Ben's Cat

luvsgeldings

Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm

yeah I hope Ben can retire now - it always makes me sad to see these old warriors finishing at the back of the pack - that's not Ben - always wish they could go out a winner - but mostly, very grateful he is safe - he should be done now.... he has done more than enough.
mariasmon

Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
PJMIII wrote:Ben's Cat earns fifth straight Mister Diz victory

Julian Pimentel kept Ben's Cat under a snug hold until a furlong from home, then signaled for him to go and spurted away to win the $74,250 Mister Diz, the first of three stakes races Saturday afternoon at Pimlico.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editoria ... i?id=43705
Well is this finally the race that prompts retirement--thank God he came home safe and sound
I'm really confused as to why you quoted that post from several years ago.
StarGirl11

Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I was talking with someone on Thursday about Cat and he mentioned that supposedly they had tried to retire him before (don't know the timing). Apparently the horse hated it (or as much as one can). So if that's true and he really is tailing off I wonder what they'll do with him if he's not the quiet pasture type (pony horse maybe?)
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Ben sounds like the sort of high-energy horse who needs something to do. If he doesn't have regular, satisfying activity...some sort of job?...he frets/sulks. ;)
Diver52

Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 am

He may need a job, but it isn't racing.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
SSilence86

Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Connections said that Ben was sledding all over the track, and that he'll be back. They also know they'll receive criticism for it.
sweettalk

Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Connections said that Ben was sledding all over the track, and that he'll be back. They also know they'll receive criticism for it.
:roll: well, we'll see...
StarGirl11

Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Connections said that Ben was sledding all over the track, and that he'll be back. They also know they'll receive criticism for it.
I'm not entirely surprised by the sledding. The downpour did start just as they were finishing loading for the Jim McKay. That had to have some impact on the race.
WarBiscuit

Sat May 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I believe that Ben's Cat will likely continue to race for the rest of the year unless he really starts to deteriorate and run poorly, which in all fairness, he has not done this season. Yesterday he had bad luck with the rain and he's never been one to relish a muddy track. His first race this year was not a bad one at all - he just didn't win it.
I am not defending the decision to continue running him, however, I do understand both sides here. Yes, he's 11 years old and has done plenty enough to earn a comfortable retirement, but I think that Mr. Leatherbury and McCarthy need a better excuse to retire him and have not seen it yet based on his performances during the past year. Risky business? Maybe, but as Dustino used to point out, he is a superbly managed and conditioned horse, and some here may be worrying a bit too much about his well being at present. I certainly would not mind seeing him retired, but again, I would not be surprised one bit to see a final "rejuvenation of the sap" on the track at the conclusion of his fine career. Whatever the case, I wish nothing but the best of luck to BC and his people.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
SSilence86

Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Sledding? :D was suppose to be slipping. Autocorrect.

I love Ben. He gets a pass for this race due to weather and track conditions. He has still been competitive in his last races, even if he hasn't won like we are accustomed too.
I'm ok as a fan, with continuing to run him for the year as long as he remains healthy, happy and enjoying the competition.
Sparrow Castle

Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 am

Leatherbury Will Keep Pressing on With ‘Ben’
Though 11-year-old Ben Cat’s (Parker’s Storm Cat) has failed to finish in the money in his two starts so far this year, owner, trainer and breeder King T. Leatherbury said that he will continue to race the horse.

In his last outing Friday, Ben’s Cat was eighth in the Jim McKay Turf Sprint at Pimlico, a race he had won in each of the last four years and five times overall.

“It was a wet track,” Leatherbury said of the McKay course conditions, which were listed as firm despite a considerable amount of rain hitting Baltimore in the hours in and around the race. “He was slipping, so we’re giving him another excuse. He came out of it fine and he was only beaten four lengths. We’re going on with him. I think we can still get a piece of the purses, especially if we get the right trip.”

Ben’s Cat has lost seven straight, with his last win coming in the 2016 McKay.

Leatherbury said he has not picked out a race for Ben’s Cat’s next start, but said it’s unlikely he will head to Penn National for the June 3 Pennsylvania Governor’s Cup.

“I’ll probably just see what we have here for him in Maryland,” he said.

When asked at what point Leatherbury would retire Ben’s Cat, he replied: “When he’s not picking up any checks.”

The trainer said he has already found a post-race home for Ben’s Cat in Kentucky, a farm that reached out to him and asked if they could have the horse when he’s done racing.

“They’re going to let him live the rest of his life in luxury,” Leatherbury said.

Ben’s Cat has made 62 career starts and has won 32 races with earnings of $2,643,782. He has 26 stakes wins to his credit.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... qg.twitter
sweettalk

Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 am

When asked at what point Leatherbury would retire Ben’s Cat, he replied: “When he’s not picking up any checks.”
you mean like now? unless that 5th place earned a check. which actually makes the statement seem worse.
Ridan_Remembered

Thu May 25, 2017 9:10 am

sweettalk wrote:
you mean like now? unless that 5th place earned a check. which actually makes the statement seem worse.
There are expressions to describe people like Leatherbury, but none of them are nice and clean enough to post here. If that horse dies on the track or in a training "accident," the last thing I would want to read or hear is that Ben went out doing what he loved. That would be pure BS. :evil:
barbaro111

Thu May 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Leatherbury must be a money grubber of the worst order to continue to race an 11 year old horse who hasn't raced well or earned a check in a while and ya know, God forbid if something happens to Ben on the track he would say Ben died doing what he loved, which would be so much BS
sweettalk

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 pm

i dunno, guys... :(
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:51 pm

I do.
It's time to retire The Cat. Even if he didn't finish last in that race, it was far enough back that exact placement doesn't really matter.
King...dude...retire this nice horse while he's still sound enough to enjoy his well-earned retirement. :evil:
barbaro111

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I do.
It's time to retire The Cat. Even if he didn't finish last in that race, it was far enough back that exact placement doesn't really matter.
King...dude...retire this nice horse while he's still sound enough to enjoy his well-earned retirement. :evil:

This wonderful horse needs to be retired NOW
TouchOfGrey

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Ben's Cat retired from racing at age 11
"There's a lady who comes to the Preakness every year, and she always tells me that when he is ready to retire that she'd love to have him," Leatherbury said. "I called her last night and said, 'This is the call you've been waiting for.' "
WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:50 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:Ben's Cat retired from racing at age 11
"There's a lady who comes to the Preakness every year, and she always tells me that when he is ready to retire that she'd love to have him," Leatherbury said. "I called her last night and said, 'This is the call you've been waiting for.' "
I was wondering what that noise was this morning - and I realized that it was a collective sigh of relief from just about everybody here at TBC, and all over the land.

While I can surely understand the reluctance of Mr. Leatherbury to finally retire his old friend, he can very proud today - not only of Bens great career on the track, but of his own decision to call it a day with this horse. Good job - KL and BC. Happy, healthy and long retirement to Ben's Cat!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
lurkey mclurker

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Oh yay! ...and can you imagine getting that phone call??? So happy for Ben & his adopter, may they have many many happy relaxing years together. : )))))))