California Chrome

Big Ten

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:42 am

If the 2016 San Pascual will be an eventual showdown between Dortmund v California Chrome, it will be a great acid test for both of them early on.

One is the proven champion who could be overrated but also be technically faster but needs to reach back to his form from two years ago. The other has better form and more recency. The bigger horse with the bigger heart. In a way, they are so different. California Chrome's weakness if he is inside or in between horses, he loses like cheap speed. He is also more inconsistent but is proven beyond 9F and outside CA. Dortmund is capable of winning if another horse passes him from the outside as seen in the Robert B. Lewis except the horses he defeated are questionable and his final time and closing kick in the San Felipe and SA Derby were not as impressive as CC's.

This showdown is much closer to me than Shared Belief v California Chrome or American Pharoah v Dortmund. It was quite obvious to me which horses were better. If we switched California Chrome and Dortmund around with their years, I still see Dortmund losing to Shared Belief and California Chrome losing to American Pharoah about the same margin as Dortmund did in the Derby. It is the Alydar of 2014 v 2015. Now Shared Belief v American Pharoah would've been interesting like a Sunday Silence v Easy Goer both born in the wrong year-types. California Chrome reminds me a little of Lava Man except chestnut. Sometimes sink or swim. While Dortmund rarely loses like SB & AP. Even if CC draws the outside, Dortmund can battle back on the inside.

Dortmund deserves some play since he already had two recent wins under his belt and he is the more consistent and grittier horse. I also prefer his sire, Big Brown, who only lost once in his career. Could be the chalk. If you still believe in Chrome can return to that 2014 form with his workouts and he can win coming from a long layoff, he could be a better play. Like I said before, I like BOTH horses and grateful the last two previous San Felipe/Santa Anita Derby winners are still around. Dortmund was my Derby horse. I love how Baffert has another good horse and if he BCC threepeats with Dortmund, I am all for it. But after seeing Lava Man make the HoF last year, I believe CC is much closer to that HoF level with his four G1's already. Dortmund is more of a good horse, not-HoF material.

California Chrome ftw. Coburn is gone, so things quieted down. I felt his 2014 HotY was given to him more for that earlier half. Bayern was the better 3YO in the latter half but he was so sink or swim in the first half that they just gave it to CC. CC can really justify his honors like Skip Away NOT truly deserving his older male award for 1997 but justifying it in 1998. He is the 2016 headliner. Before AP, CC was the first to capture my heart in this decade since Zenyatta. I want to see California Chrome redeem himself again in the 2016 BC Classic, his possible finale. First Cal-bred BC winner since Tiznow. And first ever Cal-bred to win a BC Classic IN California. Chrome makes 2016 BCC a California classic! It isn't a Grand Slam finale like AP's, but it would still make a great storybook ending for him, his connections, and his Chromies.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:50 am

A beautiful photo from the work with Victor up last Saturday at Santa Anita. The horse looks absolutely stunning, in superb condition.

Somnambulist

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:^^If you guys get bored, there are almost 1,000 comments on that CC article from yesterday on Blood-Horse :shock:
Although some here snicker and turn their noses up at the "Chromies," the fact is the horse is very popular and good for racing. Chrome's story is a wildly interesting fairy tale with an ending yet to be written. So it doesn't surprise me that articles about him draw lots of eyeballs, clicks, comments and, yes, arguments.
These people are NOT good for racing, or humanity in general. They're insane. I'd rather not have any attention to racing than a bunch of psychos. The Chrome fans literally offer nothing to racing. They don't bet or work in the industry, they just troll.
peeptoad

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 am

I agree with Som on the Chromies... no good for anything. Fans of the horse California Chrome on the other hand are good for the sport, but the two are very distinct from each other.
Somnambulist

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:24 pm

peeptoad wrote:I agree with Som on the Chromies... no good for anything. Fans of the horse California Chrome on the other hand are good for the sport, but the two are very distinct from each other.
Absolutely. I'm sure Chrome has brought attention to some sane, new fans but these other people are actually legitimately crazy. It's borderline scary, actually. The Internet is a great thing but it gives psychos too much of a platform. Nothing worse than stupid people having the ability to rant and having a band of other stupid people rally around it.
Life At Zen

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:^^If you guys get bored, there are almost 1,000 comments on that CC article from yesterday on Blood-Horse :shock:
Although some here snicker and turn their noses up at the "Chromies," the fact is the horse is very popular and good for racing. Chrome's story is a wildly interesting fairy tale with an ending yet to be written. So it doesn't surprise me that articles about him draw lots of eyeballs, clicks, comments and, yes, arguments.
These people are NOT good for racing, or humanity in general. They're insane. I'd rather not have any attention to racing than a bunch of psychos. The Chrome fans literally offer nothing to racing. They don't bet or work in the industry, they just troll.
Agree x10
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Big Ten, Baffert announced yesterday that Dortmund would not be running in the San Pasqual.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... an-pasqual
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... n-pasqual/
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:37 am

Somnambulist wrote:These people are NOT good for racing, or humanity in general. They're insane. I'd rather not have any attention to racing than a bunch of psychos. The Chrome fans literally offer nothing to racing. They don't bet or work in the industry, they just troll.
Note that I said the HORSE is very popular and good for racing. How many 5-year-old entire horses draw the kind of media attention Chrome does? How many draw the massive public interest? If that isn't good for the sport, I don't know what is.

Also, who are "these" people you speak of? Do you seriously think that every last person who is interested in Chrome is "insane?" Does lack of knowledge makes someone "insane?" Does going over-the-top emotionally over a horse make someone "insane?" Do you seriously think that such people represent the entirety of all the people who follow Chrome's career? For example, the Taylors of Taylor Made are obvious fans of Chrome because they bought an interest in the horse. Are people like them included in your sweeping condemnation of "those people?"
dustino140

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:18 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:These people are NOT good for racing, or humanity in general. They're insane. I'd rather not have any attention to racing than a bunch of psychos. The Chrome fans literally offer nothing to racing. They don't bet or work in the industry, they just troll.
Note that I said the HORSE is very popular and good for racing. How many 5-year-old entire horses draw the kind of media attention Chrome does? How many draw the massive public interest? If that isn't good for the sport, I don't know what is.

Also, who are "these" people you speak of? Do you seriously think that every last person who is interested in Chrome is "insane?" Does lack of knowledge makes someone "insane?" Does going over-the-top emotionally over a horse make someone "insane?" Do you seriously think that such people represent the entirety of all the people who follow Chrome's career? For example, the Taylors of Taylor Made are obvious fans of Chrome because they bought an interest in the horse. Are people like them included in your sweeping condemnation of "those people?"
Aren't the Taylors of Taylor Made really just fans of his future stud career? It's not like they bought into him because he's pretty.

I think there is a huge chasm between the folks that are labeled as 'Chromies' and the people that like California Chrome. And I think we all realize that.

But I would say that someone going over-the-top emotionally over a horse they're in no way associated with (besides fandom) makes them a little insane, yes.
And I would say that, while lack of knowledge doesn't make them insane, a lack of willingness to learn makes them a huge frustration. And that's completely on them.
Insane Crazy

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Also, who are "these" people you speak of? Do you seriously think that every last person who is interested in Chrome is "insane?" Does lack of knowledge makes someone "insane?" Does going over-the-top emotionally over a horse make someone "insane?" Do you seriously think that such people represent the entirety of all the people who follow Chrome's career? For example, the Taylors of Taylor Made are obvious fans of Chrome because they bought an interest in the horse. Are people like them included in your sweeping condemnation of "those people?"
Som and Peep both clarified that they mean the 'Chromies' and not just all fans of CC. There's a distinct and visible difference. Lack of knowledge makes no one insane, but a staunch refusal to learn or to accept the word of experts or others who just plain know more about racing? That's pretty lame, if not a negative in the sanity column.

The 'Chromies' have shown over and over that they have no intention of learning about or contributing positively to our sport, and instead overtly anthropomorphize a horse, attack its connections, and go bananas on anyone who tries to tell them something about racing or horses in general. Do you think Taylor Made is going to enjoy sharing information about Chrome in his retirement when they are flooded with harassment after every pic? The only impact they could have, quite frankly, sucks.
Last edited by Insane Crazy on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
peeptoad

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 am

dustino140 wrote:
I think there is a huge chasm between the folks that are labeled as 'Chromies' and the people that like California Chrome. And I think we all realize that.
This. And it's what was posted previously in response to the same post of yours, RR.
peeptoad

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:34 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Also, who are "these" people you speak of? Do you seriously think that every last person who is interested in Chrome is "insane?" Does lack of knowledge makes someone "insane?" Does going over-the-top emotionally over a horse make someone "insane?" Do you seriously think that such people represent the entirety of all the people who follow Chrome's career? For example, the Taylors of Taylor Made are obvious fans of Chrome because they bought an interest in the horse. Are people like them included in your sweeping condemnation of "those people?"
Som and Peep both clarified that they mean the 'Chromies' and not just all fans of CC. There's a distinct and visible difference. Lack of knowledge makes no one insane, but a staunch refusal to learn or to accept the word of experts or others who just plain know more about racing? That's pretty lame, if not a negative in the sanity column. The 'Chromies' have shown over and over that they have no intention of learning about or contributing positively to our sport, and instead overtly anthropomorphize a horse, attack its connections, and go bananas on anyone who tries to tell them something about racing or horses in general.
Thanks, IC. ;) And I quote you so your post shows near the top of the page since the bottom posts tend to go unread more often (not that that matters much in this instance).
Insane Crazy

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:40 am

How kind of you! :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 am

How hard is it to read. Truthfully.

People just read what they want to. No wonder people leave this forum. It is SO OLD being constantly told you're doing one thing when it is plain as day English they you are saying another entirely.
canvasjockey

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Good to see him looking so good, looking forward to his comeback!

I think it was noted that there are fan's (people who like the horse) and Chromies... a term coined to seperate those that have gone overboard from normal fans, which are overall good for the sport.

The Chromies are a group that seems to thrive on crossing lines that are socially unacceptable. It's not just them though, I've seen it elsewhere, yet it's all so sadly familiar. I've followed the wild horse situation in AZ over the past year to two, and some of the people on those FB groups are beyond rational. Liberal use of the term Holocaust (including photos of concentration camps) in reference to the wild horse plight because it's all part of a plot, if a wild horse dies of natural causes - then there's clearly a serial horse killer on the loose (and it's all part of a plot), talking among themselves of signing up for shifts to literally "stand guard" over these wild horses 24/7 (because the horses are being plotted against, evil foes lurking in the bushes to take them out one by one). These guys make the Chromies look like amateurs.

These kind of "fans" are a problem because they tend to see things in black and white, are excessively emotional with an unhealthy attachment and false sense of ownership, and are very vocal when things don't go as they think they should (and their ideas are generally based in a complete and utter lack of knowledge). They don't discuss. If you're not in 100% complete agreement with them, you're the enemy and will be attacked - don't try to confuse them with the facts.
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
Sheepish

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Some of the fans are just so creepy, like the people who "talk" to Zenyatta on her site and call themselves her foals "aunts." The fans who constantly cry over the horrible decisions owners make, all motivated by greed of course. CC has those in abundance, the people who say he needs to retire because he's "done enough" and he's worth twice what American Pharoah is, and isn't that horse horrible anyway for trying to take the spotlight off CC...
CoronadosQuest

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Chrome's lil sister, Hope's Love, is also entered to run on Saturday in a MSW at Golden Gate. Race #8
Admin

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Somnambulist wrote:How is the Classic a toss? He ran a great race there, he just wasn't good enough. But the race itself was great and so was his race against Shared Belief.

It's a shame that TM didn't force the hand on switching barns for this horse, IMO.
Minority owner.... don't think they can force anything.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:59 am

Taylor Made launches new official California Chrome site:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... hrome-site

Taking smart advantage of the HORSE's popularity.