Secretariet/ American Pharoah Split Screen Belmont

Macaroni

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah, this was posted in another thread, but with only the 2015 call on audio. Very cool!
Hoist The Flag

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Hoist the Flag was the best horse I ever rode, by far... It wasn't Seattle Slew.
Jean Cruguet
Macaroni

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 pm

It's cool watching their strides compared to one another - Secretariat looks like he's moving SO FAST (which he was) and AP looks like he's, in comparison, moving sooooo slowly, just cantering around back there, but he's actually putting in decent fractions. I wonder if this has been done with the other TC winners vs Secretariat.

(While this is a cool video, though, I do wish people would stop comparing AP to Secretariat. It's just unnecessary and makes no sense - you can't compare S to anyone, period. And just because a horse isn't S, doesn't mean he isn't fantastic. That whole "but he's not Secretariat..." mindset drives me NUTS)
canvasjockey

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Macaroni wrote:It's cool watching their strides compared to one another - Secretariat looks like he's moving SO FAST (which he was) and AP looks like he's, in comparison, moving sooooo slowly, just cantering around back there, but he's actually putting in decent fractions. I wonder if this has been done with the other TC winners vs Secretariat.

(While this is a cool video, though, I do wish people would stop comparing AP to Secretariat. It's just unnecessary and makes no sense - you can't compare S to anyone, period. And just because a horse isn't S, doesn't mean he isn't fantastic. That whole "but he's not Secretariat..." mindset drives me NUTS)
Agreed. I haven't seen anyone call him equal to or better than Secretariat (though I'm sure there are a few fringe loonies that are, but then they're also the ones that probably believe the Onion article's story about Zayat setting AP free in the wilderness :P ).

I loved one of the comments I saw on the WSJ split screen video - something to the effect of "Finally... video proof that 2:24 is faster than 2:26!!"... lol.
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
Sham

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:21 pm

This is almost certainly the dumbest thing I've seen any media outlet putting their time into for the TC reporting. No shish AP isn't Secretariat. No horse ever has been on the teletimer.

But what if they did this with AP versus Seattle Slew? "OMG Slew is so slow! What a nag!" Oy.
Soto, Suni, Sham, whichever.
Apollo

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:11 pm

This was guaranteed to happen. I mentioned it prior to the Belmont, that Secretariat fans are comically defensive. They were certain to desperately deflect any threat of comparison to their hero, even if nobody was making it.

I'd love to see a convention of Secretariat fans alongside Tiger Woods fans. That would be classic, and the only two groups who could relate to each other. One side could relentlessly argue why 14 is actually superior to 18, while the other could strain that Preakness time closer to 1:50 and the Belmont margin closer to 41.

Pillows everywhere. I'm certain there is some crossover.
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Sham wrote:This is almost certainly the dumbest thing I've seen any media outlet putting their time into for the TC reporting. No shish AP isn't Secretariat. No horse ever has been on the teletimer.

But what if they did this with AP versus Seattle Slew? "OMG Slew is so slow! What a nag!" Oy.
Of course not because according to the Secretariat fandom, horses ONLY can compare to Secretariat. Anything less than him is far inferior and not worth wasted oxygen.
gravano

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Sham wrote:This is almost certainly the dumbest thing I've seen any media outlet putting their time into for the TC reporting. No shish AP isn't Secretariat. No horse ever has been on the teletimer.

I can think of far worse TC reporting. The fact that a horse gets a split screen to genuinely compare against Secretariet means he's in pretty good company. There are a lot of different things to notice in the videos beyond the timer. What American Pharoah did by winning the Triple Crown was earn passage into a very elite conversation.
dustino140

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:42 pm

It's annoying. I turned on TV Sunday morning and heard "yea, he's good but he's not Secretariat." Who cares? I'd bet American Pharoah is the 'cleaner' of the two horses, even with Baffert at the helm, anyway.
gravano

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:53 pm

I would bet he's not the cleaner of the two.
a Flying Brick

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Apollo wrote:This was guaranteed to happen. I mentioned it prior to the Belmont, that Secretariat fans are comically defensive. They were certain to desperately deflect any threat of comparison to their hero, even if nobody was making it.

I'd love to see a convention of Secretariat fans alongside Tiger Woods fans. That would be classic, and the only two groups who could relate to each other. One side could relentlessly argue why 14 is actually superior to 18, while the other could strain that Preakness time closer to 1:50 and the Belmont margin closer to 41.

Pillows everywhere. I'm certain there is some crossover.
I don't think Secretariat fans are defensive. He's got the fractions. He holds the records. What exactly have we got to be defensive about? Until a horse does the Derby in under 1:59 2/5 we're good. Until a horse can run 1:53 or even 1:53 2/5 (which there was no defensiveness for years in having to share with Curlin and Louie) in the Preakness - sittin pretty, and until you can find a horse to surpass World Record time of 2:24 ... not sure why a Secretariat fan would have to provide a defense. AP against any of the other TC winners ... maybe. There are only two others that you can truthfully analyze, the rest were so beyond our time, it's hard to know except for accounts of what happened. You'll be in your 80's and people will still be comparing horses to Big Red. So where's the being defensive? If anything I think it's a reverse defensiveness, cause that's all people have been talking about is Secretariat v. AP. I think rather than comparing AP to ANY of the TC winners, you should be comparing him to past winners of the races in general. Oh boy, would that open a can a worms. We could start with the Derby ... if you dare ....

http://www.usracing.com/kentucky-derby/winners
Last edited by a Flying Brick on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a Flying Brick

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Furthermore, you are comparing a golfer that was great at one time, and continued to golf perhaps past his prime. Secretariat continued to race for a time and did well and then retired .... so I'm not getting this comparison at all.
dustino140

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:12 pm

gravano wrote:I would bet he's not the cleaner of the two.
That's your prerogative.
a Flying Brick

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:20 pm

dustino140 wrote:
gravano wrote:I would bet he's not the cleaner of the two.
That's your prerogative.
not sure ... what is meant by "cleaner of the two"?
katmandu

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:52 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:not sure ... what is meant by "cleaner of the two"?
Haven't you noticed all the coverage of Pharoah getting a bath????
Della

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:59 pm

katmandu wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:45 pm

It's unfair to compare him to Secretariat (duh), it would be unfair to compare any horse to Secretariat. I would have appreciated it much more if they would have done a 4 split screen with the last 3 TC winner as comparison.
Macaroni

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Kurenai wrote:It's unfair to compare him to Secretariat (duh), it would be unfair to compare any horse to Secretariat. I would have appreciated it much more if they would have done a 4 split screen with the last 3 TC winner as comparison.
I personally would have LOVED a split screen of AP and Seattle Slew - SS is the one some people have been comparing AP to for a while now anyway, seems fitting.
a Flying Brick

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:34 pm

katmandu wrote:
I just wanted to confirm is all. My DEF is drugs.