2019 Pegasus World Cup

Northport

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am

thinair wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 am
Northport wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Racing fans? He's a legendary jockey and is good with fans, if I could extend my current South Florida vacation to include the Pegasus, it would be a plus to be able to see him ride in person, even if he finishes last. Though I'm sure he'll get some decent mounts on the undercard.
That's sort of a stretch from what Zoe said and I responded to. Of course, the Pegasus is such a fan friendly event with its $100 fee just to get into the place.
Yeah , as a fan, that seems like a reasonable price of admission for a day long sporting event.

Though maybe I am the only Frankie Dettori fan who doesn't mind spending $200ish on a fun day out.
weeeeeeeee
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 am

Northport wrote:
thinair wrote:
Northport wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Racing fans? He's a legendary jockey and is good with fans, if I could extend my current South Florida vacation to include the Pegasus, it would be a plus to be able to see him ride in person, even if he finishes last. Though I'm sure he'll get some decent mounts on the undercard.
That's sort of a stretch from what Zoe said and I responded to. Of course, the Pegasus is such a fan friendly event with its $100 fee just to get into the place.
Yeah , as a fan, that seems like a reasonable price of admission for a day long sporting event.

Though maybe I am the only Frankie Dettori fan who doesn't mind spending $200ish on a fun day out.

Just to be clear, you think racetracks should charge $100 admission? It's an interesting take, and one I will probably never hear again ( save the board troll Stark saying something idiotic ).

$100 is just for admission. Your fun day will cost well more than $200 even if you don't want to ever sit anywhere.
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 am

stark wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am
thinair wrote:
Of course, the Pegasus is such a fan friendly event with its $100 fee just to get into the place.
Unless you get comped to everything, the 76ers at the Knicks next weekend will run you $100 to sit up in the rafters, $150+ if you actually want to see the numbers on the players silks, and $38 to park. Then, you have to watch the Knicks play for a couple of hours.

I'll take the Pegasus live and in person any day of the week.

I realize you're trolling, but that's probably not the best comparison. The market sets the prices for tickets to major sporting events. Tickets for 76ers games are expensive because they are a top team with enticing talent, particularly the extremely popular Joel Embiid. Those tickets are much cheaper for Hawks games. There is not such an abundance of interest in racing, even the Pegasus, that exorbitant prices are reasonable. Plus, the prices you mentioned include a seat. The $100 for the Pegasus does not. if you want a seat, you must pay MUCH more. I think it's a logical conclusion that the $100 fee to enter the grounds on Pegasus Day is more about who it keeps out, than who it lets in.

How do you think the response would be if we announced admission to Saratoga was $100? Given the uproar when the grandstand went from $3 to $5, I'm guessing not overly positive. You and Northfork apparently would be our two defenders. Good to know. Hopefully we won't have to call on you.
Curtis

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 am

thinair wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 am
stark wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am
thinair wrote:
Of course, the Pegasus is such a fan friendly event with its $100 fee just to get into the place.
Unless you get comped to everything, the 76ers at the Knicks next weekend will run you $100 to sit up in the rafters, $150+ if you actually want to see the numbers on the players silks, and $38 to park. Then, you have to watch the Knicks play for a couple of hours.

I'll take the Pegasus live and in person any day of the week.

I realize you're trolling, but that's probably not the best comparison. The market sets the prices for tickets to major sporting events. Tickets for 76ers games are expensive because they are a top team with enticing talent, particularly the extremely popular Joel Embiid. Those tickets are much cheaper for Hawks games. There is not such an abundance of interest in racing, even the Pegasus, that exorbitant prices are reasonable. Plus, the prices you mentioned include a seat. The $100 for the Pegasus does not. if you want a seat, you must pay MUCH more. I think it's a logical conclusion that the $100 fee to enter the grounds on Pegasus Day is more about who it keeps out, than who it lets in.

How do you think the response would be if we announced admission to Saratoga was $100? Given the uproar when the grandstand went from $3 to $5, I'm guessing not overly positive. You and Northfork apparently would be our two defenders. Good to know. Hopefully we won't have to call on you.
I didn’t realize they had seats anymore at Gulfstream. How much to sit on the sculpture?
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Curtis wrote:

I didn’t realize they had seats anymore at Gulfstream. How much to sit on the sculpture?

$32 million.
Curtis

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 pm

thinair wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Curtis wrote:

$32 million.
;)
MR-W

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:30 pm

thinair wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:42 pm
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm
zoecadman @zoecadman
12m12 minutes ago
Great to see @FrankieDettori has taken the mount on undefeated Kukulkan in the @PegasusWorldCup @WatchXBTV @GulfstreamPark
Aside from Frankie, who surely got a big cash payday for riding this horse that will be last, who is this "great" for?
Why are you being so pessimistic about Kukulkan running in the Pegasus? His presence, at least for me adds to the excitement of this race. You seem so bent on the fact that Kulkukan would be a lower tier racehorse in this country. I imagine many thought the same when Arcangues ran in the 1993 BCC. The presence of Kulkukan in this race is a great story line for racing and particularly for this race. My hang out is at Santa Anita and I know for a fact that my racing circle is extremely excited that he's entered in the race.
stark

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:31 pm

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – The 12th and final spot in the $9 million Pegasus World Cup has opened with the defection of Leofric, and Gulfstream Park officials were in discussions with Bob Baffert about McKinzie taking his place in the Jan. 26 race.

continue reading @ https://classic.drf.com/news/mckinzie-p ... asus-berth
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:57 pm

MR-W wrote:
thinair wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm
zoecadman @zoecadman
12m12 minutes ago
Great to see @FrankieDettori has taken the mount on undefeated Kukulkan in the @PegasusWorldCup @WatchXBTV @GulfstreamPark
Aside from Frankie, who surely got a big cash payday for riding this horse that will be last, who is this "great" for?
Why are you being so pessimistic about Kukulkan running in the Pegasus? His presence, at least for me adds to the excitement of this race. You seem so bent on the fact that Kulkukan would be a lower tier racehorse in this country. I imagine many thought the same when Arcangues ran in the 1993 BCC. The presence of Kulkukan in this race is a great story line for racing and particularly for this race. My hang out is at Santa Anita and I know for a fact that my racing circle is extremely excited that he's entered in the race.
Quite an analogy...a turf horse trained by one of the greatest trainers of all time trying a surface for the first time vs a proven commodity that is a proven 25 lengths slower than his competition.

It's not a great story line when he loses by 30 lengths. Feel free to check back after the race.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Back to Frankie D... :P ;)
I'd imagine that there's a good chance he could pick up a ride on a competitive runner in the Pegasus Turf. Hopefully, that race will fill with decent grass horses; I'd like to see a high-value turf stakes flourish here. Maybe a couple of the Dubai-bound horses could use it as a prep?
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:38 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm
Back to Frankie D... :P ;)
I'd imagine that there's a good chance he could pick up a ride on a competitive runner in the Pegasus Turf. Hopefully, that race will fill with decent grass horses; I'd like to see a high-value turf stakes flourish here. Maybe a couple of the Dubai-bound horses could use it as a prep?
Which of the four are you thinking?
MR-W

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:46 pm

thinair wrote:
MR-W wrote:
thinair wrote:

Quite an analogy...a turf horse trained by one of the greatest trainers of all time trying a surface for the first time vs a proven commodity that is a proven 25 lengths slower than his competition.

It's not a great story line when he loses by 30 lengths. Feel free to check back after the race.
Lol...morning line odds for Roaring Lion in the BCC was 20-1 even though he had never run on dirt. Arcangues went off at 133-1. Both were trained by great turf trainers. It's very obvious that if any of the bettors felt Arcangues had even a remote chance of winning he would have been bet down to some type of reasonable betting line. Basically NOBODY thought he had even the slightest of chances. It's a horse race. Anything can happen. Kukulkan deserves a shot and it makes the race very interesting. Trust me, I'm not saying he's going to win but I'm glad he's in there.
Curtis

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:55 pm

MR-W wrote:
thinair wrote:
MR-W wrote:

Lol...morning line odds for Roaring Lion in the BCC was 20-1 even though he had never run on dirt. Arcangues went off at 133-1. Both were trained by great turf trainers. It's very obvious that if any of the bettors felt Arcangues had even a remote chance of winning he would have been bet down to some type of reasonable betting line. Basically NOBODY thought he had even the slightest of chances. It's a horse race. Anything can happen. Kukulkan deserves a shot and it makes the race very interesting. Trust me, I'm not saying he's going to win but I'm glad he's in there.
Seriously, Greyvitos has more business running.
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:12 pm

MR-W wrote:

This is such an absurd argument. I enjoy that you are using Arcangues, as one of the smartest and most respected players in the game won more than a million dollars betting on him. You aren't qualified to say things like "NOBODY though he had even the slightest of chances." Arcangues was a complete unknown. He is a HORRENDOUS analogy to this situation. Kukulkan is a known product....and he is WAY too slow to be competitive.

Just be sure to check in after the race.
Northport

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:23 pm

thinair wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 am
Northport wrote:
thinair wrote:

Just to be clear, you think racetracks should charge $100 admission? It's an interesting take, and one I will probably never hear again ( save the board troll Stark saying something idiotic ).

$100 is just for admission. Your fun day will cost well more than $200 even if you don't want to ever sit anywhere.
It's $60 for admission. $75 if you aren't one of the first 1000 there.

I could go on and continue to defend my glass half full point that it's admission for a big day of racing at Gulfstream, not a Thursday in December at Woodbine (guess I should have specified), or that I don't mind spending money on a once a year thing. It's just my opinion, dude.
weeeeeeeee
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:16 pm

You do you, but you can sit in the bleachers to watch the Yankees play a decent team for less.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
ElPrado2

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm

With only 4 possibles so far it looks like we won't see much of a field for that spectacular turf extravaganza.
ElPrado2

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Welcome back, Som, you've been missed.
Northport

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
You do you, but you can sit in the bleachers to watch the Yankees play a decent team for less.
Definitely, but tbh I only really enjoy racing and showjumping. Every now and then a family friend has extra Blue Jays tickets, but other than that I don't really go to/follow any other sporting events.

Also, long time, no see!
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Yay, you're back! Missed you a lot!