2019 Three-Year-Olds

Somnambulist

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Is there any other sports whose pinnacle event is controlled by an private Corp (or are they public idk). I feel like their is a body determining these things not just one corporation.

The amount of power afforded to CDI is strange.
Curtis

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm
Is there any other sports whose pinnacle event is controlled by an private Corp (or are they public idk). I feel like their is a body determining these things not just one corporation.

The amount of power afforded to CDI is strange.
I guess it depends on what you consider the NCAA to be......Even as a card carrying liberal Democrat who in essence believes in big government, I’m not sure I’m behind the National Horse Racing Governing body thing, but it could sure change the Road to the Derby.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
14 minutes ago
Significant update regarding Anothertwistafate. He's stuck at Sunland while the equine herpesvirus situation gets resolved at Golden Gate. His trainer, Blaine Wright, confirmed a horse in his barn is the one who died. @DRFHegarty with more:
https://www.drf.com/news/preview/golden ... s/all-news

Horse Stabled At Golden Gate Fields Diagnosed With Neurotropic Equine Herpesvirus
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... rpesvirus/
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
38m38 minutes ago
UPDATE: One barn is quarantined but horses are now allowed to ship in or out of non-quarantined barns at Golden Gate Fields as result of EHV-1
Curtis

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Ray Paulick @raypaulick
38m38 minutes ago
UPDATE: One barn is quarantined but horses are now allowed to ship in or out of non-quarantined barns at Golden Gate Fields as result of EHV-1
I don’t know if I believe in jinxes, but I wouldn’t want to be in an elevator or even in the same building as anyone named Stronach right about now.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Ray Paulick @raypaulick
38m38 minutes ago
I don’t know if I believe in jinxes, but I wouldn’t want to be in an elevator or even in the same building as anyone named Stronach right about now.
It really does feel that way. Racing in CA is in critical condition, and now this. And poor Blaine Wright...what a punch in the gut. Glad that Bella is back in training at EMD and not with his string in CA.
Curtis

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm
Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Ray Paulick @raypaulick
38m38 minutes ago
It really does feel that way. Racing in CA is in critical condition, and now this. And poor Blaine Wright...what a punch in the gut. Glad that Bella is back in training at EMD and not with his string in CA.
I see Riser worked at EMD today. Hopefully he’ll come back the same.
Big Ten

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 am

I'm actually glad Improbable and Omaha Beach will run in the Arkansas Derby. Is it even safe to run at Santa Anita? I'm not going to attend the Santa Anita Derby next month. Game Winner is a very nice horse but he doesn't wow me.

The one last year when Justify won, that was worth the trip. I knew the moment he won the race, he was going to win the roses no matter what. There was buzz before he even ran that this could be Baffert's own Easy Goer.

Last year's SA Derby was the only live race I attended in 2018. This year, I'll likely have none.

https://www.bovada.lv/sports/horses-fut ... 1905040900
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Curtis

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Big Ten wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 am
I'm actually glad Improbable and Omaha Beach will run in the Arkansas Derby. Is it even safe to run at Santa Anita? I'm not going to attend the Santa Anita Derby next month. Game Winner is a very nice horse but he doesn't wow me.

The one last year when Justify won, that was worth the trip. I knew the moment he won the race, he was going to win the roses no matter what. There was buzz before he even ran that this could be Baffert's own Easy Goer.

Last year's SA Derby was the only live race I attended in 2018. This year, I'll likely have none.

https://www.bovada.lv/sports/horses-fut ... 1905040900
Were you more wowed by Affirmed or Alydar?
Somnambulist

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Probably neither. I can't imagine being a racing fan and not going to support your local prep if your schedule allows it.

It'll be a lot nicer at SA than it will at Aqueduct that's for sure
Mylute

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Mind Control Off Derby Trail, Will Stick To One-Turn Races
Sacco said Mind Control's connections, including Red Oak Stable's co-owner Steve Brunetti and his brother, Red Oak racing manager Rick Sacco, made the decision to run in the Bay Shore, a seven-furlong contest for 3-year-olds, instead of the 1 1/8-mile Wood. Sacco said the plan would then be to target the Grade 1, $400,000 Woody Stephens, also run at seven furlongs, on Belmont Stakes Day on Saturday, June 8.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... urn-races/
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
ElPrado2

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Were you alive for Affirmed and Alydar?
stark

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
One of the very few days I decided to take my camera along with me to the saddling ring April 2, 1978 for the Santa Anita Derby. Had a hunch he was going to be something worth remembering.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
If this a general question for everyone, no. I'm a '99 model.
"I'm here, free as the wind, fountain of extraordinary knowledge, splendidly corrupt, and eager to be of profitable service."
~ Peter Lorre 1904 - 1̶9̶6̶4̶ ∞
ElPrado2

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm

And I'm a '52 model myself.
I was really wondering if Big Ten knew what a horse was then.
Curtis

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:10 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Indeed I was. Affirmed with Pincay up, was probably the best horse I’ve seen race in person.
Apollo

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 pm

I was a teenager in Miami during Affirmed and Alydar. An old time sportswriter named Luther Evans was covering horse racing for the Miami Herald and hosting a weekly 90 minute sports talk show on WKAT. Alydar was thriving in Florida that winter. Evans thought he would win the Derby. The consensus locally was the same. But I'll never forget when a snow bird from New York called that radio show one Sunday night and basically told them they were nuts: "That one horse simply out gutted the other one several times last year. I saw it in person. I see no reason anything will change at 3."

I remember being briefly startled. Conventional wisdom was that Affirmed was a bit lethargic in California, compared to expectation. But that caller was so matter of fact yet so authoritative I had a feeling he would probably be correct.

I fruitlessly rooted for Alydar in the Derby. Actually I was rooting for Sensitive Prince and Allen Jerkens but realistically I was waiting for Alydar to show up.

He was so late it was like a forecast of Easy Goer more than a decade later. In fact, as soon as I saw Easy Goer straining to catch Sunday Silence I was thinking of Alydar's plight.

I tried to kid myself heading to Pimlico but as soon as they were side by side in the Preakness stretch I didn't waste any time rooting for Alydar. I thought of the caller to the radio show and was certain he would be correct. Unless Alydar caught a major break like Affirmed being stuck in traffic and unable to see Alydar, it simply wasn't going to happen.

Same in New York. Great head to head battle but I just waited to see how Affirmed would pull it out. Of all the famous and very close sporting events of my lifetime I think that one held the least amount of suspense to me, toward how it would finish.
Happy Endings

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:16 am

Apollo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 pm
I was a teenager in Miami during Affirmed and Alydar. An old time sportswriter named Luther Evans was covering horse racing for the Miami Herald and hosting a weekly 90 minute sports talk show on WKAT. Alydar was thriving in Florida that winter. Evans thought he would win the Derby. The consensus locally was the same. But I'll never forget when a snow bird from New York called that radio show one Sunday night and basically told them they were nuts: "That one horse simply out gutted the other one several times last year. I saw it in person. I see no reason anything will change at 3."

I remember being briefly startled. Conventional wisdom was that Affirmed was a bit lethargic in California, compared to expectation. But that caller was so matter of fact yet so authoritative I had a feeling he would probably be correct.

I fruitlessly rooted for Alydar in the Derby. Actually I was rooting for Sensitive Prince and Allen Jerkens but realistically I was waiting for Alydar to show up.

He was so late it was like a forecast of Easy Goer more than a decade later. In fact, as soon as I saw Easy Goer straining to catch Sunday Silence I was thinking of Alydar's plight.

I tried to kid myself heading to Pimlico but as soon as they were side by side in the Preakness stretch I didn't waste any time rooting for Alydar. I thought of the caller to the radio show and was certain he would be correct. Unless Alydar caught a major break like Affirmed being stuck in traffic and unable to see Alydar, it simply wasn't going to happen.

Same in New York. Great head to head battle but I just waited to see how Affirmed would pull it out. Of all the famous and very close sporting events of my lifetime I think that one held the least amount of suspense to me, toward how it would finish.
That was fun to read. Thank you for sharing!
Big Ten

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:29 am

I don't see the Derby favorite or winner coming out of Florida this year.

2012 - California
2013 - Florida
2014 - California
2015 - Arkansas
2016 - Florida
2017 - Florida
2018 - California

I believe the Derby favorite and winner will come out of Arkansas this year. Maybe California if the winner of the Santa Anita Derby who is probably Game Winner is impressive enough.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Diver52

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:59 am

I saw Affirmed as a four year old at Santa Anita. An honor.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.