Uh, Wrona was just fired

User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:39 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:47 am
Frank Mirahmadi....

https://www.drf.com/news/frank-mirahmad ... -announcer
Mirahmadi's been filling in at NYRA.
User avatar
Retrospectiv
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Starine wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm
Retrospectiv wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 pm
Northport wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm
Well, that is a pretty frank, though unnecessary, tweet.

I don't mind his calls. Though I know one person who will be thrilled with this announcement.
Seriously......that was the 1st thing I thought of sadly.

Here's your big chance MHRC!! :D
Is it wrong that this made me laugh? :lol:
:P
Hey guys, I have an announcement. I will be applying for the horse racing announcing job at Santa Anita, and I need permission from the staff at that racetrack in order to apply for the job that I want. https://soundcloud.com/…/my-race-call-o ... -breeders-…. Anyway, wish me good luck. Thanks.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
peeptoad
Posts: 2779
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Starine wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:29 pm
Someone in the comments section insists that he is being ousted in favor of Mirahmadi.
Well, they were right... hopefully the person(s) insisting that the downhill turf course will also be closed aren't also right.
Rick1323
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Enough with mumble mouth accents. I haven't fully understood a So Cal call in 20 years.....an American, any American......racing is hard enough.
Everyone come home sound.....
luvsgeldings
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm

what a crappy thing to do to wrona - they dump him and his fine work, to bring back the guy who didn't win the job originally - that just stinks in my opinion - and frank M is not even close to being as good a race caller as wrona - how do you explain this decision to wrona? shame on santa anita - I was never a big fan of mirahmadi - nothing special about his calls, he gets stuff wrong plenty of times - and those impersonations he does, not funny or witty in any way - horrible horrible decision by santa anita.

getting rid of the Mig and wrona are just bad in my opinion - two of the classiest guys out there.


I feel so badly for wrona - he was just thrilled when he got the job - bought a house here and everything - I thought he was fun to listen to.... I am really sad for him.


and by the way..... how long did santa anita have this whole thing planned - premeditated I am sure - and I wonder when frank M found out. I doubt he just found out about it today. what a load of garbage.
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:00 pm

They probably want Mirahmadi because the impressions will make him the Santa Anita Funnyman™.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Mylute wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:00 pm
They probably want Mirahmadi because the impressions will make him the Santa Anita Funnyman™.
He really doesn’t do impressions all that often.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:13 pm

you know.... I agree with you MyLute - that's probably what they are thinking - but frank M is not the best guy for that either - they want a stage performer now, not a good solid race caller? - I don't get it.... frank m's impressions were never that great - he is not funny or witty - wrona packed in more wit off-the-cuff in his spontaneous race calls, than frank has ever done in premeditated impersonation race calls - ugh - I am sick for wrona - its all just so wrong, someone had this planned well in advance - - bad enough my husband and I hardly go to santa anita anymore... now I won't be listening to the race calls much either.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:26 pm

just seems like they made this change in such an underhand sort of way - santa anita obviously had decided to give frank M the job before wrona even knew his job was in jeopardy - not a good way to treat a nice man like wrona - blindside him like that.... he had no clue - tells you a lot about the people who are running things at santa anita now.
Catalina
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:45 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm
what a crappy thing to do to wrona - they dump him and his fine work, to bring back the guy who didn't win the job originally - that just stinks in my opinion - and frank M is not even close to being as good a race caller as wrona - how do you explain this decision to wrona? shame on santa anita - I was never a big fan of mirahmadi - nothing special about his calls, he gets stuff wrong plenty of times - and those impersonations he does, not funny or witty in any way - horrible horrible decision by santa anita.

getting rid of the Mig and wrona are just bad in my opinion - two of the classiest guys out there.
Maybe classy isn;t what they want for their new direction.
Last edited by Catalina on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
peeptoad
Posts: 2779
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm
what a crappy thing to do to wrona - they dump him and his fine work, to bring back the guy who didn't win the job originally - that just stinks in my opinion - and frank M is not even close to being as good a race caller as wrona - how do you explain this decision to wrona? shame on santa anita - I was never a big fan of mirahmadi - nothing special about his calls, he gets stuff wrong plenty of times - and those impersonations he does, not funny or witty in any way - horrible horrible decision by santa anita.

getting rid of the Mig and wrona are just bad in my opinion - two of the classiest guys out there.


I feel so badly for wrona - he was just thrilled when he got the job - bought a house here and everything - I thought he was fun to listen to.... I am really sad for him.


and by the way..... how long did santa anita have this whole thing planned - premeditated I am sure - and I wonder when frank M found out. I doubt he just found out about it today. what a load of garbage.
It does stink, I agree. And it's not a nice way of letting someone go, but I don't think CA is a "right to work" state, which may be why his firing was possible in this manner. MA is the same way. I'm not in a union at my job and considered an "at will" employee, which means I could come in tomorrow and have no job. Even though I've been with my organization for more than a decade and have gotten accolades and positive work reviews, etc.

edit: also does anyone think that "being the face of the track" might mean "additional job duties for the same pay"? Maybe not... too much speculation.
stark
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Let's all be careful when referring to management's action as a firing, a blindside shot, not fair to a nice guy etc.

The man had a contract and it was due to expire this month and one of the parties decided not to renew it, pretty simple.

As for FrankM and his newly expanded role, I expect that he will do a fair amount of handicapping between races. He demonstrated his ability on TVG and right or wrong it keeps viewers involved and maybe even induces a wager or two or three.

Fairly certain that Wrona, much like Denman, would not be receptive to handicapping races if given the chance as they've both indicated it's not their forte on numerous occasions.

Frank has never seen a race he couldn't bet on or a pizza he didn't like.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1681
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm

"Expanded role?" Well, they're certainly getting an expanded waistline.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4208
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:42 pm

stark wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm
Fairly certain that Wrona, much like Denman, would not be receptive to handicapping races if given the chance as they've both indicated it's not their forte on numerous occasions.
Should have gone with Vic Stauffer then. Miss his calls and he loves to handicap. ;)
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm
"Expanded role?" Well, they're certainly getting an expanded waistline.
Now, there’s a classy blow below or perhaps at the belt.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Starine wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:42 pm
stark wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm
Fairly certain that Wrona, much like Denman, would not be receptive to handicapping races if given the chance as they've both indicated it's not their forte on numerous occasions.
Should have gone with Vic Stauffer then. Miss his calls and he loves to handicap. ;)
Given the way Goof was relieved of his position at Gulfstream, I don’t see that happening.
peeptoad
Posts: 2779
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 am

stark wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm
Let's all be careful when referring to management's action as a firing, a blindside shot, not fair to a nice guy etc.

The man had a contract and it was due to expire this month and one of the parties decided not to renew it, pretty simple.
My mistake : he was laid off, not fired.
Contracts are what they are. Wrona seemed legitimately shocked that he was let go. One would think he knew his contract was expiring, and a lay off was a possibility.

I like Frank though; he's a good announcer imho.
djnorth
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 am

I don't really have a problem with either announcer but it seems like Wrona was a little blindsided. Don't know if the others (especially Mig) had a clue they weren't being renewed. I'm a Migliore fan. He's good for the game and would make a good "face of" even though he's not a race caller.

SA/ Stronach has a reputation for that though don't they? Didn't Chris McCarron leave after a short time working for them? It could be in part that SA was McCarron's first post-riding job and he wasn't sure what he was looking for, but it seems that group is quick to pull the release lever. Don't know if that pre-dates Ritvo or not.

Speaking of post-riding, wonder where Gary Stevens will head this time?
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 am

djnorth wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 am
I don't really have a problem with either announcer but it seems like Wrona was a little blindsided. Don't know if the others (especially Mig) had a clue they weren't being renewed. I'm a Migliore fan. He's good for the game and would make a good "face of" even though he's not a race caller.

SA/ Stronach has a reputation for that though don't they? Didn't Chris McCarron leave after a short time working for them? It could be in part that SA was McCarron's first post-riding job and he wasn't sure what he was looking for, but it seems that group is quick to pull the release lever. Don't know if that pre-dates Ritvo or not.

Speaking of post-riding, wonder where Gary Stevens will head this time?
I'd like to see him try his hand at training with a small stable or doing what Jerry Bailey and Donna Brothers do and be on the TV.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 am
I'd like to see him try his hand at training with a small stable
Been there, done that.
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... eID=268993
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply