Santa Anita 2019

Big Ten

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:06 pm

When I found out Santa Anita closed a week ago, I was extremely disappointed. Now I won't go to the Santa Anita Derby because neither Game Winner and Improbable will be there.

Then again, it saved me a trip to go there coming from Anaheim. I really like what Los Alamitos has done for the horsemen out there. I only live like 12 minutes away from LosAl using Katella.

So now I see Improbable will be the 6-5 ML in this split, Rebel Stakes. Hmm.. Maybe. It has killed my anticipation for the Santa Anita preps.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Still making a distinction between the track and the weather...even while saying the weather impacted the track. I really don't like seeing them blame everything but the track. I think it highly likely the track is just fine when the weather is good. That the track can't handle a large amount of rain is a problem with the track. Belinda was there this morning and declined to be interviewed by DRF.

Main track reopens with 112 workers on Day 1
While the California racing industry held its collective breath, it was full speed ahead Wednesday morning on the main track at Santa Anita.

For the first time since last week, when the main track closed and racing was suspended, timed workouts took place Wednesday. It did not take long for Santa Anita to look much as it normally does after the track opens at 5 a.m. – racehorses running fast, working out at full speed.

Pointed, a 5-year-old maiden mare trained by Marsha Schwizer, posted the morning’s first workout, a half-mile in 49.20 seconds. Minutes later, the 6-year-old mare Be a Lady rolled through a half-mile in 48.40 for trainer Neil French.

Pointed and Be a Lady were among 112 horses that worked Wednesday on the main track. Another 84 horses worked on the training track, but most attention was on the main oval, where racing will resume March 22.

“I’ve been confident in this [main] track from the get-go,” trainer Mike Puype said Wednesday after the 6:30 a.m. renovation when he worked four horses. “To me, it’s never been a track problem. It’s been the bad weather.”

Santa Anita suspended racing following a March 5 morning-workout breakdown that resulted in the 21st equine fatality of the winter meet that began in late December. Southern California received unusually high rainfall this season, requiring the main track to be repeatedly sealed.

Over the past week, in dry weather, surface expert Dennis Moore and track superintendent Andy LaRocco continually re-examined the main track, and rototilled and harrowed it to ensure a proper mix of silt and clay (called fines). Fines help bind surface material, creating uniformity.

The main track opened Monday and Tuesday for jogging and galloping, workouts resumed Wednesday. Joe Talamo worked an unraced 3-year-old filly named Road Rager for trainer Brian Koriner. Talamo gave the surface a positive review.

“It felt great,” Talamo said. “But again, I’ve worked on it and raced on it [all winter] and it felt fine to me then. [Road Rager] galloped out really well, [the surface] was even throughout.”

A number of safety protocols initiated by Santa Anita in the wake of recent breakdowns include restricting the first 15 minutes following renovation to workers only. With fewer horses on the track during works, the risk of hazard declines. There are three morning renovation breaks, 6 to 6:30, 7:15 to 7:45, and 8:30 to 9.

Yet even after many main-track workouts are completed during the 15-minute window, horses that jog or gallop later occasionally get loose from handlers. When that happens, warning lights and a siren get triggered, the same warning as when a horse is pulled up with an injury.

When the warning went off at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday, observers tensed. An unidentified horse handled by retired Hall of Fame jockey Alex Solis unexpectedly veered outward at the top of the stretch, unseating Solis and getting loose. The horse took one lap around the oval and later was caught. Neither the horse nor Solis was injured.

That incident, and another loose horse 20 minutes later, reminded that nerves are on edge.
More: https://classic.drf.com/news/main-track ... kers-day-1
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 am

Brad Free
‏@BradFree1
Thursday 3/14

Regarding incident 6:45 a.m. this morning main track Santa Anita: Horse stumbled, not injured, vanned off. Incident unrelated to surface. Scary times, preliminary report positive. Full report later http://DRF.com .
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
MR-W

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:45 am

Big Ten wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:06 pm
When I found out Santa Anita closed a week ago, I was extremely disappointed. Now I won't go to the Santa Anita Derby because neither Game Winner and Improbable will be there.

Then again, it saved me a trip to go there coming from Anaheim. I really like what Los Alamitos has done for the horsemen out there. I only live like 12 minutes away from LosAl using Katella.

So now I see Improbable will be the 6-5 ML in this split, Rebel Stakes. Hmm.. Maybe. It has killed my anticipation for the Santa Anita preps.
I live in Huntington Beach and I see your point on the travel time. However, there is no comparison between the two tracks when it comes to the atmosphere and experience for a spectator. I have faith that the Santa Anita personnel will get the track problems remedied.
TouchOfGrey

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:01 pm

stark wrote:
Brad Free
‏@BradFree1
Thursday 3/14

Regarding incident 6:45 a.m. this morning main track Santa Anita: Horse stumbled, not injured, vanned off. Incident unrelated to surface. Scary times, preliminary report positive. Full report later http://DRF.com .
Update :cry: :
@BradFree1
20m20 minutes ago

http://Sad.to report Princess Lili B broke both front legs at conclusion of half-mile workout Thursday at Santa Anita. Euthanized. Somber mood trackside. Training will continue this morning.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:03 pm

stark wrote:
Brad Free
‏@BradFree1
Thursday 3/14

Well, that's good to hear. Just have one question - how were they able to determine that the incident was unrelated to surface???

ETA: Was that Princess Lili B 6:45 or in addition to Princess Lili B?
Last edited by Catalina on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm
Still making a distinction between the track and the weather...even while saying the weather impacted the track. I really don't like seeing them blame everything but the track. I think it highly likely the track is just fine when the weather is good. That the track can't handle a large amount of rain is a problem with the track. Belinda was there this morning and declined to be interviewed by DRF.
Then whenever the weather gets close to the point of too much rain, they will simply have to stop using that track. And it would behoove them to figure out what then - after dry weather resumes - needs to be done to bring the track back into safe operational status, in terms of both time as well as remedial "grooming" of the track.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:01 pm
stark wrote:
Brad Free
‏@BradFree1
Thursday 3/14

Update :cry: :
@BradFree1
20m20 minutes ago

http://Sad.to report Princess Lili B broke both front legs at conclusion of half-mile workout Thursday at Santa Anita. Euthanized. Somber mood trackside. Training will continue this morning.
It should be, very somber.
Curtis

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the new venue at Hollywood Park will be covered with a dome?
TouchOfGrey

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Catalina wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. :(
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm

And while Jeremy Balan tweeted a story late yesterday, still not sending tweets from his BH account. Are they going to blacklist Brad Free and the rest of DRF now? Disgusting turn of events. Don't fly in a 737 Max 8 and 9 now and don't let your horses train or race at SA.
ElPrado2

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

The story I got was an unraced 3 yr old broke both front legs. That was via the Paulick report.
CoronadosQuest

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Fox News Los Angeles was there filming when it happened... there is a video of the filly after she broke down and it is horrific. Santa Anita needs to close the track and stop letting horses train over it.

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/22 ... anita-park#/ is the article... don't watch the video, it is horrifying.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Catalina wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. :(
Apparently a separate event. Per DRF, Princess Lili B broke down at 8 am.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Part 2: Time for Jockey Club to Take Lead
By John Pricci with Mark Berner
To its credit, states that suffered a spate of catastrophic breakdowns in recent years have taken steps to address medication and safety issues. The problem is they are treating the symptom and not the root cause: Raceday medication.

Ending race-day medication is the key to cleaning up the Thoroughbred industry. All else is secondary. So, make that happen somehow, Jockey Club, and, while at it, tell the whole world what you’re doing. All of us could use some good PR.

And then racing will see that transparency is not such a bad thing after all.

The effect that eliminating raceday medication would have is the ability to see the industry heal itself naturally, organically, giving itself, and the perception of it, a healthy cleanse. And what could be greener than that?

From eliminating raceday medication and extending withdrawal deadlines, all good things will flow. Not immediately. In fact, initially, the process will be painfully slow and costly.

But doing the same-old, same-old is not an option. In fact, it would be the beginning of the end. An outraged public, spearheaded by animal rights activists, will win: Game over.

That dreaded and unnecessary scenario, post-Santa Anita 2019, is but a single high-profile breakdown away. So, industry, are you feeling lucky?
More: http://www.horseraceinsider.com/HRI-Fea ... /#comments
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Fox News Los Angeles was there filming when it happened... there is a video of the filly after she broke down and it is horrific. Santa Anita needs to close the track and stop letting horses train over it.

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/22 ... anita-park#/ is the article... don't watch the video, it is horrifying.
Thanks for the warning.

This horse had quite a few works at Santa Anita, I wonder how many of them were on the sealed track.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Interesting thread...

Drayden VanDyke @DraydenV
2h2 hours ago
Replying to @kaitlinefree
Not the surface. the quality of horses. Surface is good might be a tad hard but not the main problem trust me I’m on it
https://twitter.com/DraydenV/status/1106230356158513152
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Horse Racing Integrity Act Moves Forward
Representatives Paul Tonko and Andy Barr, co-chairs of the Congressional Horse Caucus, reintroduced H.R. 1754: the Horseracing Integrity Act today to establish a uniform national medication program, bringing the United States in line with international standards.

“Horseracing thrives when we put the majestic equine athlete front and center” Tonko said. “Our legislation creates a set of nationwide rules that are clear, consistent, and conflict-free. This will make horseracing safer for our equine athletes and jockeys while increasing confidence in the sport among the trainers, owners, horseplayers, and horseracing fans alike. This sport of kings has long supported good jobs and delivers billions of dollars in economic impact every year in my home state of New York and throughout the country. I am grateful to Congressman Barr for partnering with me on this common-sense legislation and look forward to advancing our measure through the House.”

“As the Representative for the Horse Capital of the World, I have the distinct honor of fighting for the future of this great American sport,” said Congressman Barr. “I continue to believe the prosperity of Kentucky’s signature horseracing industry depends on national uniform medication standards and testing procedures. I am proud to reintroduce this legislation with my friend and colleague, Congressman Tonko, and I look forward to building upon the great bipartisan work we secured last Congress, including more than 100 cosponsors, to ensure the safety and integrity of this sport is preserved for years to come.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ho ... s-forward/
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm

I'd like to add that the still photo of the filly shown at the lead of the Fox article is plenty gruesome all on its own. I really hope that she was given pain meds immediately while still on the track, even before her euthanization. :cry:
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Another horse dies at Santa Anita, one day after the main track reopens
Santa Anita Park suffered a 22nd horse fatality since Dec. 22 on Thursday morning just one day after the main track was reopened for training. The horse suffered a severe injury and was euthanized. A track spokesman said a “major corporate announcement” is expected before noon.
More: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... story.html