Breeders’ Cup News & Notes- 2018

luvsgeldings

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Mylute.... I agree with you. I also think it would be a shame if Collected got in to the field, and Toast of New York didn't. I like Toast of New York's chances much better.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Nick Luck @nickluck
1h1 hour ago
Thanks @osbornejamie for revealing on the @BreedersCup Periscope that Toast of New York will run in the Marathon on the BC undercard.
luvsgeldings

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Sparrow.... thanks for that info.
Starine

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Collected on Outside Looking in for BC Classic
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... bc-classic
Treve

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 pm

I had the info for the other races as well I’ll post them later when I get home from work. I saw somewhere someone mention this year has beaten the record for the largest number of pre entries previously held by the 2014 BC at Santa Anita.
The only races that didn’t fill were the BC juvenile fillies and the Distaff.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:25 am

Sprint
On the outside looking in is B Squared trained by O'Neill and whose 1st preference is the Turf Sprint

Dirt Mile
On the outside looking in...

Turf Sprint

Filly & Mare Sprint

It's worth noting that when post positions will be drawn only two horses will be listed as Also Eligible for a given race.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 am

And now the babies!

Juvenile
On the outside looking in is Derby Date trained by Lukas.

Juvenile Turf

Juvenile Fillies

Juvenile Fillies Turf

Juvenile Turf Sprint
Notes: this race attracted the largest amount of pre-entries, which I suppose for an introductory race is a resounding success, and if the goal was to attract more euros it certainly seems to have worked for this edition.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mylute

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 am

I find it interesting that the Juvy Turf Sprint isn't restricted by gender like the other juvy races are. Guess its because there's just one.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
Tessablue

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 am

It looks like a great race, too. With Instagrand out, Bulletin might be the most exciting 2yo on the card.
stark

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Jay Privman , Churchill Downs , 2018-10-25 - DRF Live Posted : 48 mins ago

Bravazo definite for Dirt Mile, will bypass Classic, per Lukas;
+ implications for Classic field
Bravazo worked five furlongs in 59.80 seconds this morning at Churchill Downs, after which his trainer, D. Wayne Lukas, told me by phone that he would definitely run in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile and not the Classic. Both races are Nov. 3 at Churchill Downs, and Bravazo was pre-entered in both on Wednesday, with the Dirt Mile listed as his preference.

"That's where we're headed," Lukas said.

Lukas said Luis Contreras has the mount.

Bravazo was ranked 15th for the Classic after the international panel got done with its work on the 19 horses pre-entered in the Classic. In the body of the Classic are City of Light, who cross entered in the Dirt Mile and expected to go there, and Lone Sailor, whose trainer, Tom Amoss, said no decision has yet been made on whether he runs in the Classic or Dirt Mile.

So, assuming City of Light goes to the Dirt Mile along with Bravazo, that means Gunnevera -- ranked 16th yesterday -- moves into the maximum 14-horse field for the Classic.

Seeking the Soul would thus be ranked 15th, so the decision on Lone Sailor could be pivotal on whether he gets in.

Final entries are due Monday, and posts drawn then. Up to two also-eligibles are allowed for the Classic, with scratch time 8 am Eastern on Nov. 2.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
29m29 minutes ago
Trainer Mark Glatt says Sharp Samurai will miss the Breeders' Cup Mile (G1T) because of a "throat infection." The four-time grade 2 winner was scheduled to work Saturday at Santa Anita and ship out Tuesday.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm

MyLute: I find it interesting that the Juvy Turf Sprint isn't restricted by gender like the other juvy races are. Guess its because there's just one.

I don't think they ever need to write a separate Juv. Turf Sprint for fillies. The fillies are quite competitive sprinting against the males at this age. Just look at Lady Aurelia, who walloped top 2yo colts at Ascot .
Starine

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Lone Sailor Turns In Maintenance Work, Amoss To Decide On Classic Vs. Dirt Mile Friday
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... le-friday/
Diver52

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 am

Why is there a Juvenile Turf Sprint when the (dirt) Juvenile Sprint was derided and discarded?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 am

Judging by all the horses trying to get into the Juv. Turf Sprint, it's a bit more popular than its dirt version was. Much more popular. :oops:
From the BC's business point of view, attracting so many horses adds to the entry-fee coffers. The Euros are showing great interest in running in it and, since their turf juveniles tend to be quality runners, it should make for an entertaining race.
Treve

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:13 am

We can't even fill both of our Dirt Juvie races, so I can understand why the Juvie Sprint on Dirt failed thrive.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Tessablue

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am

The juvenile turf races were pretty well derided when they were first announced, but I think they've really come into their own as some of the most competitive races on the card- and the field quality is getting better and better. Just compare last years turf winners, Mendelssohn and Rushing Fall, to Good Magic and Caledonia Road.

The Juvenile Sprint was rightly killed off when a maiden won it in a five-horse field. With 28 pre-entries, I think the Juvenile Turf Sprint will be just fine. I'm not a huge fan of the two-day BC split, but I think it's nice to see a greater promotion of turf sprinting in this country. I use turf sprint videos to get people interested in horse racing because of how exciting and entertaining they are.
stark

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:45 am

Breeders' Cup

@BreedersCup
1h1 hour ago
More
BREAKING NEWS: Connections of Roaring Lion have confirmed he will be running in the $6M #BreedersCup Classic.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 am

I'm hoping that Oscar Performance/Roaring Lion/Henley's Joy etc find success in their races so Kitten's Joy will be cemented as the leading sire of 2018.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
Mylute

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Ironically, Its Gonna Hurt is out of the Juvenile Turf Sprint with a suspensory injury and will get time off.

Shame. He was one of my picks. Hope he gets better.

Still trying to figure out why his name is “Its” instead of the grammatically correct “It’s” (assuming his name is “It is going to hurt”).