Uh, Wrona was just fired

stark

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm

So, when Ritvo says the game has changed and we're going in a new direction, I believe him, just look around and compare it to the Durkin days of olde when most every patron was at the track in person!

Racetracks are in the profit making business. But today, one of the primary competitors doesn't even have any stalls or horses, it's TVG!

Has to upset folks like Stronach to see so much money funneled their way with a carnival barker named Shrupp at the helm.

Fight fire with fire, hire a handicapper who can call a race and be a TV personality, makes perfect sense to me if the customers will just open an Xpressbet account and bet a few P-4s.

And yes, goofy Vic would have been a logical choice too, but he wants too many weekends off to play in the big tournaments :lol:
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
katmandu

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm

djnorth wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 am
Don't know if the others (especially Mig) had a clue they weren't being renewed. I'm a Migliore fan. He's good for the game and would make a good "face of" even though he's not a race caller.
Richard Migliore has a lot of class and is very good, hopefully he's back somewhere soon.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:53 pm

I've always wondered about the value of what Harvey Pack used to call the "pre-race prattle" to the simulcast customer. I do my own handicapping, and if I'm around other people watching simulcasts, they're doing their own handicapping as well. It's a rare occasion when Andy Serling or Acacia Courtney or Ron Nicoletti or any other analyst ever says anything that causes us to lift our eyes from our Forms or laptops or smart phones. Since newbies seldom frequent simulcast sites and on-track attendance keeps declining, having one person analyze and call the races is probably the logical -- and cost-efficient -- way to go.
stark

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm all for a little pre-race prattle and in fact don't quite understand those that shun it. The key is to find a public figure that compliments your own preferred style of handicapping. If you like the speed and fade angle, then MattyC might be your guy. If you like the sheet numbers, JonHardoon will land a couple of price horses for you. If you prefer a course expert, then AndyC is the guy that puts more time into just one circuit than anybody. And speaking of AndyC, gotta wonder if he could call a race over the mic as he's got all the rest of the job requirements down pat including public seminars at Saratoga.

I know guys who invest in the stock market on a daily basis and wouldn't think of dipping their toes in without a little helpful advice from somebody, why shouldn't it be the same for playing the ponies?

And of course, I know you're a better handicapper than most every talking head on TV, but just maybe a lass like Britney Eurton or Christina Blacker will land on a little gossip from the barn and decide to share it on-air, they are both pretty well connected imo.
8596yeloow

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Mirahmadi calls the Aqueduct races this year. He is an excellant race caller.
Also, Mirahmadi was a "guest handicapper" with Andy Seling this summer in NY on "Talking Horses" He is also very good as a handicapper , and has a nice personality. I can understand why SA wants him. Don't know much about Wrona so cannot comment except to say Mirahmadi is an "approachable type.
I
Diver52

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Curtis wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 pm
Diver52 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm
"Expanded role?" Well, they're certainly getting an expanded waistline.
Now, there’s a classy blow below or perhaps at the belt.
Hey, there's just more of him to love!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Hey, there's just more of him to love!
Careful, amongst other issues he has a weak heart.
thinair

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 pm

8596yeloow wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm
Mirahmadi calls the Aqueduct races this year. He is an excellant race caller.
Also, Mirahmadi was a "guest handicapper" with Andy Seling this summer in NY on "Talking Horses" He is also very good as a handicapper , and has a nice personality. I can understand why SA wants him. Don't know much about Wrona so cannot comment except to say Mirahmadi is an "approachable type.
I
Frank is great and SA is lucky to have him. Just to clarify a couple of things....Frank called last Winter at Aqueduct as well as this year through 12/16. He was never on Talking Horses with me in Saratoga but was at Aqueduct last Winter. He will be making one appearance this year in December. I will be happy to share the date when I get the December schedule. It can only be one of a few days as I am out a lot this month. I have requested at least one appearance with Frank as I love the mutual abuse.

Frank will be great at Santa Anita. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think he will be doing a lot of handicapping there. I find that unlikely but I'm wrong a lot.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I'm all for a little pre-race prattle and in fact don't quite understand those that shun it. The key is to find a public figure that compliments your own preferred style of handicapping. If you like the speed and fade angle, then MattyC might be your guy. If you like the sheet numbers, JonHardoon will land a couple of price horses for you. If you prefer a course expert, then AndyC is the guy that puts more time into just one circuit than anybody. And speaking of AndyC, gotta wonder if he could call a race over the mic as he's got all the rest of the job requirements down pat including public seminars at Saratoga.

I know guys who invest in the stock market on a daily basis and wouldn't think of dipping their toes in without a little helpful advice from somebody, why shouldn't it be the same for playing the ponies?

And of course, I know you're a better handicapper than most every talking head on TV, but just maybe a lass like Britney Eurton or Christina Blacker will land on a little gossip from the barn and decide to share it on-air, they are both pretty well connected imo.
Oh heck no, I'm a mediocre handicapper at best, but a stubborn one who'd rather dope out the occasional big ticket by myself than take advice. If I were more than a weekend $5 and $10 player, I'd probably be more inclined to soak up analysis.
stark

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:43 am

thinair wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 pm
I'm not sure why everyone seems to think he will be doing a lot of handicapping there. I find that unlikely but I'm wrong a lot.

I was just filling in the blanks from Ritvo's job description where he said the new guy would be more involved, an opportunity to do additional things that weren't offered to Wrona, handicapping seemed pretty logical to me.

I seriously doubt FrankM will be doing any emergency re-shoeing in the paddock area.
Maybe he could assist with the cooking demonstration from the Eddie Logan suites.
Why not valet parking.....the guy there with the greasy slicked back hair has been there at least 50 years +/-.
Bartender? the guy with the patch over one eye must be due for retirement soon.
Assistant Steward? Lord knows they need some help in that room.
Clerk of Scales? probably not such a good idea for him to try telling KentD he's 2 pounds over.
Publicity assistant? he can have second chair to MikeWilman on the Sunday morning radio 2 hour show.
Infield director of Food Trucks and Micro-brew festivals.
All other duties as assigned to complete daily goals and objectives.
Diver52

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:43 pm

It's OT but I saw John Shear on duty at SA in October. Well, he was sitting on a bench, but in uniform! Stopped to chat for a minute. Wonderful guy--he let me into the paddock at Hollywood Park once to put flowers on Native Diver's grave.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Not OT at all
Frank could sit on a bench if that's what Ritvo wants
May he and John both live to be 100 healthy and happy
Big Ten

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 am

WTF?

I don't like that. I enjoy Wrona. I love Santa Anita but I don't know what's going on over there with their management after reading those comments.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
stark

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm glad to see that the LA Times John Cherwa reads this forum before writing his articles.

Excerpt from today's entry.....

If you look at Santa Anita’s decision to change programs, which is under discussion for the upcoming meeting, Stronach racing boss Tim Ritvo wanted to get more betting information in front of the public. The more you think you know, the more you might bet, the more you bet, the more the track makes.

I think you can expect to see Frank at handicapping seminars, meeting, greeting and talking with customers about picking winners. Although, as we reported on Monday, he says particulars about what his marketing role will be is not yet defined.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la- ... a-81971101
Curtis

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

stark wrote:
I'm glad to see that the LA Times John Cherwa reads this forum before writing his articles.

If you look at Santa Anita’s decision to change programs, which is under discussion for the upcoming meeting, Stronach racing boss Tim Ritvo wanted to get more betting information in front of the public. The more you think you know, the more you might bet, the more you bet, the more the track makes.

I think you can expect to see Frank at handicapping seminars, meeting, greeting and talking with customers about picking winners. Although, as we reported on Monday, he says particulars about what his marketing role will be is not yet defined.

And evidently Matthew Cheng is not Big Ten.........
Retrospectiv

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:

He's definitely not. He's banned from the forum....
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
stark

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Curtis

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:

He's definitely not. He's banned from the forum....
Oh, I’m aware......he somehow found me on Facebook. He actually wants me to pass a message on to you. He’s found me other places as well. I’m starting to think I know what it’s like to be Trevor Denman.😉
sweettalk

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -secretary

now they need a racing secretary, too. the hell is going on over there??