Mendelssohn

katmandu

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:42 am

And then there's those suicidal paces. . . is this "mismanagement" or an Achille's tendon?
Treve

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 am

katmandu wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:42 am
And then there's those suicidal paces. . . is this "mismanagement" or an Achille's tendon?
Overcompensation? They worked so much on breaking sharply and I suspect maybe because Ryan Moore simply isn't used to the pace of US dirt races, might have found himself misjudging both the early speed necessary and when to time his move... Almost like trying to run races opposite to European turf races when that is simply not the case, not for these big 10f G1s...
The horse didn't seem rank to my eye (of course I wasn't on him so who knows) so I doubt it was Mendelssohn pulling him to the front like that. I can't help but wonder what if that opening quarter in the classic had been 2 seconds slower. He did slow down for the second quarter but not enough against such a field.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Tessablue

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 am

It does seem odd that he's been continually blasted to the front. Is he definitely retiring after this year? It would be a shame; I think he's demonstrably better now than he was in the first half of the year. Really strikes me as a horse who would thrive at four, especially if he's allowed to relax early.
Treve

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 am

I can only surmise it is in avoidance of kickback as AOB said in an interview around Travers time that kickback is the only thing they couldn’t practice at home.

He was announced for the Coolmore roster for 2019 so I think it’s almost definitive and owners were already planning mares to him, I suppose there is a very narrow chance he could keep racing.
I agree especially with him being a late May foal, he still has a lot of upside and potential growth ahead of him. His half siblings got better as they got older I don’t see why he wouldn’t either.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder