Taking Shergar

Della

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Admin wrote:I don't see it as horrible to have ill wishes towards people who abused an animal. I'm still wondering how some people can pull for a football player who abused dogs.

Totally agree with you, V. on this.
dustino140

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Admin wrote:I'm still wondering how some people can pull for a football player who abused dogs.
I like that you're making it a point to bring football into more of your posts, even where it doesn't fit.
katmandu

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Admin wrote:I don't see it as horrible to have ill wishes towards people who abused an animal. I'm still wondering how some people can pull for a football player who abused dogs.
I think the point is more nuanced than whether or not animal abusers are or are not reprehensible. Although I personally think "the point" is utterly ignoreable.
Admin

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:19 pm

katmandu wrote:I think the point is more nuanced than whether or not animal abusers are or are not reprehensible. Although I personally think "the point" is utterly ignoreable.
I'd agree with the latter, but it wasn't, so I felt like lending my defense.

So there are people still alive who should know what really happened? No one will confirm the accounting from the book (which I gather is the only way anyone knows of him being supposedly shot)? Maybe we'll get another deathbed confession like we did with Phar Lap.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
dustino140

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

I have always wondered why people want to take a secret 'with them.' Granted, I just like to know things in general, so it bugs me if they choose to do that!
pointgivenfan

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: There is absolutely nothing wrong with wishing that at least some pain be visited upon those who commit evil acts. Isn't that what the concept of Hell is all about? All too often (as in the Shergar case) justice is not found in this life, so human beings have long hoped it might be found in an afterlife. "For it is written, vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." Do you think the vengeance in that Bible verse refers to a slap on the wrist?
If we're going to drag theology into this, let's at least do it properly.

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. “But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

- Romans 12:17-21

Context is everything.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Catalina

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:51 pm

dustino140 wrote:I have always wondered why people want to take a secret 'with them.' Granted, I just like to know things in general, so it bugs me if they choose to do that!
Probably because - if they're just in the know - they don't want to implicate the actual perp, or - if they themselves were part of it - because they're afraid that just maybe medical science can pull them through after all, and then what? Or, because they don't want their offspring and loved ones to loathe them.
dustino140

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Catalina wrote:
dustino140 wrote:I have always wondered why people want to take a secret 'with them.' Granted, I just like to know things in general, so it bugs me if they choose to do that!
Probably because - if they're just in the know - they don't want to implicate the actual perp, or - if they themselves were part of it - because they're afraid that just maybe medical science can pull them through after all, and then what? Or, because they don't want their offspring and loved ones to loathe them.
Yawn. That's less than fun.
luvthesales

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: So you're a softie for people who steal innocent animals and cruelly slaughter them to make some weird political point and to try to extort money from the animal's owners?
Nope, that was just me amusing myself. I have many times been called anything but a softie, even *gasp* on this forum.

Not your fault for missing the inside joke.