--even those who are fully aware of the arguments--wish that this kind of blather could be conducted elsewhere.

But it's not my call and never will be. Trouble is, complaining to me is bitching to the wrong target.
Catalina

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Ballerina wrote:And yet another in the industry weighing. Good one.

Please Stand Up

by Dan Liebman

((beginning of article deleted))

Here are some of this writer’s thoughts on the subject after 40 years of observation:

* Blasi should be ruled off. The industry does not need people like Blasi caring for its athletes. Scapegoat: surely. Necessary: definitely.

* Steve Asmussen should be handed a lengthy suspension — years, not months. Trainers are responsible for what happens in their barns. Period.

* Do not allow the horses in Asmussen’s stable to be transferred to one of his assistants. Insist they are moved to other trainers.

* Come up with a list of medications that can be used. No others can be administered. No more of this mantra that if it is not illegal to use, it must be legal to use.

* Stop allowing vets to rule the backsides. As Weisbord said, study the Hong Kong method and institute a similar model. The only drugs administered come from a pharmacy owned by the racing association. No other medications are permitted on the grounds. A state vet must be consulted before any treatment is allowed.

* Scott Blasi may not be a poster child for the industry, but he is not representative of it, either. The vast majority of trainers, assistant trainers, grooms and hotwalkers are decent, hard-working people who have the best interests of the horse at heart.

* Racing is an expensive sport in which to participate. Most horses lose money; thus most owners lose money. There is pressure to race, to win. Owners must share responsibility, letting their trainers know it is OK to say a horse needs time off before racing again.

* People must be willing to give up their fiefdoms of power. Yes, this refers to state racing commissions. The obvious difference between the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., and Thoroughbred racing is those sports have a commissioner with power. Imagine if one state in baseball decided to shorten its base paths, one state in basketball decided its goals would be 11-feet high and one state in football said you get a first down for every nine yards. We would all think it outrageous. Yet we allow it in racing.

* I never thought I would ever think PETA did the industry a service. But it has. We should have undercover agents in every barn on the backside to root out the Scott Blasi’s of the world.

* I also never thought I would hear Wayne Lukas and Gary Stevens talking about the use of buzzers like it was a common occurrence. Shameful.

YES!!!
serenassong

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Ballerina wrote:And yet another in the industry weighing. Good one.

Please Stand Up

by Dan Liebman

Stand up before you read this column.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever bad-mouthed an owner, please sit down.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever run a horse he didn’t think was 100 percent healthy, please sit down.

If you think Scott Blasi is the only trainer in America who has ever been happy a horse in his barn was claimed, please sit down.

OK, so we are all still standing.

If you think Scott Blasi is representative of all trainers in America, please sit down.

Right, still standing.

If you think Scott Blasi should be ruled off all racetracks for life, please sit down.

Ah, some of you sat down.

So did I.

Yes, we all know PETA doesn’t want reforms in Thoroughbred racing. PETA wants racing shut down.
Immediately. Forever.

We also are all aware that PETA boiled down hours of video recordings taken by an undercover investigator to less than 10 minutes of released footage.

Neither of which matters; the rest of you can sit down now.

If PETA had recorded 100 hours of video and released the same amount of tape, the conclusions would be the same: Thoroughbred racing remains a sport in chaos that can only be fixed, as Arthur Hancock and others have been saying for years, with federal intervention and a central governing body much like a major sport’s commissioner.

The strongly worded and well-written op-ed by Thoroughbred Daily News publisher Barry Weisbord’s was spot on. It is time for the industry to get off its collective ass and make changes to how things are done. Changes that will reform horse racing; that will save horse racing.

We can keep on the same misguided path or we can champion change in the industry.

Do enough industry participants have the courage to fight for meaningful change, to make things right?

As this column began you were asked to stand up. Will you stand up for racing?

Let’s ask a morning linemaker to set the odds on that.

Dan Liebman is editor of The State Journal in Frankfort, Ky. He spent 17 years with The Blood-Horse and previously worked for The Racing Times and Daily Racing Form.

Couldn't have said it better myself- in total agreement.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
clocker

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:59 pm

If you want to get a feel for how this is resonating with the general public, then I recommend going to one of the high-volume generic news aggregators. If you have clicked on yahoo news, google news, or even something more political like drudgereport, then you have noticed that this story disappeared down the memory hole pronto. (Granted, if you live on the paulickreport, then you have been getting a steady diet of inside baseball material that is geared for its tiny audience.)

If you want to pursue it, look for remarks from politicians that are being lobbied to respond. Where are they? Either not caring, not getting any mail/email, or hiding from an issue containing no upside and only downside, if their participation requires some real action. Who's gonna stick their neck out in an election season, especially when the stimulus originates from a known fruitcake operation like PETA?

Please don't slay me, I am only the messenger. Do this searching for yourself to see whether I am wrong. Please come back to post any groundswell stemming from mainstream America that escapes the rest of us. Get out of your inbred cocoon for once, just to doublecheck or recalibrate your own antennae. You owe it to yourself.
Barnfour

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:49 pm

clocker wrote:If you want to get a feel for how this is resonating with the general public, then I recommend going to one of the high-volume generic news aggregators. If you have clicked on yahoo news, google news, or even something more political like drudgereport, then you have noticed that this story disappeared down the memory hole pronto. (Granted, if you live on the paulickreport, then you have been getting a steady diet of inside baseball material that is geared for its tiny audience.)

If you want to pursue it, look for remarks from politicians that are being lobbied to respond. Where are they? Either not caring, not getting any mail/email, or hiding from an issue containing no upside and only downside, if their participation requires some real action. Who's gonna stick their neck out in an election season, especially when the stimulus originates from a known fruitcake operation like PETA?

Please don't slay me, I am only the messenger. Do this searching for yourself to see whether I am wrong. Please come back to post any groundswell stemming from mainstream America that escapes the rest of us. Get out of your inbred cocoon for once, just to doublecheck or recalibrate your own antennae. You owe it to yourself.
This ^^^^ Is Correct.

I've asked people lately that don't generally follow horse racing what they thought of the latest news the last few weeks.Not one person knew the news I was talking about.My mom watches the news and reads the paper.I never told her about it but asked her if she saw anything.Nothing.Someone at the pool that is always talking about the horses with me and has worked around horses on and off the last ten years walking hots just to stay fit never heard anything when I asked him yesterday.I have to conclude that mainstream media doesn't give a crap about any of it.

And clocker is right in what he says about no one wanting to hitch their wagon to the loons at PETA~

Sorry to bring a bit of reality to light~
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Barnfour

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 pm

But BIG things have happened so far as the 'genius' Quiet Chris pointed out.Scott Blasi was fired (deservedly so),and Asmussen has lost horses.I know losing 5% of his stock so far is going hurt bad.Now he only has 3x as many horses as the guy in the next barn~

(I do expect him to get suspended eventually for the only thing in that tape that they can really use against him,that being his hiring practices).
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Somnambulist

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Fans can't want a sport they're proud to be a fan of? This doesn't really need to be about the general public.

It's about the horses, the people who are getting paid nothing, and the fanbase.
Extragear

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Barnfour wrote:But BIG things have happened so far as the 'genius' Quiet Chris pointed out.Scott Blasi was fired (deservedly so),and Asmussen has lost horses.I know losing 5% of his stock so far is going hurt bad.Now he only has 3x as many horses as the guy in the next barn~

(I do expect him to get suspended eventually for the only thing in that tape that they can really use against him,that being his hiring practices).

The game is over for the BarnFours and Clockers of the world. When Phipps chimes in and threatens change or the Feds he gets what he wants. People forget he has a little pull in Congress. LOL. Even named a horse after the Speaker. Thanks for playing guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Equipoise

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 pm

The Jockey Club is usually the most passive of organizations. The Overton Window is moving in favor of reform