What if we had a National Racing Czar?

stark

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am

Two new appointees to the CHRB.
Readers comments that follow are, as always, interesting.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... 4246861404
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Rick1323

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 pm

It is post time and the horses are a quarter miles from the gate, in Florida make that a half mile. The serious betting has just begun, the 4-1 odds you thought you were getting just dropped to even money. Maybe 5 minutes after post time they load. Horses go off and half way through the race you see that your even money is now 3-5. A national racing car would stop this quickly by shutting off the tote at post time, like they did after the BC pick 6 scandal......and yet......
Everyone come home sound.....
peeptoad

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 am

Rick1323 wrote:
It is post time and the horses are a quarter miles from the gate, in Florida make that a half mile. The serious betting has just begun, the 4-1 odds you thought you were getting just dropped to even money. Maybe 5 minutes after post time they load. Horses go off and half way through the race you see that your even money is now 3-5. A national racing car would stop this quickly by shutting off the tote at post time, like they did after the BC pick 6 scandal......and yet......
Heck, shut the tote with 1 mtp... they could put a bright yellow clicker with 5 mtp and bettors would get used to it pretty fast, but... raw capitalism is a reality. I don't think the racing czar alone could remedy that.
If they could I might have actually gotten that 9/1 on Firenze Fire in the Dwyer.
Rick1323

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:25 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 am
Rick1323 wrote:
Heck, shut the tote with 1 mtp... they could put a bright yellow clicker with 5 mtp and bettors would get used to it pretty fast, but... raw capitalism is a reality. I don't think the racing czar alone could remedy that.
If they could I might have actually gotten that 9/1 on Firenze Fire in the Dwyer.
My hope is that a racing car might put us first, but you are probably right. This would be yet another way to protect the business and leave gamblers with the usual crappy treatment.....
stark

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
Not sure "post time" is the right answer, but "when the first horse loads into the gate" is a logical one that worked for a while. I remember watching everybody in line at the Vegas books complain, but once they got the hang of it they pretty much shut up and played along.
Rick1323

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 pm

stark wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 pm
Rick1323 wrote:
Not sure "post time" is the right answer, but "when the first horse loads into the gate" is a logical one that worked for a while. I remember watching everybody in line at the Vegas books complain, but once they got the hang of it they pretty much shut up and played along.
Post time was the result of the BC pick 6 scandal. We all got used to it quickly, but it didn't last long. It has gotten to the point of being a joke today, especially at the Florida tracks. I would be happy with the first horse to load. I'm pretty sure we are getting screwed 6 ways to Sunday right now......
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Thought we had a better thread for ideas like these but couldn't find it...

TIF Idea Blast Winners Announced
The Thoroughbred Idea Foundation solicited readers to submit their own ideas, and will continue to do so, in the hopes of spurring positive thoughts, change and innovation within racing.
More: https://racingthinktank.com/blog/first- ... st-winners
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:12 pm

WinStar Farm @WinStarFarm
5h5 hours ago
Our 2019 Super Bowl Commercial.
Horses changed our lives. Have they changed yours? Share with us and tag #HorsesChangedMyLife.
Video: https://twitter.com/WinStarFarm/status/ ... 5928506368
stark

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Do you think that if we actually had a National Czar they would allow Belinda to make these sweeping changes on the fly?

Or

Do you think Belinda is the de facto Czarina and everybody will fall in line behind her?
Catalina

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 am

stark wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:04 pm
Do you think that if we actually had a National Czar they would allow Belinda to make these sweeping changes on the fly?

Or

Do you think Belinda is the de facto Czarina and everybody will fall in line behind her?
No, on both questions. Aside fro all other considerations, a National Czar hopefully would be smart enough to realize that this doesn't fix the problem with the track, but just generically reduces breakdowns overall. SA would still have a higher fatality race than other tracks.