California Chrome

Insane Crazy

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:There is a video up on the America's Best Racing Facebook page. It shows Chrome getting his bath after the Pegasus and clearly shows the horse favoring his right leg. The right knee does look enlarged. Chrome can put weight on it, but keeps shifting his weight to his left front and hold the right leg kind of out to the side. Also, when Raul reaches down to wipe the right front, Chrome immediately holds it up and shows evidence of pain. There is also a sweet moment when Alan's toddler grandson wants to pet Chrome and does. Heartbreaking, but at least it doesn't appear to be an extremely serious injury. I'm sure they will know more in the morning.

Scroll about two-thirds down the page.
https://www.facebook.com/AmericasBestRa ... S_TIMELINE
I don't see him favoring it at all, honestly. He stands like a horse stands when they're getting a bath, shifting around every so often. He also appears to walk off just fine.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:There is a video up on the America's Best Racing Facebook page. It shows Chrome getting his bath after the Pegasus and clearly shows the horse favoring his right leg. The right knee does look enlarged. Chrome can put weight on it, but keeps shifting his weight to his left front and hold the right leg kind of out to the side. Also, when Raul reaches down to wipe the right front, Chrome immediately holds it up and shows evidence of pain. There is also a sweet moment when Alan's toddler grandson wants to pet Chrome and does. Heartbreaking, but at least it doesn't appear to be an extremely serious injury. I'm sure they will know more in the morning.

I don't see him favoring it at all, honestly. He stands like a horse stands when they're getting a bath, shifting around every so often. He also appears to walk off just fine.
He is favoring it by continually shifting his weight to his left front. Then when Raul tries to wipe that leg, Chrome immediately reacts by pulling that leg up and away from Raul. None of that is normal for this horse. The right knee is also noticeably larger than the left. And toward the end of the video you can see Frank Taylor come over and ask for the horse to be walked around. You are right that Chrome does not appear to limp. They should have more answers in the morning when the knee is xrayed again. He is scheduled to be flown to Kentucky in the morning, so the xrays will have to be taken early if they intend to keep that schedule.
Northport

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:54 pm

You may be reading into the video a bit too much, considering only a handful of people know what is 'normal for the horse'. He may be injured, but if you've ever given a Thoroughbred a bath after a workout or race, you know that all 4 feet are not going to stay on the ground the entire time.
weeeeeeeee
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:14 am

Northport wrote:You may be reading into the video a bit too much, considering only a handful of people know what is 'normal for the horse'. He may be injured, but if you've ever given a Thoroughbred a bath after a workout or race, you know that all 4 feet are not going to stay on the ground the entire time.
In my younger years, I used to rub horses for a stud farm in Ocala called Early Bird Stud (it doesn't exist anymore, sadly). So I know what it is to bathe a horse. Also, I have hung on every bit of news, every video and photo of Chrome almost from the beginning, so I do have good idea of what is normal for him at bath time. But don't take my word for it. Listen to what Art said about Chrome "pointing his knee" in this TVG interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tITDa88tjE

And here is a video of a typical bath for Chrome. It's from a couple of years ago, but is the latest I could find in a hurry: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ch-13-2015 Notice he doesn't fidget much, stands square on his front feet, and doesn't pull any leg away from Raul as he did during the post-Pegasus bath.
Insane Crazy

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:20 am

I just can't read that much from the video, I guess. I also don't think his knee looks especially large -- it's an awkward angle because of the way the joint meets there, but it looks relatively standard to me. I spend all day with OTTBs and nothing about this would alarm me with a horse I knew or didn't know.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Horsebagger

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:04 am

I'm not seeing anything. Certainly isn't pointing during the bath. And if you can detect filling in a knee from that distance and determine he's lame when he doesn't limp a single step that I saw, then you should submit your resume to replace Dr. Bramlage asap.

I'd be surprise if that horse misses a single day of covering mares next month.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:23 am

Horsebagger wrote:

I'm not seeing anything. Certainly isn't pointing during the bath. And if you can detect filling in a knee from that distance and determine he's lame when he doesn't limp a single step that I saw, then you should submit your resume to replace Dr. Bramlage asap.

No, horsebagger, I didn't say he was lame in that bath video, nor did I say I could detect a filling, but only that the right knee looks larger than the left one. And I accept it if others don't agree with what I believe the video shows. This is why I added the interview with Art and the older bath video so folks can compare if they wish. I will only point out that near the end of today's bath video Frank Taylor walks over in front of Chrome, looks at his legs and asks for the horse to be walked. The video ends just about at that point. Frank saw something too.
Dusty

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

No, horsebagger, I didn't say he was lame in that bath video, nor did I say I could detect a filling, but only that the right knee looks larger than the left one. And I accept it if others don't agree with what I believe the video shows. This is why I added the interview with Art and the older bath video so folks can compare if they wish. I will only point out that near the end of today's bath video Frank Taylor walks over in front of Chrome, looks at his legs and asks for the horse to be walked. The video ends just about at that point. Frank saw something too.
Not seeing that either - but he sure was not himself today
May they run with the WIND
Izvestia

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:56 am

Maybe that 58 and change work did him in? Gulfstream seems to ruin a lot of Pletcher's horses.
Private Thoughts

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:16 am

Will be shipping out to Kentucky around 9 am this morning per the BloodHorse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... tucky-trip
Izvestia

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 am

So, was he injured?
Treve

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

Izvestia wrote:So, was he injured?
Not enough to prevent him being flown to Kentucky but I assume we won't get more info until he's examined by the vet there.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:56 am

https://twitter.com/SkimTheRail/status/ ... 7246169089

Him boarding the van to leave FL

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Following
More
Time to leave. Thanks for the memories Chrome
Retrospectiv

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 am

I'm just amazed he stayed sound all this time.
You can see those front legs and knees even in the wraps. No, it's not the dirt path he's standing in....he stands like that ALL the time. Pavement, grass....
He's horribly offset in his knees and splay footed.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Northport

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 pm

I mean, he didn't really stay sound all this time. He missed almost all of 2015 to bone bruising.
weeeeeeeee
Retrospectiv

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Treve wrote:
Not enough to prevent him being flown to Kentucky but I assume we won't get more info until he's examined by the vet there.
And not enough to keep him from starting to test breed mares Wednesday....

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/34929
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Northport wrote:I mean, he didn't really stay sound all this time. He missed almost all of 2015 to bone bruising.

Yes, true enough, eh?
Charlie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 pm

All I've heard was that he cooled off uncomfortably and had fluid in his knee. Fluid doesn't randomly appear in joints for no reason. So something was going wrong and was probably hurting while running, because that is hard on joints, but nothing bad enough to stop his regular life it seems.
Izvestia

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:I'm just amazed he stayed sound all this time.
You can see those front legs and knees even in the wraps. No, it's not the dirt path he's standing in....he stands like that ALL the time. Pavement, grass....
He's horribly offset in his knees and splay footed.
I remember a video of Chrome at 3 walking straight towards the camera and remember thinking he walked like a duck. He's terrible up front. They are lying when they say otherwise.

Conformation really doesn't mean anything in a racehorse. I own an OTTB that retired sound after 76 starts and he is offset, pigeon-toed, and longgggggggg in the back.
Squeaky

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Any word on if Chromie has arrived in Kentucky yet and settled into his new home? Hope they take care of his knee. Thanks