Santa Anita 2019

Tessablue

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:13 am

I'm watching through my fingers on Saturday, if at all. At this point it's unfair to both the horses and the industry that they are still racing. Ritvo has said that if they shut down now they'll never reopen, but national stories burn themselves out and they'd have a comparatively clean slate in the fall. Plus, they'd have actual time to discuss and implement things instead of this slapdash nonsense. And most importantly... no more horses endangered by the track.

It's just so emotionally exhausting, all of it.
Diver52

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't remember--why was no serious thought given to moving the dates to Los Al? Or was there? I vaguely recall that it would have required some lag time but surely if both parties agreed to the shift. . .?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Diver52 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm
I don't remember--why was no serious thought given to moving the dates to Los Al? Or was there? I vaguely recall that it would have required some lag time but surely if both parties agreed to the shift. . .?
Money
stark

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:04 pm

LosAl offered.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:59 pm

stark wrote:
LosAl offered.
I’m sure they did........for what % of the handle?
stark

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:
LosAl offered.
They can't change state regulations just because.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Also, LosAl has no turf course, so maybe half the races Santa Anita cards would not be run. That means half the racing stock sitting in the barn...or shipping out of town. Hard times for all the backstretch workers and vendors. :(
Dusty

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 am
I hope the LA Rams are going to be happy.
We sure could use Hollywood Park right about now.
AMEN - we sure could!
May they run with the WIND
Catalina

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Tessablue wrote:
I'm watching through my fingers on Saturday, if at all. At this point it's unfair to both the horses and the industry that they are still racing. Ritvo has said that if they shut down now they'll never reopen, but national stories burn themselves out and they'd have a comparatively clean slate in the fall. Plus, they'd have actual time to discuss and implement things instead of this slapdash nonsense. And most importantly... no more horses endangered by the track.

It is.

If they shut down now they'll never reopen??? What does Ritvo think will happen if they don't shut down and fix things now (aka the track), and instead have more fatalities?
stark

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Catalina wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:23 pm
Tessablue wrote:

It is.

If they shut down now they'll never reopen??? What does Ritvo think will happen if they don't shut down and fix things now (aka the track), and instead have more fatalities?
They don't know what to fix.
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Also, LosAl has no turf course, so maybe half the races Santa Anita cards would not be run. That means half the racing stock sitting in the barn...or shipping out of town. Hard times for all the backstretch workers and vendors. :(
They could send the turf horses to GGF. Nothing is impossible.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Or they know what to fix and just don't want to do it? We haven't seen the necropsy reports, but they have.

Listen to the interview with Gary Stevens. If you don't want to listen to the whole hour, skip to about minute 25 for the whip discussion. But don't miss what Gary says about the track condition in the later parts of the podcast. Maybe we've found our new national commissioner. ;)

Gary Stevens@GStevens_jockey
17h17 hours ago
Gary Stevens Retweeted Ted Sobel
After a 40 year career I figured @santaanitapark @caCHRB or TSG would have asked my humble opinion..... Nope but they forwarded this interview request to me so here it is.

Podcast: https://bleav.com/podcast/episode-2-mak ... nta-anita/

Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/GStevens_jockey/sta ... 4309397509
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:
LosAl offered.
They can't change state regulations just because.
Couldn't the good Dr. Allred lease Los Al to Team Stronach?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Santa Anita jockeys to race without whips April 12
Jockeys will not use or carry whips in races on April 12 at Santa Anita as part of a one-day experiment that foreshadows the expected implementation of a state rule later this year that largely bans the use of the whip in races.

In a one-page letter sent Friday, the Jockeys’ Guild informed the California Horse Racing Board, Santa Anita management, and the leadership of the Thoroughbred Owners of California of the plan.

Citing an existing CHRB rule, the letter states jockeys “are not required to carry a riding crop. Individual jockeys who regularly ride at Santa Anita have elected not to carry the cushioned riding crop during the entire race day card on Friday, April 12.”

This is believed to be the first day of racing at Santa Anita in which riders will not carry whips.

The letter urged track management to inform the viewing public of the situation throughout the April 12 program.

“Please be assured that the jockeys will do everything within their ability and power to achieve best possible placing for their horses, with the safety for the horse and rider being paramount,” the letter stated.

The letter was signed by jockeys John Velazquez and Mike Smith, who are co-chairman of the guild, and president Terry Meyocks. Smith is based at Santa Anita.

Darrell Haire, the western regional manager of the Jockeys’ Guild, said “the riders are onboard” with the experiment.

“Everyone will be the same,” he said. “We’ll talk to everyone when they come back from the races.”
More: https://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-jo ... s/all-news
stark

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Once upon a time, weren't their baby races where jocks didn't carry whips?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Hovdey: Beychok advises to be proactive in crisis
Michael Beychok, the 2012 Eclipse Award Handicapper of the Year, was in Northern California earlier this week participating in a conference of crisis management experts on the topic of natural disasters. His mind, not surprisingly, kept wandering to horse racing, and the current crisis faced by the industry over the rash of equine fatalities this winter at Santa Anita.

“There are so many parallels,” Beychok said. “And the industry, as a whole, is handling this about as poorly as it can.”

When he is not betting the horses, racing a small stable, or advocating for Thoroughbred aftercare, Beychok plays high-stakes politics through his firm, Ourso Beychok, Inc., of Baton Rouge, La. Its specialty is direct-mail campaigns for Democratic candidates, which is a focus right now in Louisiana’s gubernatorial contest.

Racing, though, is Beychok’s first love. His heart is breaking for what has happened at Santa Anita this winter, just as his head is aching over the sport’s fumbling reaction to the public and political outcry.

“I spoke with people at the NTRA the day after Santa Anita first went on hiatus,” Beychok said. “James Carville actually called me before that and was willing to help tackle the situation. But they weren’t really interested.”

That would be James Carville, the guy who ran two successful presidential campaigns.

“The reaction was, ‘Let Santa Anita handle it,’ and I don’t know why,” Beychok said. “This is an industry-wide crisis, a real tipping point, and if you don’t get out in front of it early, you’re in trouble.”

Racing, though, has faced several such crises in the past and somehow made it through to the other side.

“You can’t compare it even to the breakdowns at NYRA in 2012,” Beychok said, referring to a spate of fatalities that prompted national attention and local reforms. “Basically, the environment in which news is able to travel and disseminate is so much faster now to so many more people in a short period of time. And let’s face it, bad news is a lot sexier than good news.”

True enough. But today’s information cycle is so brief, and outrage so fleeting, isn’t it possible that the fallout from the Santa Anita situation soon will be old news when the next hot topic comes along?

“No,” Beychok replied. “Because a horse is going to die on the track in the next two weeks. That’s just the nature of our business. Every time there is a death on the track there will be another story, and the old news will be ramped up to make it seem almost new again.”

(Readers may pause here for a depressing sigh of resignation.)

Investigations are ongoing into the circumstances surrounding the Santa Anita fatalities – all but a couple of the necropsies have been completed – but the one apparent common factor among the fatalities was training and racing over sealed surfaces during several windows of time during the heavy storms of January and February.
More: https://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-beychok ... ive-crisis
Spahny

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:38 pm

I'll take 3-1 on Instagrand 2nd off the layoff is the SA Derby. And Nolo Contesto is very interesting at 6-1.

And so I don't seem completely anti-Baffy I do like Flor de La Mar for an upset in the Oaks.

I don't agree with closing down the downhill course. Over reaction. The course is not unsafe.
Starine

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Spahny wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:38 pm
I'll take 3-1 on Instagrand 2nd off the layoff is the SA Derby. And Nolo Contesto is very interesting at 6-1.

And so I don't seem completely anti-Baffy I do like Flor de La Mar for an upset in the Oaks.

I don't agree with closing down the downhill course. Over reaction. The course is not unsafe.
I like Flor de La Mar too. And I agree: Closing the downhill course doesn't make much sense.
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:22 pm

There have been a number of horses prop and shift at the dirt crossing. I guess I still have flashbacks to Pincay’s last ride. Are there actually factual numbers that illustrate as to how many horses have went wrong at the dirt crossing compared to races run exclusively on the dirt or turf in terms of percentages? If not, we’re just guessing. Del Mar had a sinkhole for years at app. the 1/4 pole. There were problems there both in the morning and afternoon. I would unconsciously tense up when horses came to that area. I do the same thing at the dirt crossing during those 6.5f races. Again, it may just seem worse and there are obviously more variables at work.
Curtis

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:41 pm
Once upon a time, weren't their baby races where jocks didn't carry whips?
My father used to talk about 3f baby races at Santa Anita. He always swore they were run on the straight and he did mention there were no whips allowed. Now my Pop went back aways.....he saw Seabiscuit race several times. I used to ask him what life was like before the invention of the wheel and dirt. Who knows what tracks were made from then?😉