Favorite Photos of Race Horses

User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm

I own a copy of that Prairie Bayou Mike Smith photo of Barbara's. It's framed with the Preakness program in my bedroom. One of my all time favorite photos ever.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4613
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm
I own a copy of that Prairie Bayou Mike Smith photo of Barbara's. It's framed with the Preakness program in my bedroom. One of my all time favorite photos ever.
https://twitter.com/drflivingston/statu ... 2471400448
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4613
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 pm

stark
Posts: 5086
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:57 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4613
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks for sharing that one. He's looking less like a boy and more like a man all the time.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10345
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Y'know, I've never found War Front to be an especially handsome stallion, but he sure throws some good-looking kids.
Maybe all his mares are gorgeous? :P :lol:
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 pm

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark
Posts: 5086
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:31 pm

https://twitter.com/DRFLivingston/statu ... 6149479430

Barbara Livingston
‏@DRFLivingston

WATER WHITE and @iradortiz during some up-time before Saratoga's 6th race, for 2-year-old fillies. WATER WHITE came back down without incident and ran fourth.

Image
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:15 pm

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

He's sure a handsome fellow! 8-)
RugbyGirl
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 am

Forgot to post this last week <ouch>
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxSamGuyon/ ... 3935350784
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
katmandu
Posts: 1168
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 pm

RugbyGirl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 am
Forgot to post this last week <ouch>
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxSamGuyon/ ... 3935350784
"It means it has the paint gene". . . gads, why did I read the comments? :shock:
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm

katmandu wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 pm
RugbyGirl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 am
Forgot to post this last week <ouch>
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxSamGuyon/ ... 3935350784
"It means it has the paint gene". . . gads, why did I read the comments? :shock:
Growing up my grandpa told me that there was a "wives's tale" of sorts (not sure what you'd call it, maybe stable tale?) that stated horses with wall eyes or eyes with whites more visible were prone to agression.

The stuff you hear.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 1176
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Mylute wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm
katmandu wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 pm
RugbyGirl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 am
Forgot to post this last week <ouch>
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxSamGuyon/ ... 3935350784
"It means it has the paint gene". . . gads, why did I read the comments? :shock:
Growing up my grandpa told me that there was a "wives's tale" of sorts (not sure what you'd call it, maybe stable tale?) that stated horses with wall eyes or eyes with whites more visible were prone to agression.

The stuff you hear.
The Canadian Champion and later California stallion, Kennedy Road had such an eye. He was Halo and Dynaformeresque. They should have named him Hannibal Lecter as it seems he was constantly muzzled at Old English Rancho and not because he ate his bedding.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Is it actually a wall eye or is it a horse in full flight with its head turned 90 degrees to the left?

Wall eyes are... bleh. I don't believe it makes a horse more violent, but the horses/ponies I've worked with that have had them were spooky and/or just a**holes to deal with. More than other horses? Probably not, but they definitely arent preferred. Especially if you want one as a hunter, but that's just for looks. I know top trainers in the US who won't even consider looking at a hunter if it has a wall eye.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 3171
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Northport wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 pm
Is it actually a wall eye or is it a horse in full flight with its head turned 90 degrees to the left?

Wall eyes are... bleh. I don't believe it makes a horse more violent, but the horses/ponies I've worked with that have had them were spooky and/or just a**holes to deal with. More than other horses? Probably not, but they definitely arent preferred. Especially if you want one as a hunter, but that's just for looks. I know top trainers in the US who won't even consider looking at a hunter if it has a wall eye.
I don't think that's a wall eye; I think he's just looking in a way that shows more of his eye white.

I expressed my wall eye anecdote to go along with the "aggression means paint gene" or whatever comment.

It would be interesting if a study was conducted on whether or not horses born with a facial structure that shows more "eye white" are more aggressive.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
katmandu
Posts: 1168
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm
It would be interesting if a study was conducted on whether or not horses born with a facial structure that shows more "eye white" are more aggressive.
You would have to find someone to fund it, lol. Easier to sell them a bridge.
User avatar
Charlie
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I remember reading an explanation for that is that horses with a lot of white in their eyes are "crazier" because their vision is different. Is that true, probably not but I always thought it was interesting how people justify ol' wives tales.

I always thought people said that just because they look crazy with the white showing, and it really did not affect anything. It just changes how people perceive the horse's behavior.
RugbyGirl
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:35 am

This is a iconic photo taken of champion standardbred Cardigan Bay winning as the evacuated grandstand is on fire behind him
addington.jpg
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Post Reply