Percentage of Backstretch workers in US illegally

stark

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:27 am

All's I know from witnessing with my own eyes is that when the federales showed up in the Del Mar parking lot in their green immigration vans early one morning, there was a lot of scurrying on the backside, folks running in every possible direction.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:24 am

It seems clear that most of the backside workers in California have roots south of the border, but is that also true in New York? What about barns in Kentucky? Or at Emerald Downs?
Somnambulist

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:28 pm

President Trump? If that happens this nation is dumber than I give it credit for.
dustino140

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Somnambulist wrote:President Trump? If that happens this nation is dumber than I give it credit for.
Because President Sanders or President (Girl) Clinton exudes intelligence from the people.
stark

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:37 pm

I don't think much has changed in the past 30 years since this headline was written in the LA Times....

August 24, 1985
Del Mar Cancels Races Today After INS Sweep : More Than 100 Illegal Alien Workers at Track Rounded Up by Immigration Agents

Martin Panza, spokesman for the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, which conducts the 43-day thoroughbred meet at the track, said the decision to scratch today's card was made after trainers entered only 10 horses. Nine races had been scheduled, and a minimum of six horses per race is needed.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-08-24/ ... -mar-track
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
luvthesales

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It seems clear that most of the backside workers in California have roots south of the border, but is that also true in New York? What about barns in Kentucky? Or at Emerald Downs?
It's a transient lifestyle, and they ship from place to place. I cannot speak for NY or EmD, but I would venture to guess that there is a very high population of Hispanics, just as there is in KY.

As for how they get licenses, that varies. Years ago, it was a little bit easier to get a *real* Social Security card even if you weren't legal. I knew someone who had been able to get one that way. These days, the Mexicans have a very good network for getting each other fake paperwork. You pay the right person, and *poof* you have paperwork in your name.

Contrary to popular belief after the PETA video, American trainers aren't getting fake stuff for their employees. In the first place, they don't have to. There's already a network, and it's Spanish-speaking. In the second place, very few illegal immigrants would turn to or trust an American to do that for them.
Life At Zen

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:00 pm

dustino140 wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:President Trump? If that happens this nation is dumber than I give it credit for.
Because President Sanders or President (Girl) Clinton exudes intelligence from the people.
Compared to Trump, yes.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:42 am

Life At Zen wrote:
Compared to Trump, yes.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." --Einstein

So maybe it's not all that dumb to look at the non-politician.

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Catalina

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:04 am

Admin wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
Compared to Trump, yes.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." --Einstein

Gotham City deserves better than the Joker.
dustino140

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:13 am

Life At Zen wrote:
dustino140 wrote:
Compared to Trump, yes.
No way. Bernie would be an absolute disaster. If he's elected, I may be your neighbor.
Treve

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:42 am

A Trump presidency wouldn't be boring that's for sure. But he's as much a politician as the others - a showman, relying primarily on charisma. It's just that his approach to showmanship and his style is unorthodox- but it doesn't make it any less calculated or 'politician-like'. At least Sanders is consistent... Maybe a little too much if you consider he's been saying the same things for 30, 40 years- I suppose at least you know he's not saying things to be 'trendy'. Trump changes his mind and contradicts himself almost as much as Hillary (who's a transparent, flip-flopping joke at this point)- and I've got to wonder if there's any truth to the theories about them being in league with one an other.
But I'm Canadian so I've got no dog in this fight, honestly I pity you lot, you're not exactly teeming with great options. But it sure makes for great entertainment.

I believe a fair bit of track workers are illegal - probably as many if not more than the amount of grooms and stablehands in the big fancy A-rated show circuits and barns around the US. I do know of some Hunter/Jumper trainers who will not hire illegals if they can help it, while others will go out of their way to help them gain legal status. Not sure if there's that much variability in the racing industry which is why I would think there would be even more of them at the track?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Insane Crazy

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:47 am

Admin wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
Compared to Trump, yes.

It's not dumb to look at a non-politician. But you should probably look at the person that non-politician is. Yikes.

I wanna move to Canada regardless, so I'll be outta this joint regardless of whether we go with the idiot businessman or the shady politician. ;) Too bad the racing industry is so fractured up north.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:49 am

Sanders is not consistent with anything he says. It is well documented. They all flip flop, because they all suck. It's like picking what would you rather have - herpes, the clap, crabs, or HPV. They're all atrocious candidates. It's sad for us.

Working with horses pays nothing... at all. I love horses and would love working with them but I'm not making jack shit for the rest of my life for incredibly hard work. I'm sure most Americans agree with me. Everyone my age graduates college with a mortgage payment.
Treve

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 am

Insane Crazy wrote: I wanna move to Canada regardless, so I'll be outta this joint regardless of whether we go with the idiot businessman or the shady politician. ;) Too bad the racing industry is so fractured up north.
My family has a long tradition of welcoming American political refugees. If you need a crash pad hmu :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Insane Crazy

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Treve wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: I wanna move to Canada regardless, so I'll be outta this joint regardless of whether we go with the idiot businessman or the shady politician. ;) Too bad the racing industry is so fractured up north.
My family has a long tradition of welcoming American political refugees. If you need a crash pad hmu :lol:
Awww, yiss. Know anyone who wants to get in a paper-only marriage for permanent residency purposes? :D

Will just add to the actual topic (sorry UR) -- I agree with Som. Working with horses pays poorly, and I'm betting most Americans who are willing to take that in exchange for horse time are probably already doing it. I think the crazier idea here is that you could convince trainers/managers/etc. to all uniformly pay a reasonable wage. For better or worse, I feel like they're happy paying what they do now and have no desire to change. =/
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Treve

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: Awww, yiss. Know anyone who wants to get in a paper-only marriage for permanent residency purposes? :D

Will just add to the actual topic (sorry UR) -- I agree with Som. Working with horses pays poorly, and I'm betting most Americans who are willing to take that in exchange for horse time are probably already doing it. I think the crazier idea here is that you could convince trainers/managers/etc. to all uniformly pay a reasonable wage. For better or worse, I feel like they're happy paying what they do now and have no desire to change. =/
I know a bunch of hippies and lefties I'm sure we could find you one of either gender.

I'll third Som's words, there isn't much money in horses in any discipline for most of the jobs that these workers take up. Just think of 'working student' positions where people MAY get house and lodging and maybe board for their horse IF they're lucky, but more and more all they're offered are lessons with a top trainer in exchange for labour. That's fine when you're 16 and living on daddy's money but yeah... And if there's already not a ton of people willing to work with the show circuit, how many people do you think would want to work with ill-mannered, rank-tempered, hot blooded, ungelded youngsters? The risk factor vs compensation is just not worth it to most people, I'd venture.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...