2019 Pegasus World Cup

thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm
With only 4 possibles so far it looks like we won't see much of a field for that spectacular turf extravaganza.
I think Yoshida is running now, so it's currently the fab five.
Starine

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Yoshida Newest Contender For Pegasus World Cup Turf
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... d-cup-turf

Makes sense to bring him back here; aside from the Japanese filly Aerolithe the race isn't coming up too tough.

And his addition brings the neat possibility of an exacta of horses bred in Japan -- with one shipping over and one based on US soil.
tachyon

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Um.. I had hoped Yoshida would race on on the dirt to increase his future stud value.

I will cheer for him anyway and now hope he will beat Aerolithe and the others.
Good luck to him!
Starine

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 pm

McKinzie Could Grab Final Spot In Pegasus World Cup Invitational
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/pega ... itational/
Northport

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 pm

tachyon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Um.. I had hoped Yoshida would race on on the dirt to increase his future stud value.

I will cheer for him anyway and now hope he will beat Aerolithe and the others.
Good luck to him!
If Yoshida runs in the turf Pegasus, he is almost guaranteed to pick up a better cheque than he would in the dirt Pegasus. I wouldn't rule him out of top dirt contests in 2019 just yet.

Full field (if McKinzie does take the only vacant slot) + WinStar already represented by Audible (though his comeback race wasn't very encouraging) in the dirt Pegasus + very shallow field shaping up in the turf version = Yoshida is back on the lawn.

I wonder if Pegasus had reps in Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. the way Royal Ascot and the Spring Carnival does, pitching their races/meets to foreign trainers and owners and making deals to fill the gate with some high quality (though maybe not first string) horses... at this point is seems like a no... or maybe Aerolithe's connections were the only takers.
weeeeeeeee
thinair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Northport wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 pm

I wonder if Pegasus had reps in Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. the way Royal Ascot and the Spring Carnival does, pitching their races/meets to foreign trainers and owners and making deals to fill the gate with some high quality (though maybe not first string) horses... at this point is seems like a no... or maybe Aerolithe's connections were the only takers.
I would assume they employ the IRB.
stark

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 pm

ARCADIA, Calif. – Next Shares has specialized as a grass miler, but his victory when stretching out to 1 1/8 miles in the Grade 2, $201,404 San Gabriel Stakes on Saturday at Santa Anita has now earned him a spot in the inaugural Pegasus World Cup Turf later this month.

https://classic.drf.com/news/next-share ... gasus-turf
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm

What does everyone think the shelf life of this race is? For some reason I don't see it being around in another 5 years.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Northport

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:06 pm

The turf race or the dirt race? Or all the above?
weeeeeeeee
stark

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Frank Stronach is a big boy who can admit failure, but he's also perhaps the biggest name in the sport the past 20 years to try new ideas.

So be it the Sunshine Millions or the 20cent rainbow picksix or who knows what Belinda might come up with in the future, I've learned to applaud their innovation and willingness to try something new against seemingly long odds.

He's certainly not afraid to put his money where his mouth is, so I see the participants surrendering before he does.

But he's not stupid either, so we'll see what the future holds.
Somnambulist

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 pm

More the dirt one, for the following reasons:

1. America's deep-seeded love with capitalism aka immediate gratification means that majority of lucratively bred race horses will go to the shed for immediate returns than will stick around for this race.
2. True sportsmanship is dead. See reason 1.
2A. Insurance is very expensive.
3. I talk with the ultra affluent daily. There is a cap to how willing they are to piss money down the drain. Having a heart-hobby is great but at no point do you want to literally light your money on fire.
4. Frank won't live forever, and since his daughter is likely to undergo a crippling lawsuit who then rules this empire and ponies up the purse money, since the participants can't actually be paying $1MM a slot now? I have doubts about the Stonach Empire in general.

Nevermind the entire day is completely out of touch approach to the current economic situation of most Americans. $100 to stand? My SO and are DINKS with no desire for the K but we'd never spend $100 to stand. We'd have lower back and foot pain for days. If we bet and God-forbid, eat, this is easily a $300-$400 day. To watch a bunch of also rans? Yikes. Everyone is ragging on thinair for that "intrigue" horse but I'd rather put $400 towards a plane to Ascot. Not to mention... ew, Florida.

I think the days of turf racing being the red-headed ugly stepchild of American racing are fast approaching their end. It's taken off here and rightfully so: it's safer, more competitive and at the moment the turf horses stick around longer. Statistically speaking if the turf race gains traction then there are more owners who might decide they like the sporting gesture of contributing towards a purse.

Just my take. I truly like that Frank thought outside the box since no one else in this inbred industry wants to, but I'm not sure this is proving the way to do it.
Starine

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Next Shares Pegasus Turf-Bound After San Gabriel Win
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... abriel-win
Tessablue

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am

I like the bare concept of the race- it's nice to have something to look forward to after the BC, and although the fields haven't been great top-to-bottom, there have been some excellent matchups and both winners were outstanding. I'm sincerely looking forward to this year's dirt edition (still have no idea who will actually be in the turf race).

That being said, I could never be convinced to actually attend the event, and it strikes me as yet another example of how racing fans are being priced out of the game in favor of people with deep pocketbooks and an endless desire to drink outdoors. I don't know if that model- or the model of the race itself- is sustainable... but I guess it works for NYRA, considering what the Belmont has become in the past few years. Wait and see, I guess.

But I mostly wrote this post as an excuse to say how nice it is to see Som on this forum again. Hi Som!
thinair

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:21 am

stark wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Frank Stronach is a big boy who can admit failure, but he's also perhaps the biggest name in the sport the past 20 years to try new ideas.

So be it the Sunshine Millions or the 20cent rainbow picksix or who knows what Belinda might come up with in the future, I've learned to applaud their innovation and willingness to try something new against seemingly long odds.

He's certainly not afraid to put his money where his mouth is, so I see the participants surrendering before he does.

But he's not stupid either, so we'll see what the future holds.
Frank Stronach isn't running Stronach Group. You need to keep up with the news.

You're not even a good troll.
stark

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am

Hey Little Andy,
Fuck you and all your troll comments.

Nuff said.
thinair

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm
What does everyone think the shelf life of this race is? For some reason I don't see it being around in another 5 years.
The finances are tricky, as nobody talks, and the entry fees seem to evolve, so it's hard to know. The dirt race will likely last but probably not the turf, at least at a high level ( maybe $2 million? ).

They got very lucky the first year with CA Chrome, as he had a huge fan base, and not so much the following two years, as nobody other than real racing fans know about Gun Runner and Accelerate. Few horses these days attract rabid fan bases. It's been expensive so far, and at some point that becomes problematic.

I remember when Mark Cuban first bought the Mavericks. He spent lavishly and made some comment to the effect of "I'm having a great time and don't care if I lose $40 million a year." As a friend of mine said, I don't care how much money you have, losing $40 million a year gets tiresome very fast. Cuban had a fire sale of player contracts within a couple of years.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool for racing fans, and as has been pointed out, it's created interest at a usually slow time of the year ( outside of the TC preps ). It's not a bad thing for fans, that's for sure. I enjoy watching the race and it's usually a really fun card. Nothing wrong with that.
thinair

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:33 am

stark wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am
Hey Little Andy,
Fuck you and all your troll comments.

Nuff said.
I think the "you can dish it out but you can't take it" line fits here.
Mylute

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:55 am

I don't think either of you know what "troll" means.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
ElPrado2

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am

Oh wow.....
We're up to 6 maybe's.
Somnambulist

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am
That being said, I could never be convinced to actually attend the event, and it strikes me as yet another example of how racing fans are being priced out of the game in favor of people with deep pocketbooks and an endless desire to drink outdoors. I don't know if that model- or the model of the race itself- is sustainable... but I guess it works for NYRA, considering what the Belmont has become in the past few years. Wait and see, I guess.
People getting wasting at sporting events isn't exclusive to NYRA. I should probably even remove sport events. Casual alcoholism is rampant. Although I read some article a few months ago about how much whiskey they drank in the 1880s... I think it came out to about 3 750ml bottles of Jack a week per person. We're slacking, I guess. At least they haven't opened up the infield.

The middle class being pushed out of events is a good topic that is never brought up. The dichotomy between any of these tracks on a big day vs. a regular one almost makes the increase in price feel offensive. I'm still waiting for NYRA to summon me for their focus groups on the Belmont reno! But really I don't really mind giving NYRA my money for the Belmont because they moved so many stakes onto that card. While I might have gone to Belmont 3-4 times during the Spring meet the money probably evens out for the Belmont alone. But, I live local and don't need to pay for a hotel.

Is this new, though? I remember reading Seabiscuit (15 years ago lol) and it routinely being mentioned how he was filling the cheap seats, which really weren't in great viewing areas. Hopefully I'm not confusing what actually was written in the book with what was said in the movie.