Meanest Stallions in History

Ballerina

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:59 am

serenassong

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Ah, that great Dynaformer pic, the look in his eyes is all you need to know about him.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Ballerina

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:42 pm

serenassong wrote:
Ah, that great Dynaformer pic, the look in his eyes is all you need to know about him.
I once fed him a peppermint, and he took it like a real gentleman. Look at this photo of him. Is that the face and the attitude of a meany?!~ LOL!

John Henry was no day at the beach, but he wasn't Dyno nasty.
Curtis

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Corslew
ElPrado2

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 pm

I worked at one farm where the stall next to my horse was occupied by an Appaloosa stud that tried to climb over the side of his stall at me every time I went in my horse's stall. He did NOT want any human within 20 yards of him. He was a real bad actor. He eventually almost killed the owner's daughter when she tried to feed him. There was a small door in the wall over his feed tub that they would open to scoop feed into the tub. He grabbed her arm and tried to pull her in with him. She was in surgery 4 hours for the damage to her arm.
Rick1323

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Unless they are extremely valuable as stallions, I don't understand why more are not simply put down. No one would stand for a dog with such bad temperament, why bother with a horse that could kill someone? As much as John Henry was loved, seriously, why bother with a miserable gelding like that?
Everyone come home sound.....
Prairie Bayou

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:50 pm

There are some geldings that are not nice. I know of one BC winner who wasn't very friendly. I don't know if he's mellowed but he has seemed to since retiring. Smarty Jones is known to be quite nasty according to the people at the farm. He is adored by many and has an adorable face but he can be quite a bad dude when he wants to be.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Admin

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:57 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:I worked at one farm where the stall next to my horse was occupied by an Appaloosa stud that tried to climb over the side of his stall at me every time I went in my horse's stall. He did NOT want any human within 20 yards of him. He was a real bad actor. He eventually almost killed the owner's daughter when she tried to feed him. There was a small door in the wall over his feed tub that they would open to scoop feed into the tub. He grabbed her arm and tried to pull her in with him. She was in surgery 4 hours for the damage to her arm.

I can't imagine any Appaloosa stud being worth enough to put up with that. Geld him and see if that helps, then either find him another home or put him down.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Rick1323

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Admin wrote:

I can't imagine any Appaloosa stud being worth enough to put up with that. Geld him and see if that helps, then either find him another home or put him down.
I have always found it strange that thousands of healthy horses are sent to slaughter every year, and yet I have read about dozens and dozens of horses who were beyond mean to the point of being dangerous. I never found it funny that John Henry mangeled the fingers of his groom.....
Everyone come home sound.....
katmandu

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Gelding might not only help the horse due to the chemical change (although old "habits" die hard), but equally important, he might even get to live like a horse, a social animal, instead of in isolation. Obviously the big breeding establishments get their horses out, but I've seen stallions confined to stalls, literally living in solitary confinement. Not good.

I sometimes wonder how physically comfortable some of those retired racehorses are, chronic pain can make you pretty cranky and can add more fuel to the fire.
ElPrado2

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 pm

He was pretty. Coloring up into a tri color leopard. He just had the disposition of a rabid weasel. They did manage to get him broke, but that was a circus act if there ever was one. He liked to pretend to be the Lone Ranger's horse Silver. I think he was trying to moonwalk. They didn't need a horse whisperer, they needed a horse shouter.
Tessablue

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Aw I miss being Spinning World, it added a bit of menace to every post.

I vaguely remember seeing him (in his stall of course) more than ten years ago, I can't remember what the groom said but it was definitely along the lines of "that is the most dangerous horse alive." Pretty scary.

Don't really have any other stories- Will's Way is a bit of a snake, but nothing outside of the norm and they'll still let you pet him so long as you know what you're doing.
BlindLucky

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Seeking the Gold is on that list for good reason, too. He looks sweet, but get within lunging distance and his favorite game is "see if I can catch some skin along with that clothing".

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
General Assembly

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:23 am

From what I remember from some grooms at Claiborne, Seeking The Gold got his temperament from his dam. Con Game.
Starine

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 am

I did some searching and found an old Chronicle of the Horse thread. Various posters wrote:
There was a stallion at Windfields in Canada named Menetrier. Legend says that when he was brought out of his stall to breed, a man followed with a gun. If Menetrier got loose, the man was ordered to shot him on sight.
Year's ago we saw Foolish Pleasure when he was at stud. We were also warned to stay well back from the fence as he was known for being vicious and had hurt several people badly we were told.
I witnessed Gulch tear the sleeve of a coat off of a hotwalker one morning
I remember when Tactical Cat went off to stud. Now I actually wouldn't classify him as mean, just really really annoying to deal with. And considering his mother was exactly the same, it was a family trait. Anyway, TC went to the farm in January. Upon arrival he decided not to cooperate with people so they decided a bit of hardship was needed. He got chucked out in the field to freeze his you know what's off. He decided to play ball after that. The nicest and easiest gallop ever was TC, but I had to go to and from the track with a pony and a person on the off side. You couldn't just go with the pony because he knew how to rear up so he could knock the pony rider and then would drop his shoulder and slam you to the ground. Not pleasant!
Johar, standing for stud at Mill Ridge, is a jerk to deal with. He lives 24/7 in a muzzle.
Don't know if any of it is true but I thought it was interesting and maybe people here could verify.
BlindLucky

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 am

I'd say Gulch must have mellowed in his old age, because he's in the front paddock at Old Friends and you can pet him, shove carrots in his face, and he is a gentleman :)

But I did hear that same thing about Johar. HRTV did a segment on him (I think on Inside Information), and they did everything with him in a muzzle.
Last edited by BlindLucky on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
middleground

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am

I was raised on the assumption that War Relic was mean as a snake. Well before even my time, so have no personal knowledge....
Curtis

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm

I had always heard about Foolish Pleasure's disposition. If I remember right he ended up in somewhere like Montana and was only pasture bred. Foolish Pleasure had a son named Marfa who won the Santa Anita Derby in 1983, I believe. I always heard that Marfa had inherited every bit of his sire's nastiness if not more.
Curtis

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Rick1323 wrote:Unless they are extremely valuable as stallions, I don't understand why more are not simply put down. No one would stand for a dog with such bad temperament, why bother with a horse that could kill someone? As much as John Henry was loved, seriously, why bother with a miserable gelding like that?
The stallion I mentioned earlier, Corslew, was put down because of an incident. If you do a search on him there is quite a bit about it.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I must mention Silver Ghost at Lane's End. The groom told us a story of the time he was leading a group and a lady climbed up the fence to take a photo of him. He noticed her and ripped across the field. The manager was able to get her to get off the fence just in time. He is no longer there. After his breeding career they shipped him off somewhere. Not sure where to.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic