Royal Delta has died

Summer Bird

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's all true.
I didn't intend to imply Coomore did anything wrong, but...but I guess with a mare as precious as RD, I would have taken every precautionary step.
Condolences to all her connections.
I definitely understand. Unfortunately it was a freak thing, and we unfortunately had to lose a great mare in Royal Delta.
barbaro111

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 pm

peeptoad wrote:Wow that's sad... RIP Royal Delta.

So shocking and heartbreaking---makes me feel profoundly sad
Admin

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:44 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Horrible news. :cry:
Bless the broodmares; being one may be the most dangerous job a TB can have.
She had a history of issues:
Retired in November of 2013, Royal Delta was sent to Ireland to be bred to Galileo during the 2014 breeding season, but she did not get in foal. Another attempt was made the following year, again to Galileo, and she aborted the foal. The same mating in 2016 resulted in the surviving bay filly of 2017.
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... plications
It bothers me that, knowing she had had problems, she wasn't at a clinic for foaling.
There are equine hospitals that specialize in foaling out mares who may have problems, with 24-7 on-site vet care, TV monitors and hospital equipment. Surely she deserved every option available to ensure a safe foaling? Maybe it wouldn't have mattered...or maybe it would have made the difference.
Dammit.
Actually, it's one of the safest jobs. Racing is by far the most dangerous. In fact, you can get your insurance rates down if your stock includes breeding stock or horses younger than 2 to bring down the overall risk of the group.

Sorry to hear of her passing. I'll always remember her for her meeting with Grace in the Beldame. I wish they'd raced again, but Grace headed to the Classic and Delta to the Distaff.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
WarBiscuit

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:33 pm

So sorry to hear this news about Royal Delta. She'll be missed dearly, but her achievements are safe in our memories. One of my favorite photos was of
Royal Delta and Bill Mott - her eyes closed and her head bowed down tight up against his chest. Pure sweetness, and that is how I'll remember her...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Oh no :( :( :(

I saw on Twitter that Barbara Livingston had a RD slideshow up, but I didn't see a RIP hashtag and didn't know that was why (I just got home).

So sad. :(

ETA: It was actually Joe Clancy, Barbara Livingston retweeted. https://twitter.com/joeclancy65/status/ ... 7722980354
Izvestia

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Her 2nd BC Distaff was such a dominating win, I will always remember the way she took over and won. I'm just so sad about this.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Heartbreaking. Thank goodness her foal is a filly and has survived, but this is so sad. My heartfelt condolences to all her human connections.
Natalma

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm

UGH. This brings back memories of when Banshee Breeze died from foaling complications. Another great mare lost way too soon, and Banshee's foal died, too. Rest in Peace, beautiful girl.
Somnambulist

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's all true.
I didn't intend to imply Coomore did anything wrong, but...but I guess with a mare as precious as RD, I would have taken every precautionary step.
Condolences to all her connections.
Kind of sounds like misattributed blame. Can't wrap them in bubbles sadly.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BlindLucky

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I've been so sad about this all day, and I didn't even know her. She was just one of my very favorites. She had such presence and grace.

I did get to see her first Distaff win and saw her a few days later at Keeneland with her dam and little sister, Crown Queen. I went back to look at those photos today...

Such beautiful mares, and so sad :(

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Kay16

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I've been so sad about this all day, and I didn't even know her. She was just one of my very favorites. She had such presence and grace.

I did get to see her first Distaff win and saw her a few days later at Keeneland with her dam and little sister, Crown Queen. I went back to look at those photos today...

Such beautiful mares, and so sad :(

She certainly always had a Queen like presence to her. In person they say it was even more prominent.
Ack Ack

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Natalma wrote:UGH. This brings back memories of when Banshee Breeze died from foaling complications. Another great mare lost way too soon, and Banshee's foal died, too. Rest in Peace, beautiful girl.
And Chilukki (her foal also died). Hard to believe that was 10 years ago, seems just like yesterday. So sad. :-(
Catalina

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Still stunned by the news of her death. RIP, pretty girl, you brought us so many memorable races.
Ziggypop

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Catalina wrote:Still stunned by the news of her death. RIP, pretty girl, you brought us so many memorable races.
I am too, still stunned by the news.