Santa Anita 2019

Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

No clear reason for ‘cluster’ of 2018 horse deaths at Churchill Downs
California’s Santa Anita track is open again for limited training but not racing.

Officials shut down operations last week after 21 horses suffered fatal injuries in less than 3 months.

The investigation is ongoing, but so far a clear cause has not emerged.

The case appears to be headed toward the same conclusion reached at a recent investigation at Churchill Downs.

In September, four horses suffered fatal injuries in four different races, over four consecutive days.

The investigation took months, but now no one can say why so many horses died in such a short period of time.

“These injuries, when they occur are multi-factoral,” Dr. Mary Scollay, Equine Medical Director for the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission said. “You’re never going to find one thing and say ‘a-ha that’s it.’”
More: http://www.wave3.com/2019/03/12/no-clea ... ill-downs/
Ioya Two

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Wow, that was Go For Wand bad, that video. How very sad for the filly. No idea how she managed to stand like that considering both front hooves were basically not connected.
Pulpit 1994-2012
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm

From that Fox News article: “If you can’t race this horse on this track, then you can’t race any of these horses,” Ritvo said.

What was he thinking!? Was he so obsessed with defending "his" track that he didn't consider how his quote could be used against horse racing in general?
The zealots will run with it, saying, 'See, Santa Anita's Tim Ritvo said that it's not safe to race any of these horses, so racing should be outlawed!'
:roll:
peeptoad

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:22 pm

PETA demonstrators are currently picketing outside the LA county DA's office. Can't say I blame them and I hate animal rights activists, for the most part.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

It's probably too late, but why oh why didn't he hire a crisis management/PR firm, since none of the national groups see that as their role?
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Amen to this. I'd say karma is a bitch except this is too awful for the innocents.

Jessica Chapel @railbird
21m21 minutes ago
Pondering a media strategy that forces the removal of a credible trade pub reporter from a major story while apparently letting a local news outfit set up a camera in a location that would allow them to capture images that will haunt for years.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm
The story I got was an unraced 3 yr old broke both front legs. That was via the Paulick report.
Two races, but still a maiden. Princess Lili B.
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Curtis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm
Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the new venue at Hollywood Park will be covered with a dome?
Hadn't thought about a dome since the days when a track in the San Fernando valley was being discussed.

But I have thought about rolling out a tarp much like Major League Baseball does to protect their infields from rain.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm

stark wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Curtis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm
Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the new venue at Hollywood Park will be covered with a dome?
Hadn't thought about a dome since the days when a track in the San Fernando valley was being discussed.

But I have thought about rolling out a tarp much like Major League Baseball does to protect their infields from rain.
Probably not that easy to do that and ensure the presence/absence of moisture is uniform around the whole track.
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Many days I can recall them announcing that immediately after the last race they would be sealing the track in anticipation of overnight rains.
Seems like a perfect opportunity to roll out a mile of tarp that would keep 99 percent of the rain off.
Probably be easier and quicker than sealing once it's figured out how to do it and handle the runoff to the inside.
TouchOfGrey

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 pm

@DRFInsidePost
1m1 minute ago
The Stronach Group has announced it take the unprecedented step of declaring a zero tolerance for race day medication at Santa Anita and Golden Gate, per a press release. A news conference at Santa Anita is set to begin momentarily
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
7m7 minutes ago
TVG reports the Stronach Group, which already supports the Horseracing Integrity Act, is announcing its two California tracks will impose new house rules eliminating race-day Lasix, review and revise all medication policies, and examine other issues like use of riding crop.
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm

PETA is winning.
I have a 8:15 tee time Saturday.
katmandu

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm
Interesting thread...

Drayden VanDyke @DraydenV
2h2 hours ago
Replying to @kaitlinefree
Not the surface. the quality of horses. Surface is good might be a tad hard but not the main problem trust me I’m on it
https://twitter.com/DraydenV/status/1106230356158513152
This has been my "intuition" all along. It began with Ritvo(?) making a comment early on about not having enough vet presence. And then in the last day or 2 he made a comment about they were just going to have to lose some of the horses at SA. Of course, they're going after the track first, they do want to fill races. . .
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm

PETA's quoted...

Santa Anita Implements Lasix Ban, Increased Restrictions On Therapeutic Drugs Following 22nd Fatal Breakdown
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... breakdown/
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Jeremy's article...before the press conference...not tweeted out from his BH account.

Princess Lili B 22nd Equine Fatality at Santa Anita
A day after Santa Anita Park reopened its main track for full training, Princess Lili B became the 22nd equine fatality related to racing or training at the facility since its race meet opened Dec. 26.

The California-bred Indian Gods filly trained by David Bernstein was a homebred of Bernstein and Elizabeth Philippian. Princess Lili B sustained a catastrophic injury during a timed workout on the main track March 14 and was euthanized. She is the seventh horse to be fatally injured while training on the Santa Anita main track since Feb. 17.

Her injury and death were first reported by Brad Free of the Daily Racing Form and were confirmed by Tim Ritvo, chief operating officer of The Stronach Group. California Horse Racing Board equine medical director Rick Arthur declined to comment on the specifics of Princess Lili B's injuries, as his investigation requires the process of a full necropsy. Bernstein was not available for comment Thursday morning.

"Obviously it is devastating," Ritvo said. "When you look at that filly, she's a 3-year-old filly who had two starts, a good breeze pattern, and never ran on a sealed track. A horse like that is going to be cleared (to work)."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... anta-anita
stark

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

The hillside condos might become reality sooner than any of us care for.
katmandu

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

No race day Lasix is really going to ripple. . .
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

From TSG...

AN OPEN LETTER ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THOROUGHBRED RACING IN CALIFORNIA
These revisions comprise best practices currently employed at racetracks around the world:
  • Banning the use of Lasix.
    Increasing the ban on legal therapeutic NSAIDS, joint injections, shockwave therapy, and anabolic steroids.
    Complete transparency of all veterinary records.
    Significantly increasing out-of-competition testing.
    Increasing the time required for horses to be on-site prior to a race.
    A substantial investment by The Stronach Group in diagnostic equipment to aid in the early detection of pre-existing conditions.
    Horses in training are only allowed therapeutic medication with a qualified veterinary diagnosis.
Additionally, it is time to address the growing concern about use of the riding crop. A cushion crop should only be used as a corrective safety measure. While we firmly believe our jockeys have not purposely been mistreating their mounts, it is time to make this change.
We recognize this will impact our field size as horses and horsemen adjust to this new standard. There will be horses that will not be able to race because they have required medication to do so. For those horses, we are prepared to dedicate the capital required to rehabilitate, retrain, rehome and provide aftercare for them. They deserve nothing less.
More: https://www.santaanita.com/press-releas ... Iq8yShKhPa