Maryland, My Oh My, Maryland

stark

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 pm

The Maryland Stadium Authority's completed study about the future of Pimlico Race Course, expected to be released in full Dec. 13, will lay out a plan that includes the demolishing and rebuilding of the Baltimore racetrack at a price tag of $424 million, according to an undated press release published on the MSA website.

The demolition of the racetrack, according to the press release, would include "all existing structures on the site." The rebuilt track would feature a dirt course of 15/16ths of a mile (Pimlico's main track is currently one mile), and the turf course would stay at seven-eighths. The release said the track's "realignment is necessary to accommodate potential non-racing land use around the perimeter of the site" and said the changes were "reviewed and approved by (the Maryland Jockey Club/The Stronach Group) and the Maryland Racing Commission."

continue reading @ https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... lt-pimlico
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Northport

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

If the Stronach Group has publicly stated that they do not want to renovate a facility that they own, does that make it the government's problem? I've read about how taxpayer dollars are spent on baseball, football, etc. stadiums... has a situation like this occurred before for a Thoroughbred racetrack in North America?

With Ritvo stating that the only thing keeping Pimlico going is the Preakness... $424,000,000 seems like a lot of money to spend for one day of racing, when Laurel has been touted as a (better) alternative.
weeeeeeeee
Senator L

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 pm

I doubt they can resolve this until Stronach v.s. Stronach is concluded.
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
the olline rebel

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 pm

"The study envisions a partitioning of the land owned by the track to enable redevelopment of portions of the property for residential, retail, and commercial uses"

I thought I heard on the radio that they'd be "redeveloping" some of the surrounding area.

Pimlico is cramped enough without shoving more stuff in there. It NEEDS MORE SPACE, and a buffer zone from the "depressed neighborhood".

The "depressed neighborhood" (i.e., crime-ridden welfare zone) is what KEEPS PEOPLE FROM GOING, primarily. That includes the horsemen. Why hang around a place where shots are being fired, especially with horses? If they could somehow get more land and create a buffer (nothing across Northern Pkwy really needed), it might actually do better. The question is how to buy up that land.

If not, I suggest moving to Laurel, which has much more room anyway. Too bad for Baltimore - but they made their bed, lie in it. I can't see how it would be super expensive to simply hold the Preakness there, compared to spending gazillions for whatever plan they have.
peeptoad

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:17 pm

...at a price tag of $424 million...
Ugh.
Insane Crazy

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 pm

I would rather see them invest that money in, you know, reinvigorating the neighborhoods around Pimlico than saving a track that doesn't need to be saved. I asked my Baltimore-area family about this on a recent visit -- they would all rather see infrastructure, community support, and opportunity improvements to help the depressed neighborhoods themselves than anything else. This seems like the only way to, you know, keep the neighborhood even viable as a racetrack location in the long term.

I'd hate to see a classic track go down, but yeesh. The priorities here seem skewed.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
stark

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.