Taking Shergar

User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5005
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... hergar-838

What a handsome and talented horse he was.

I always thought the story of him becoming unmanageable and that necessitating his execution seemed strange because I have only heard remarkable things about his uncommonly gentle temperament from Richard Stone Reeves among others.
sweettalk
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

i heard a theory that he wasn't killed, just sold off somewhere that they wouldn't be looking for him. a nice theory as it implies he didn't die (or wasn't machine gunned to death at least), but what the theory didn't cover was what he'd be doing after being sold/bought. i don't even remember where i saw it.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm

I just know that even after all these years I still hate the people who did this, unknown though they might be. I hope there really is an afterlife where there really is justice, because far too often there is no justice in this world.
barbaro111
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:I just know that even after all these years I still hate the people who did this, unknown though they might be. I hope there really is an afterlife where there really is justice, because far too often there is no justice in this world.

I heard about this horrible story but never knew the details. I am unable to read the Bloodhorse article because I it is too horrific and I started almost sobbing---he was so beautiful and talented---I hope those who perpitrated this monstrous act had a miserable horrible life and suffered an agonising death
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:17 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:I just know that even after all these years I still hate the people who did this, unknown though they might be. I hope there really is an afterlife where there really is justice, because far too often there is no justice in this world.

I heard about this horrible story but never knew the details. I am unable to read the Bloodhorse article because I it is too horrific and I started almost sobbing---he was so beautiful and talented---I hope those who perpitrated this monstrous act had a miserable horrible life and suffered an agonising death
This is terrible. Why would you ever wish that on someone?

Sanity is becoming..
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10591
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:35 am

She's not alone...anyone who did what most experts believe was done to this beautiful stallion deserves more curses than I feel like typing.
I hate humans...just in case you were wondering. :evil:
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:56 am

Somnambulist wrote:
barbaro111 wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:I just know that even after all these years I still hate the people who did this, unknown though they might be. I hope there really is an afterlife where there really is justice, because far too often there is no justice in this world.

I heard about this horrible story but never knew the details. I am unable to read the Bloodhorse article because I it is too horrific and I started almost sobbing---he was so beautiful and talented---I hope those who perpitrated this monstrous act had a miserable horrible life and suffered an agonising death
This is terrible. Why would you ever wish that on someone?

Sanity is becoming..
Somnambulist, you are a most frustrating person. Always the scolding contrarian, which is tolerable for ordinary discussions, but this is no ordinary discussion. What the people who stole Shergar did to him is indeed monstrous and deserving of severe punishment. Since it isn't going to happen in this life, all we are left with is hoping it happens in the next, if there is a next life. There is absolutely NOTHING insane about barbaro111's point of view in this regard. In fact, it is far more natural, civilizing and honest than the simpering politically correct nonsense that is so pervasive in our society these days.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5005
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Hoping some of our European posters will chime in...
luvthesales
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
This is terrible. Why would you ever wish that on someone?

Sanity is becoming..
For what it's worth, I'm with you. I'm all for justice, in this life or the next. But I find such wishes unbecoming, even if I understand the sentiment.

I'm probably just a softie, though.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 pm

luvthesales wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
This is terrible. Why would you ever wish that on someone?

Sanity is becoming..
For what it's worth, I'm with you. I'm all for justice, in this life or the next. But I find such wishes unbecoming, even if I understand the sentiment.

I'm probably just a softie, though.
So you're a softie for people who steal innocent animals and cruelly slaughter them to make some weird political point and to try to extort money from the animal's owners?
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
luvthesales wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
This is terrible. Why would you ever wish that on someone?

Sanity is becoming..
For what it's worth, I'm with you. I'm all for justice, in this life or the next. But I find such wishes unbecoming, even if I understand the sentiment.

I'm probably just a softie, though.
So you're a softie for people who steal innocent animals and cruelly slaughter them to make some weird political point and to try to extort money from the animal's owners?
I think your complicating and misinterpreting the point. What they're saying, I believe, is that two wrongs don't make a right.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Curtis wrote:[I think your complicating and misinterpreting the point. What they're saying, I believe, is that two wrongs don't make a right.
Horse puckey!!!! What "two wrongs" are you referring to, Curtis? Hmmmm? Are you seriously equating what barbaro111 wrote above with what the scum who stole Shergar did? Or are you going to backpedal and say I'm "complicating and misinterpreting" your point as well?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wishing that at least some pain be visited upon those who commit evil acts. Isn't that what the concept of Hell is all about? All too often (as in the Shergar case) justice is not found in this life, so human beings have long hoped it might be found in an afterlife. "For it is written, vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." Do you think the vengeance in that Bible verse refers to a slap on the wrist?
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 pm

It's amazing how people get so worked up about things they read online.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 pm

dustino140 wrote:It's amazing how people get so worked up about things they read online.
Dustino, in this particular instance, it isn't about something read online. It's about matters as old as humankind, and that have stirred human passions ever since human beings began to understand the concepts of right and wrong.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
dustino140 wrote:It's amazing how people get so worked up about things they read online.
Dustino, in this particular instance, it isn't about something read online. It's about matters as old as humankind, and that have stirred human passions ever since human beings began to understand the concepts of right and wrong.
Sure it is.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 5005
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:06 am

Dang. I was kind of hoping we could talk more about Shergar and his disappearance, and less about matters as old as humankind.
User avatar
Kurenai
Site Admin
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 am

I'm from Europe and can't add much to the discussion. I, too, believe that he was gunned down. Until his remains are found nobody will ever know. I still have hope that some day they will find them. But the chances are slim of that happening.

I never got why they had to kill him (unless he maybe was so freaked out he broke a leg in an accident, which is what I believe). They could have just turned him lose, at least he would have had a chance, once they realized they weren't getting any money. There was no point to kill him at all. It's not like they said "you didn't pay us now see what happens" which is what terrorists usually do.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:22 am

Starine wrote:Dang. I was kind of hoping we could talk more about Shergar and his disappearance, and less about matters as old as humankind.
We have been talking about Shergar. Only some people are too busy hand-wringing over tough talk about Shergar's killers to realize it.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:27 am

This keeps getting better and better.
Admin
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't see it as horrible to have ill wishes towards people who abused an animal. I'm still wondering how some people can pull for a football player who abused dogs.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Post Reply