Road to the Derby Race of the Day

Matt Converse
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:25 am

blamethewinner wrote: There was nothing fast about his opening half-mile. He absolutely walked on the lead
Yep. I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. Being able to run 24 quarters is what you want to see in a Derby horse, especially the latter ones. But the opening half was just barely faster, that's a slow pace at Santa Anita, or most anywhere in a one mile race. I'm impressed with him but that first half should have had a bow on it.
Sound of Freedom
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 am

dustino140 wrote:Bayern could be the type of horse that the infatuation with the Derby is a detriment to. Nice effort today, but getting him from here to there in just 2 months seems like it's going to be a tough task.
He is on virtually the same course as Bodemeister. Bode's second race was 2/11. This horse 2/13.
Kennedy
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:40 pm

98 BSF for Bayern
User avatar
larrythek
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles / San Francisco

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:18 pm

BSF 98 ..........Follows 7F Debut BSF of 92

larrythek wrote:Bayern won by 15 1/2 lengths and is a legitimate derby horse. The performance and gallop out were eye-opening for me.. Judging by the times during the day which were not fast until his 1:35.77 mile it was easily the fastest of the day.. He was under a moderate hand ride by Gary Stevens through the stretch and he continued to run strongly for another 1/16 or so in the G.O.. I imagine Stevens wanted to see what Bayern had under the hood because there was no competition in the race. If Candy Boy and Bayern both make it to the derby I imagine Stevens would ride Bayern. The son of Offlee Wild out of a Thunder Gulch mare will present no problems in getting 10F. Reminds me a lot of Bodemeister in his late appearance to the Derby Trail on just pure raw ability. Not racing at 2 however and running what almost certainly needs to be 4 races at 3 leading up to a 10F race is enough for this observer to temper my enthusiasm.

Comparison Races
The time in the 8th race for $30K Maiden Claimers winner Reps and Warrants was 1:24.03 ...In his last race he was 4th (-2 lengths) to Still Unbroken who finished the 7F in 1:25.48 giving him a time of 125.78 which makes todays race 1.75 seconds faster......This would suggest to me that the track was faster later in the day..

Guess the BSF?? BSF 97
Matt Converse
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Kennedy wrote:98 BSF for Bayern
Going by the numbers, he would have beat Candy Boy by a length after an opening half of almost 48.
Sound of Freedom
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:30 pm

The west coast is coming alive. Today. Race 6 at Santa Anita. Richard Mandela has a first time starter named Simon Kenton. He is an Empire Maker out of an Old Trieste mare. Has some really nice works. He may be too late to join the party but we will see.


http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewe ... m3=1002972
Sound of Freedom
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:56 pm

The Admiral wins in 122 and change. Not sure what to think of him. A Giants Causeway with Baffert has to get some attention but he may be a miler.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 pm

I saw his race, and he did win as he pleased. Handsome horse...wonder if they will try stretching him out next?
blamethewinner
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I saw his race, and he did win as he pleased. Handsome horse...wonder if they will try stretching him out next?
He's gone long twice with no success. The blinkers helped, but he made a pretty easy lead against a questionable field. I wouldn't expect much moving forward.
Sound of Freedom
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Saturday at Gulfstream. Constitution, Tonalist, Mexicoma, Wicked Strong, and Matterhorn. Incredible race.

8.5f, so we have a nice race to compare to FOY.

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Claim $ Jockey Wgt Trainer
1 Sea of Faces (KY) 3/C L $0 P Lopez 120 A Sano
2 Rhythm Blues (ON) 3/C $0 C J Lanerie 118 M R Matz
3 Matterhorn (KY) 3/C L $0 L Saez 118 T A Pletcher
4 Solemnly Swear (KY) 3/C L $0 D Davis 1135 K J Breen
5 We're All Set (FL) 3/C L $0 E S Prado 118 W A Kaplan
6 Constitution (KY) 3/C L $0 J Castellano 118 T A Pletcher
7 Big Guy Ian (KY) 3/C L $0 J Rocco, Jr. 122 M Dilger
8 Tonalist (KY) 3/C L $0 J Bravo 120 C Clement
9 Wicked Strong (KY) 3/C L $0 J Lezcano 118 J A Jerkens
10 Mexikoma (FL) 3/C L $0 J Rosario 118 R C Mettee
islandgirl45
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Saturday at Gulfstream. Constitution, Tonalist, Mexicoma, Wicked Strong, and Matterhorn. Incredible race.

8.5f, so we have a nice race to compare to FOY.

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Claim $ Jockey Wgt Trainer
1 Sea of Faces (KY) 3/C L $0 P Lopez 120 A Sano
2 Rhythm Blues (ON) 3/C $0 C J Lanerie 118 M R Matz
3 Matterhorn (KY) 3/C L $0 L Saez 118 T A Pletcher
4 Solemnly Swear (KY) 3/C L $0 D Davis 1135 K J Breen
5 We're All Set (FL) 3/C L $0 E S Prado 118 W A Kaplan
6 Constitution (KY) 3/C L $0 J Castellano 118 T A Pletcher
7 Big Guy Ian (KY) 3/C L $0 J Rocco, Jr. 122 M Dilger
8 Tonalist (KY) 3/C L $0 J Bravo 120 C Clement
9 Wicked Strong (KY) 3/C L $0 J Lezcano 118 J A Jerkens
10 Mexikoma (FL) 3/C L $0 J Rosario 118 R C Mettee
FYI, there's already a thread on this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Sound of Freedom
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:15 pm

islandgirl45 wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote:Saturday at Gulfstream. Constitution, Tonalist, Mexicoma, Wicked Strong, and Matterhorn. Incredible race.

8.5f, so we have a nice race to compare to FOY.

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Claim $ Jockey Wgt Trainer
1 Sea of Faces (KY) 3/C L $0 P Lopez 120 A Sano
2 Rhythm Blues (ON) 3/C $0 C J Lanerie 118 M R Matz
3 Matterhorn (KY) 3/C L $0 L Saez 118 T A Pletcher
4 Solemnly Swear (KY) 3/C L $0 D Davis 1135 K J Breen
5 We're All Set (FL) 3/C L $0 E S Prado 118 W A Kaplan
6 Constitution (KY) 3/C L $0 J Castellano 118 T A Pletcher
7 Big Guy Ian (KY) 3/C L $0 J Rocco, Jr. 122 M Dilger
8 Tonalist (KY) 3/C L $0 J Bravo 120 C Clement
9 Wicked Strong (KY) 3/C L $0 J Lezcano 118 J A Jerkens
10 Mexikoma (FL) 3/C L $0 J Rosario 118 R C Mettee
FYI, there's already a thread on this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045
For your information they corrected it after I posted it here. Read their thread. He had wrong race in there. For some reason he posted the FOY.

There is a very talented horse named Constitution in here, so you and the Obama cult probably should not watch. lol

There is a horse named Liberal Spin running against Normandy Invasion Saturday. Probably more your thing.
islandgirl45
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:
islandgirl45 wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote:Saturday at Gulfstream. Constitution, Tonalist, Mexicoma, Wicked Strong, and Matterhorn. Incredible race.

8.5f, so we have a nice race to compare to FOY.

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Claim $ Jockey Wgt Trainer
1 Sea of Faces (KY) 3/C L $0 P Lopez 120 A Sano
2 Rhythm Blues (ON) 3/C $0 C J Lanerie 118 M R Matz
3 Matterhorn (KY) 3/C L $0 L Saez 118 T A Pletcher
4 Solemnly Swear (KY) 3/C L $0 D Davis 1135 K J Breen
5 We're All Set (FL) 3/C L $0 E S Prado 118 W A Kaplan
6 Constitution (KY) 3/C L $0 J Castellano 118 T A Pletcher
7 Big Guy Ian (KY) 3/C L $0 J Rocco, Jr. 122 M Dilger
8 Tonalist (KY) 3/C L $0 J Bravo 120 C Clement
9 Wicked Strong (KY) 3/C L $0 J Lezcano 118 J A Jerkens
10 Mexikoma (FL) 3/C L $0 J Rosario 118 R C Mettee
FYI, there's already a thread on this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045
For your information they corrected it after I posted it here. Read their thread. He had wrong race in there. For some reason he posted the FOY.

There is a very talented horse named Constitution in here, so you and the Obama cult probably should not watch. lol

There is a horse named Liberal Spin running against Normandy Invasion Saturday. Probably more your thing.
lol, is this you using those "50 IQ points" again? ;) Better confine the wing-nut talking points to the political forum Chris/Sound/Skywalker.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Post Reply