Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

stark

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm
I think TBC was down when a bad spill occurred at Del Mar. Apprentice Assael Espinoza cut off Irish Spring, causing him to clip heels and fall, and another horse fell across Irish Spring. Two riders went to the hospital, with Cory Nakatani suffering injuries that require surgery and will keep him out for months.
Irish Spring died.
Assael made the rounds to apologize to the riders and the trainer of Irish Spring. Then he proceeded to appeal the ten-day suspension the stewards gave him for reckless riding. :roll:
I found this article on my Yahoo News page today.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sd-sp-de ... story.html#
The incident was bad enough in itself (a horse killed and a rider out for months with serious injury), but Assael's tone-deaf decision to appeal his suspension has apparently pushed it into national news coverage.
Irish Spring's owner is outraged. IMHO, the young rider is giving the impression that all his apologies were meaningless.
But....trainers are still giving him mounts; five yesterday, IIRC. :oops: :(
Apprentice jockey Assael Espinoza, who has been in the first five in the jockey standings at all Southern California meetings since late spring, has lost an appeal of a 10-day suspension issued in August and will miss the bulk of the upcoming Del Mar meeting.

Espinoza can ride the first two days of the meeting, Friday and Saturday, and will resume riding on the final four days of the meeting – Nov. 29 through Dec. 2. He is suspended for Sunday and Monday, Nov. 15-18 and Nov. 22-25.

Espinoza, 18, was giving the original suspension for careless riding that led to a two-horse spill on Aug. 4. One horse did not survive the spill. Jockey Corey Nakatani suffered an injury in the accident and has not ridden since.
https://www.drf.com/news/apprentice-esp ... suspension
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:27 am

from DRF....

Veteran jockey Stewart Elliott will be undergoing surgery to remove his appendix in coming days and will not ride the Del Mar fall meeting, his agent, Nelson Arroyo, said Friday, opening day of the meet.

Arroyo said Elliott has been told he will be out of action for a month, and thus will not be returning to action before the Del Mar meet ends on Dec. 2.

Elliott, 53, is best known for winning the Kentucky Derby on Smarty Jones in 2004. He has won 4,827 races. He rode through the end of the Santa Anita meeting last Sunday, but took ill this week.
stark

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Exercise rider died @ Churchill this morning.

Kenny McPeek
‏@KennyMcPeek

We are all sick and saddened by the loss of such a good man in Odanis Acuna. We are working on all details to help his wife and children. There will be a Go Fund page soon.

https://www.drf.com/news/exercise-rider ... g-accident
Mylute

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Jerry Bozzo, Oldest Winning Thoroughbred Trainer in History, Dies at 98

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... ies-at-98/

~ He broke his own record twice that I know of.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Spinal injury forces Gary Stevens to retire from saddle
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens on Tuesday said he is retiring from riding after doctors informed him he has a spinal injury that could lead to a far more serious issue if he were to fall.

“I had an MRI on Monday and the C-4 is up against the spinal cord,” Stevens said of his examination with Dr. James Tibone. “Tibone didn’t mince any words. He said, ‘You’re done.’”

“There won’t be any comeback from this one,” Stevens said, laughing.

Stevens was injured in the post parade on Saturday at Del Mar and said: “My right arm went numb. It was almost like a whiplash effect.”

Stevens rode one more race on Saturday, but took off his lone mount on Sunday. At the time he thought he merely had a pinched nerve in his neck, but the examination with Tibone showed otherwise.

“I’m done doing what I did,” Stevens said. “I was getting close anyway. Now it will be time to pursue other things, but thank God I’m not in a wheelchair.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/spinal-injury- ... ire-saddle
stark

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Wishing a happy healthy retirement for GStevens...again.

Just one mystery question. How in the heck did he win a substantial workers comp claim for his bad knees and then return to the saddle once the check cleared?

One more question. I wonder who is the best horse ever really was?
Curtis

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:03 pm

stark wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm
Wishing a happy healthy retirement for GStevens...again.

Just one mystery question. How in the heck did he win a substantial workers comp claim for his bad knees and then return to the saddle once the check cleared?

One more question. I wonder who is the best horse ever really was?
Seabiscuit
stark

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:20 pm

All ten of 'em lol
Mylute

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Quick question, or I need an explanation.

95% of the time, when someone says something positive about Jason Servis, or when he wins a stake, there's an influx of gremlins saying "DRUGS!!!! NEEDLES!!!! DRUGSSS!!" and most recently some idiot saying "f*ck Irad and drug boy Servis" when Life In Shambles finally got through with a stakes win.

What is the deal? Was he reprimanded for bute or something 20 years ago? There was some stuff with Peter Miller I know, but I haven't seen comments regarding that in response to his wins in a while.

I've asked this once before and I got one response, which was something like "Nothing that I know of. People just freak out when a trainer not named Chad or Todd or Bob starts winning races". Is that it?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm

John Panagot @JohnPanagot
Javier Castellano will compete in the Longines International Jockeys’ Championship at Happy Valley Dec 5... He will begin at the Gulfstream Park Championship meet Saturday, Dec 8.

3:26 AM - 28 Nov 2018
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 pm

'Just the word is so... sure it's frightening' - Pat Smullen reflects on 'the ultimate second chance' in life
From a world bubbling with stress, endless sacrifice and cold, cold scrutiny, from a need to hear those cheers rattle down off the grandstands, to this.

A room cleared of any confusion.

Pat Smullen chats with the clarion tone of someone suddenly attuned to a line from Mitch Albom's 'The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto'; one reading: "The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

He sits in a hospital bed, hood pulled up on a grey tracksuit top to offset the bouts of shivering that still come sporadically, reminding his body of what it's been through.

A large balloon, transposed with the faces of his children, bobs from a bedside locker. We are in the Hawthorn Ward on the fifth floor of St Vincent's Private, charts at the bottom of the bed tabulating his recovery from six and a half hours of essentially life-saving surgery. The tumour on his pancreas has been removed.

When he heard they'd got it, Pat admits he cried. "This is the ultimate second chance at life," he says now and those words aren't chosen lightly.

Since hearing the cancer diagnosis on March 26, the co-ordinates of Smullen's world have been rewritten starkly. They had to be. After an eternity of chasing winners, life narrowed and simplified with brutal suddenness.

And, in a perverse way, there may even have been some relief in that.
More: https://www.independent.ie/sport/horse- ... 87705.html
katmandu

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 pm
'Just the word is so... sure it's frightening' - Pat Smullen reflects on 'the ultimate second chance' in life
From a world bubbling with stress, endless sacrifice and cold, cold scrutiny, from a need to hear those cheers rattle down off the grandstands, to this.

A room cleared of any confusion.

Pat Smullen chats with the clarion tone of someone suddenly attuned to a line from Mitch Albom's 'The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto'; one reading: "The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

He sits in a hospital bed, hood pulled up on a grey tracksuit top to offset the bouts of shivering that still come sporadically, reminding his body of what it's been through.

A large balloon, transposed with the faces of his children, bobs from a bedside locker. We are in the Hawthorn Ward on the fifth floor of St Vincent's Private, charts at the bottom of the bed tabulating his recovery from six and a half hours of essentially life-saving surgery. The tumour on his pancreas has been removed.

When he heard they'd got it, Pat admits he cried. "This is the ultimate second chance at life," he says now and those words aren't chosen lightly.

Since hearing the cancer diagnosis on March 26, the co-ordinates of Smullen's world have been rewritten starkly. They had to be. After an eternity of chasing winners, life narrowed and simplified with brutal suddenness.

And, in a perverse way, there may even have been some relief in that.
More: https://www.independent.ie/sport/horse- ... 87705.html
That's a very good article, and if Pat Smullen has beaten pancreatic cancer, he's winning a race many, many people do not.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

He was at Del Mar today for the Hollywood Derby trophy presentation. He looks and sounds great!

Victor Espinoza making progress, eyeing return in mid-January
Victor Espinoza, the Hall of Fame jockey who has been sidelined since a morning training accident more than four months ago, on Saturday at Del Mar said he was making excellent progress and hoped to return to action by mid-January.

“I’m getting there, almost there,” said Espinoza, who was visiting the track for the first time since the accident on July 22, an indication of how well he is doing.

Espinoza said he is back running in the neighborhood near his home east of Del Mar, where he has remained since the accident. He said he is going to the gym regularly to lift weights, and said he wants to continue to progress in terms of the strength in his arms before getting back on horses.

“I’m almost there. I should be good. A few more weeks. I should be good to go in mid-January,” Espinoza said.

Full story up soon at www.drf.com
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/46308-victo ... id-january
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Britney's interview with Victor Espinoza.
https://twitter.com/DelMarRacing/status ... 2348152832
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:00 pm

High cost of workers' compensation hitting NYRA trainers hard
Since opening up a division on the New York Racing Association circuit in the spring of 2017, trainer Robertino Diodoro has won 69 races and his horses have earned just less than $3 million in purses.

Has that resulted in him making money?

“I don’t think so,” said Diodoro, whose commissions on those purse earnings would total about $300,000.

That’s why Diodoro, who went 10 for 43 at Aqueduct last winter with a stable of 20 to 25 head, is dramatically cutting back his New York stable this winter. He said his 30-horse string will dwindle to 10 or 12 by the new year. Ultimately, Diodoro could be out of New York by the time the Oaklawn Park meet begins on Jan. 25. Diodoro also is stabled at Delta Downs and Turf Paradise.

“It’s very expensive to operate in New York,” said Diodoro, who is currently serving a 15-day suspension for a medication violation incurred at Canterbury in Minnesota. “It’s not how much money you make, it’s how much you spend.”

Diodoro is not the only horseman seriously contemplating cutting down – or cutting out altogether – his New York operation.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/high-cost-work ... iners-hard
stark

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 am

stark

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Sparrow Castle

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Piggott Recovering, Pacemaker Fitted
Lester Piggott is still hospitalised and is recovering after have surgery to be fitted for a pacemaker a few days ago. One of the sport’s all-time great figures, Piggott, 83, was admitted to hospital at the start of this month and underwent tests while doctors monitored his condition.

His daughter Maureen Haggas, wife of Classic-winning trainer William Haggas, confirmed on Wednesday a pacemaker had been fitted to help her father’s heart beat normally and revealed he could return home as soon as this weekend.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pi ... ker-fitted
stark

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Dallas Keen
‏@dallaskeentb

Happy to announce that we have decided to stay racing in California year round. We'll miss racing in TX but it is time to move on.
stark

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:32 pm

European jockey Andrea Atzeni, a rising international star, will relocate to California for early winter, adding depth to a Santa Anita colony already strengthened by the return of East Coast jockey Joel Rosario, writes @BradFree1.