Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Catalina

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Just announced: For his role in the 1st-race spill here @GulfstreamPark yesterday, Paco Lopez is suspended **30 days** by the stewards. Two horses lost their riders, incl. apprentice Romero Maragh, who is undergoing surgery to have vertebrae fused. Lopez has 72 hours to appeal.
And if he does appeal, the stewards ought to up that. It isn't like he doesn't know better. He has ridden over 12,000 races.
Curtis

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm
Curtis wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm
I’m guessing Assael Espinoza won’t be taking his talents to South Beach any time soon.
Nor Tony Farina who played a role in ending Pincay's career, he got 7 days!
Back in those days I used binoculars at the track. I had a bet on Pincay’s horse so I was focused on him just beginning to make his move. What happened next wasn’t pretty.
stark

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Curtis wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 pm
Back in those days I used binoculars at the track. I had a bet on Pincay’s horse so I was focused on him just beginning to make his move. What happened next wasn’t pretty.
To this day, I tend to turn my head away as they come to the dirt crossing.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 am

G @LongBallToNoOne
2h 2 hours ago

Nanako Fujita feature in Sports Graphic Number.
Becomes the first female to ride in a JRA Group 1 later this month when she partners Copano Kicking in G1 February Stakes
https://t.co/Nf4N3MKLb8
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:45 pm

From across the pond...

Jockeys' association backs study calling for action to address sexuality issues
The Professional Jockeys Association has welcomed a groundbreaking study exploring sexuality in the weighing room and agreed more must be done to help riders who feel unable to be open about their sexual orientation.

In a presentation to Tuesday's Horseracing Industry Conference racing professional David Letts revealed that findings from his University of Liverpool MBA research indicate the number of non-heterosexual jockeys in Britain is broadly in line with that of the national population, most recently recorded at six per cent.

That contrasts with the fact only one active jockey has ever publicly come out as gay, after which he claimed to lose rides from some trainers and owners.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ers/365113
Mylute

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Four Year Ban For Darren Weird Following Jigger Inquiry

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-inquiry
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
katmandu

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 pm

How about owner news. . . I don't suppose anyone will be boycotting the DWC or trainers will move horses out of their barn, will they...……?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a- ... spartanntp
stark

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm

What happened to the west coast trainer Melody Conlon and owner John Liviakis?
Always enjoyed seeing his money show up on the tote board and destroy the morning line odds.
Been over a year since I've seen them?
Catalina

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm
What happened to the west coast trainer Melody Conlon and owner John Liviakis?
Always enjoyed seeing his money show up on the tote board and destroy the morning line odds.
Been over a year since I've seen them?
Conlon doesn't seem to have had any runners since summer of 2017.
Liviakis shows up in several partnerships (e.g. with Little Red Feather and with Agave), but seems to not have had any runners since summer 2018.
stark

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

ARCADIA, Calif. - Apprentice jockey Jean Diaz Jr. won a race on Saturday and a race Sunday at Santa Anita in his first week of riding in California.

The 18-year-old Diaz relocated from Puerto Rico earlier this month and recorded the fifth and sixth wins of his career last weekend. He won Saturday’s sixth race on Hero for Hire ($26) and Sunday’s fifth race on turf on Swirling ($3.40).

Sunday’s fifth race was the subject of an inquiry into the stretch run when Swirling drifted to the inside. The stewards did not change the order of finish.

Diaz has two mounts on Thursday’s eight-race program. Diaz claims seven pounds.
WarBiscuit

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm
ARCADIA, Calif. - Apprentice jockey Jean Diaz Jr. won a race on Saturday and a race Sunday at Santa Anita in his first week of riding in California.

The 18-year-old Diaz relocated from Puerto Rico earlier this month and recorded the fifth and sixth wins of his career last weekend. He won Saturday’s sixth race on Hero for Hire ($26) and Sunday’s fifth race on turf on Swirling ($3.40).

Sunday’s fifth race was the subject of an inquiry into the stretch run when Swirling drifted to the inside. The stewards did not change the order of finish.

Diaz has two mounts on Thursday’s eight-race program. Diaz claims seven pounds.
I've been following him for little while over at Camarero, as he has had the mounts on some of the horses appearing in the War Horse thread - namely Financial Pathway and Mandrake. I hope he does well here. Better pay - tougher to get mounts. He'll need some luck, but so far, so good!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

zoecadman @zoecadman
10m10 minutes ago
Great to see @VictorEspinoza back in the entries Monday @santaanitapark ! @WatchXBTV @johnwsadler
stark

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Not sure why but that just scares the hell outta me.
Godspeed Victor.
Diver52

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:18 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:36 pm
Not sure why but that just scares the hell outta me.
Godspeed Victor.
For some reason, me too. I was hoping he'd quit, but as long as he is fully healed and there is no added risk (unlike Gary Stevens) if he falls again, I suppose I should accept it.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 pm

Optimism, Forgiveness Prevail As Carmouche Eyes Return To The Saddle
Noted orthopaedic trauma surgeon Philip Kregor was blunt when he met with jockey Kendrick Carmouche and his wife, Whitney, following a horrific accident at Kentucky Downs last Sept. 8.

According to Whitney, he told them Carmouche's broken right femur was one of the two worst he had ever seen and compared the damage to what might have occurred during an explosion. He warned that there was a five percent chance the leg would not fully heal.

“He said it was about as traumatic as a leg break can be,” Whitney recalled.

More than four hours of surgery to repair the widespread damage and insert a metal rod, two long nails toward the hip and two smaller screws near the knee were followed by arduous physical therapy until the end of Carmouche's ordeal is finally in sight. He has begun galloping horses in New York with an eye toward a March 1 comeback at Aqueduct Racetrack.
More: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... he-saddle/
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Hall of Famer Prado too old to ride in Saudi Arabia
Prado said he traveled to Saudi Arabia under a riding contract, and his Twitter account showed that he had already ridden in several races in the kingdom prior to his license being rejected. He did not immediately respond to a phone message on Friday.

“I wish I could be more informed about before I left USA and my business, to ride here under contract, SAD!” he posted.
More: https://classic.drf.com/news/hall-famer ... udi-arabia
stark

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:54 pm

From DRF.....
Jockey Tyler Baze apparently escaped serious injury in the final race on Friday at Santa Anita when his mount, Hot American, broke down nearing the far turn with what proved to be a fatal injury.

Baze was thrown to the turf. He "walked off no problem," according to Mike Willman, the track's publicist.

Craig O'Bryan, Baze's agent, said Baze was taken to the track's first aid, as required in such incidents. O'Bryan later texted: "Tyler's fine."

Darrell Haire, the Western Regional Manager of the Jockeys' Guild, said Baze told him he had a sore wrist but that he expected to ride on Saturday after icing the wrist overnight.

Hot American was euthanized. according to Willman. There was a claim in for him, but it was voided by the stewards, according to the Equibase chart crew.
stark

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Quick questions with Joe Talamo

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101264580745949184
lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:59 pm

This is an amazing and inspiring - and poignant, given its ending - story. 8-)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2019 ... -toughest/
Greatest sports story never told: The woman who defied the Nazis to win the toughest horse race in history

By the mid-Thirties, Lata was one of the most celebrated Czechoslovaks in sport, irrespective of gender. Even the cavalry officers recognised her as a national treasure. But victory in the Grand Pardubice eluded her, and the riders of the Third Reich gradually tightened their grip on the race. In 1936, Lata was 41.

That autumn, Kinsky gave the ride on Norma to a man instead, believing (wrongly) that a stronger rider might be more successful. It was a crushing blow to Lata’s dreams; especially when Kinsky then announced the end of Norma’s racing career.

<snip>

Statesmen, socialites and visiting dignitaries were among the unprecedented crowd of 40,000 that filled Pardubice racecourse to bursting point. The rest of the country listened on the radio. Only the foolish imagined that a shy, middle-aged lady, riding a 12-1 outsider, could possibly win; but Czechoslovakia was awash with foolishness that Sunday. Lata was carrying a nation’s hopes on her shoulders.

There is archival footage of the race here, with English commentary - be warned it does show some falls, if you'd rather not see those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTMDPxlz5I

Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 am

Scott Stevens Wins George Woolf Award
Jockey Scott Stevens has been selected by a nationwide vote of his peers as the winner of Santa Anita’s 2019 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award.

In winning this year’s Woolf Award, Stevens, 58, joins his Hall of Fame brother Gary, the 1996 Woolf winner, in becoming the only pair of brothers to win the Award since its inception in 1950. One of five Woolf Award finalists, Stevens outpolled fellow riders Joe Bravo, Kerwin Clark, John Davila, Jr. and Julien Leparoux.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sc ... olf-award/