2019 Three-Year-Olds

Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 am

Happy Endings wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 am
Hidden Scroll is still on the Derby Trail for now. I posted a link to an article from TDN with interview quotes from his connections under Horse Followings. They said they are not going to give up just yet. They want to wait and see how he does the next few weeks. They think he ran well considering how the race played out.
Interesting how Bill Finley seems to blame the loss on Joel Rosario. You don't usually see that in print unless it's a quote from a trainer or owner. I'm glad they are keeping their options open. No need to decide just now, and I can't wait to see how this works out. Thanks for posting the article, Happy Endings.
peeptoad

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:47 am

Happy Endings wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 am
Hidden Scroll is still on the Derby Trail for now. I posted a link to an article from TDN with interview quotes from his connections under Horse Followings. They said they are not going to give up just yet. They want to wait and see how he does the next few weeks. They think he ran well considering how the race played out.
Good to hear. He deserves another chance especially since he seems to be one of the more talented on the trail thus far. It's certainly not going to ruin the horse to run in one more Derby prep.
thinair

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 am

peeptoad wrote:

Good to hear. He deserves another chance especially since he seems to be one of the more talented on the trail thus far. It's certainly not going to ruin the horse to run in one more Derby prep.
But where does the cycle end? So he gets a relatively easy final Derby prep, let's say like Pulpit or Holy Bull did in their respective Blue Grasses, and then he gets thrown into the KY Derby mess, and maybe there is some other significant, and talented, speed in there, and it's not a great experience, and the wheels come off from there. Surely we have seen this before. It's hard to give examples without the appearance of pointing fingers, which wouldn't be my intention, but ( to use your word ) "certainly" we know a lot of the examples. There are a lot of examples where horses are pushed for that one race, and they win it, but the future results don't justify the decision. It takes the right connections to make the right decision. I think Mott and Juddmonte are the right connections. That doesn't mean they won't forge ahead. That doesn't mean that will be the wrong decision. I trust whatever they do will be in the best interests of Hidden Scroll. However, horse racing is often about using the past to try to predict the future. The past says the likeliest ( surely not the "certain" ) best decision would be to take a step back with this horse. Fair?
peeptoad

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm

thinair wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:09 am
peeptoad wrote:

But where does the cycle end? So he gets a relatively easy final Derby prep, let's say like Pulpit or Holy Bull did in their respective Blue Grasses, and then he gets thrown into the KY Derby mess, and maybe there is some other significant, and talented, speed in there, and it's not a great experience, and the wheels come off from there. Surely we have seen this before. It's hard to give examples without the appearance of pointing fingers, which wouldn't be my intention, but ( to use your word ) "certainly" we know a lot of the examples. There are a lot of examples where horses are pushed for that one race, and they win it, but the future results don't justify the decision. It takes the right connections to make the right decision. I think Mott and Juddmonte are the right connections. That doesn't mean they won't forge ahead. That doesn't mean that will be the wrong decision. I trust whatever they do will be in the best interests of Hidden Scroll. However, horse racing is often about using the past to try to predict the future. The past says the likeliest ( surely not the "certain" ) best decision would be to take a step back with this horse. Fair?
Yes, I agree, "fair". But-
he doesn't need to get thrown into the Derby mess just because he engages in one more prep. I think the prep, against what are supposed to be his more accomplished peers will tell the connections more about where the horse stands, competitively. It doesn't mean they need to persevere with him to the actual Derby. Maybe they won't keep on with him now, which is fine. It's simply my opinion that it would be nice to see more from him now since his career just began and he seems to be very talented. If the horse fails again with different pace scenario/different set up, then maybe they back off, let him mature and come back for the Travers, or try him on the grass.
And, I still maintain, that it "certainly" is not going to be the end of the horse's career/ruin him if he runs in one more prep (unless god forbid he's injured during the race, but that could potentially happen at any time). I agree Juddmonte and Mott are the "right connections". If they decide to run him again it will be because they think it's right for the horse.
Curtis

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Do we know where Hofburg is now?
Somnambulist

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Curtis wrote:
Poor Hofburg. The hype around that one made my brain hurt sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
thinair

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Curtis wrote:
Exactly.
Curtis

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Curtis wrote:
And that’s why I brought up Peace the other day. Mandella and Mott could co-author a book on Patience and Horsemanship. The TC ain’t gonna be the title of a chapter though. I hope Hidden Scroll is as far away from Louisville as I will be on May 4th and I’ll be in Bozeman, MT at my daughter’s graduation.
Catalina

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Curtis wrote:
OK, I'll bite: Where IS Hofburg?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Hidden Scroll to point to Fla. Derby, with Wood & Blue Grass as back-ups; rider "undecided", all per Mott
Hidden Scroll, the beaten favorite after setting a wicked pace in the Fountain of Youth on Saturday at Gulfstream Park, will be considered for the Grade 1, $1 million Florida Derby on March 30 or races the following week, including the Grade 2, $750,000 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct and Grade 2, $1 million Blue Grass at Keeneland, trainer Bill Mott said Monday.

“Those are all our options,” said Mott, who said he was impressed with how well Hidden Scroll ran under the circumstances, and how well he seems to have come out of the race.

“He came out of it well,” Mott said. “He doesn’t seem to be knocked out. Acts pretty darn good. It hasn’t affected his appetite. He seems bright, looking over the stall door.”
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47238-hidde ... l-per-mott
Horsebagger

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:03 pm

I liked Hidden Scroll's effort on Saturday, and strongly expect he moves forward off that race. To the point where I would take him in a head to head against Code of Honor in their next 3 meetings. If you didn't have COH on Saturday, you're getting the worst of the odds on him going forward.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Madaket Stables Buys Into Tikhvin Flew, Comedian
Sol Kumin’s Madaket Stables has purchased a minority interest in 3-year-old colts Comedian (Into Mischief) and Tikhvin Flew (Street Sense). They will both run under the ownership of Bloom Racing Stable and Madaket Stables, carrying the Bloom Racing Stable silks. Tikhvin Flew is scheduled to run in Saturday’s GIII Gotham S. at Aqueduct, while Comedian broke his maiden last out going a mile Feb. 18 at Oaklawn. Both colts are trained by Steve Asmussen. Madaket and Bloom had previously partnered on MGISW Midnight Bloom (Midnight Lute).
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ma ... w-comedian
stark

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 pm

How far did Game Winner work, geesh.

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Improbable looked super going 5f in 59.20 with big gallop out under @DraydenV. "He's ready," said Baffert. Will run in Rebel at Oaklawn next Sat.
Mucho Gusto fast 5f in 57.80 on Baffert watch, likely to await Sunland Derby.
Game Winner works in 30 minutes #derbywatch
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Game Winner and Improbable definite for Rebel, Mucho Gusto will go to Sunland Derby, all per Baffert just now
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
blamethewinner

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 pm
Madaket Stables Buys Into Tikhvin Flew, Comedian
Sol Kumin’s Madaket Stables has purchased a minority interest in 3-year-old colts Comedian (Into Mischief) and Tikhvin Flew (Street Sense). They will both run under the ownership of Bloom Racing Stable and Madaket Stables, carrying the Bloom Racing Stable silks. Tikhvin Flew is scheduled to run in Saturday’s GIII Gotham S. at Aqueduct, while Comedian broke his maiden last out going a mile Feb. 18 at Oaklawn. Both colts are trained by Steve Asmussen. Madaket and Bloom had previously partnered on MGISW Midnight Bloom (Midnight Lute).
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ma ... w-comedian
Good move. The over-under on graded stake wins for those 2 in 2019 is 0.5 and 99%. Of the action is on the under.
Diver52

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:57 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 pm
How far did Game Winner work, geesh.

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Improbable looked super going 5f in 59.20 with big gallop out under @DraydenV. "He's ready," said Baffert. Will run in Rebel at Oaklawn next Sat.
Mucho Gusto fast 5f in 57.80 on Baffert watch, likely to await Sunland Derby.
Game Winner works in 30 minutes #derbywatch
[/quote

LOL. Must be prepping for a (human) marathon. ]
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
katmandu

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Improbable indeed looked beastly:

https://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/impr ... -9th-2019/

The other Baffert horses shown also.
Squeaky

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Improbable looked spectacular. Best work I have seen all year.
Tessablue

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Getting way ahead of things here, but what happens when these suicidal pacesetters get weeded out and the Derby ends up anything besides insanely fast? The pace in these preps has been ridiculous.

Much Better ran tremendously well and has a bright future, although probably not as a Derby horse. Instagrand gets a pass but didn't do anything worth getting excited about; Haikal got such a perfect setup that he's hard to discuss, although he did genuinely close pretty well there.

Tacitus is a horse I really like- he also got a perfect trip, but he was stretching out on a tough track off the layoff for Mott, and I really liked how he finished and split horses despite his inexperience (and some difficulty changing leads). Such a lovely pedigree and there's no reason to think he won't move forward off this effort. And if you still like the workmate who has routinely buried him in the mornings, 11-1 wasn't a terrible price in the future pool...

Zenden ran the best race by far though. First route, quarterhorsed out of the gate from an outside post, set an insane pressured pace, barely beaten into fourth. He doesn't really have the pedigree or feel of a Derby horse, but keep an eye on him wherever he shows up next.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Castellano has picked up the mount on Hidden Scroll for the Florida Derby, per trainer Mott
Javier Castellano has picked up the mount on Hidden Scroll for the Grade 1, $1 million Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park on March 30, trainer Bill Mott said Tuesday.

Hidden Scroll most recently finished fourth in the Fountain of Youth Stakes on March 2 at Gulfstream after setting a swift early pace. He was ridden in that race, and his only other start -- a runaway victory against maidens in January at Gulfstream -- by Joel Rosario, but Mott said days after the Fountain of the Youth that Rosario would be replaced and, at the time, listed the mount as undecided.
More: live.drf.com/nuggets/47303-castellano-h ... ainer-mott