Retrospectiv

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Curtis wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm
Retrospectiv wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Curtis wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

And evidently Matthew Cheng is not Big Ten.........
He's definitely not. He's banned from the forum....
Oh, I’m aware......he somehow found me on Facebook. He actually wants me to pass a message on to you. He’s found me other places as well. I’m starting to think I know what it’s like to be Trevor Denman.😉
I swear he copied everyone's usernames from the TBC FB page before I finally blocked him.
And yes, he used to private message me to pass along messages to Stark and others here on the forum.
I finally put the kibosh to that foolishness...
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
stark

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Many thanks!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Squeaky

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Richard Migliore is covering the sales in MD as per his Twitter feed- I wonder who he is working for now?
peeptoad

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 am

sweettalk wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -secretary

now they need a racing secretary, too. the hell is going on over there??
The TDN article actually states that Hammerle was fired. I do wonder what is going on out there, but there seem to be many changes being made for the upcoming meet and CA racing, not just limited to SA.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sa ... g-changes/

edit: wrong article link
stark

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am

No need to wonder......Ritvo was quoted as saying "we are going to be making changes, those that are willing to be a team member and embrace change will be a part of it, those who resist will not"

or something to that effect.

Still time for popcorn, sit back and watch Santa Anita evolve into Gulfstream West by Northwest.
Catalina

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm

stark wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am
No need to wonder......Ritvo was quoted as saying "we are going to be making changes, those that are willing to be a team member and embrace change will be a part of it, those who resist will not"

or something to that effect.

Still time for popcorn, sit back and watch Santa Anita evolve into Gulfstream West.
And those that were willing but unsuccessful at whatever the next brainstorm is, will then also get their walking papers because their name and face will be tainted by that failure, whether it was any fault of theirs or not. Of course, lack of finding a miracle cure will eventually also have the wolves snapping at Mr. Ritvo's heels.

But it's probably an academic problem, because how much hotter can the weather get before it's too hot for horses to race outside...
Sparrow Castle

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Folks are getting restless...

David Meah@RiderDavey
Still no racing Secretary @santaanitapark? People have horses that are on vets list & are being told to ship them to Los Al to work off the list because there’s no racing Secretary yet? Personally as an owner/husband to a trainer & lover of horses think this is beyond ridiculous
11:45 AM - 7 Dec 2018

Justin Zayat Verified account@JustinZayat
7h7 hours ago
Replying to @RiderDavey @santaanitapark
I’m with you! What about the “ship and stay” program. Why the change from 2017 where 20% split between owner and trainer. Now only 10% to the trainer. Is my trainer or track going to pay my shipping across country!! What about the owners!

Vito Casucci @IdealinVegas
6h6 hours ago
I thought the same thing. For small time owners like myself every dollar counts. Not happy ☹️

Christopher Ado @christopherado
Replying to @RiderDavey @santaanitapark
One hundred percent agree David. Having a condition book doesn’t solve the day to day issues that @AwayTheyGo and team was able to resolve.

https://twitter.com/RiderDavey/status/1 ... 5215919104
stark

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Rumor central....

From behind the scenes, track maintenance foreman Dennis Moore is now looking for work?
stark

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:57 pm

ARCADIA, Calif. (Dec. 22, 2018)–Santa Anita Park has announced highly respected Canadian racing official Steve Lym will become the track’s Vice President and Racing Secretary as the track readies for its 82nd Winter Meet opening day this Wednesday, Dec. 26.

Steeped in the Thoroughbred business from childhood, Lym served as Woodbine Racecourse’s Racing Secretary from 2003 through 2013 and as their Director of Racing from 2013 until just recently.

https://www.santaanita.com/press-releas ... B7cmFxKjIV
stark

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

'Racing!' Michael Wrona 'associated with a brand-new project'
Arizona Downs has landed one of the world’s preeminent race-callers in naming Michael Wrona the announcer when live horse racing returns to the region for the first time in a decade.

Arizona Downs will run both thoroughbred and quarter horse racing May 24 through Labor Day, Sept. 2.

“In this year of exploring fresh opportunities, it seems fitting to become associated with a brand-new project,” Wrona said. “The racing industry is contracting in so many ways, so everybody should be supportive of a new track. There’s an air of anticipation and excitement surrounding Arizona Downs, and I’m looking forward to helping launch this new venture.”

The Australian-born Wrona, who has called races at American tracks from coast to coast as well as overseas, is familiar with Arizona racing, having been the announcer at Phoenix’s Turf Paradise for the 1999-2000 season.

“This will be a chance to experience a different part of Arizona, a much-more comfortable part of Arizona in the summer months,” he said. “I’ve only driven through there once or twice in one of my many treks across the country, but I’m quite looking forward to spending some time there.”
More: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... Downs_123#
stark

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Michael Wrona has been named the full-time track announcer @ Los Alamitos starting with the opening night of the Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred season on Friday, December 27, 2019.
He will be replacing the retiring Ed Burgart.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 pm

I'd read that Wrona was going to call at Kentucky Downs, although that's only a five-day boutique meet. But IIRC he also was slated to call at Oaklawn Park starting with their next meet. Will he be able to work there AND be a full-time caller at Los Al? :?
stark

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
I'd read that Wrona was going to call at Kentucky Downs, although that's only a five-day boutique meet. But IIRC he also was slated to call at Oaklawn Park starting with their next meet. Will he be able to work there AND be a full-time caller at Los Al? :?
LosAl is pretty much a year-round operation with the quarter horses. Plus he'll be doing double duty when then big horses come to town. Big shoes to fill replacing Ed Burgart as he was also the morning line maker and the voice on TVG promoting his handicapping selections and the note taker of morning workouts and .....and..... and..... several hats if he wears them all!
MySaladDays

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:42 am

Catalina wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 am

Well, if they want the new people as the "face of Santa Anita", they would have to up their pay quite a bit, I would think, to cover the dark periods. Or, are they planning to race the whole year? I can see where driving Del Mar and Los Alamitos out of business would appeal to Stronach.
More importantly, if they want horses, they better do something because those 4-6 horse fields aren't exactly enticing. And it was like that before all this SA stuff went down. I stopped wagering CA races 3 years ago.
MySaladDays

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:50 am

peeptoad wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 am
The TDN article actually states that Hammerle was fired.
Pretty sure Oaklawn picked him up now.
Delamont

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:29 am

stark wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
LosAl is pretty much a year-round operation with the quarter horses. Plus he'll be doing double duty when then big horses come to town. Big shoes to fill replacing Ed Burgart as he was also the morning line maker and the voice on TVG promoting his handicapping selections and the note taker of morning workouts and .....and..... and..... several hats if he wears them all!
I'll miss Ed Burgart! He was always great to listen to.
luvsgeldings

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 am

yeah Ed B is just so great - I think he was going to retire last year - but somehow got talked into staying around another year - so I am sure he is ready to go now - will miss him for sure - but so very happy for Wrona! so glad he is back in SoCal (really wish he was still at Santa Anita though).
stark

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 am

Michael Wrona
‏@Michael_Wrona

In answer to some queries about the Morning Line duties @losalracing - I can confirm that @qheddie will continue his impeccable work as part of an “independent contractor” role. Fabulous news for all fans of Quarter Horse racing.
Vandalay

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Speaking as someone who was employed in the broadcast industry for some 30+ years, abrupt firings and "going in a different direction" are scenarios I'm too familiar with. My professional opinion? Wrona is a much more precise, entertaining announcer than Mihramahdi. To me the only upgrade for SA would be A) if Denman returned, or B) they hired Travis Stone.